Would you chip in if a Kickstarter were in place to add more content to CV:HD?

#11DPC20XXPosted 3/23/2013 6:01:08 PM
I like the idea of the "Hardcore Mode", but there may be consequences. Imagine someone glitching at the beginning of chapter ten and exiting the game for five partners to suffer Dracula's spiral of death. Or five players are fighting Dracula and one outside the door keeps attracting his attention, screwing up the team. Intentional or not, that doesn't seem fair to me.

Something I'd like to see tweaked is the after-images Soma and Alucard have. Why should they have them without any speed boosting equips when someone else has sonic boots?
---
"The things I do for love..." - Courage, The Cowardly Dog
GT: PC20XX
#12Thenarus(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 10:15:58 PM
Yeah, having a mode where you risk everything you have equipped would be a fast way to piss a lot of people off. There are a few other ways we've come up with to make money more important:

-Have the Miser Ring have a progressive leveling system. Instead of a simple $1M per level, have the levels require $1M more than the level before it. 1/3/6/10/15/21/28/36/45/55 would be the final spread, and it fits for just how strong the item is.

-Put more one-time usable items in the Shop. Things as small as Meal Tickets, and as large as specialized food or potions with great but temporary effects, would go a long way toward making people actually have something worth spending on toward the end of the game. Some characters could even get things like one-shot attack items. (Just nothing that wipes the entire screen like Power of Sire or anything that crazy.)

-Create an option in the game to forge items. It would cost a good deal of money, and a healthy number of items (including ones you normally couldn't sell) would immediately be more useful. Something like 5x Mercury Boots, 5x Winged Boots, and $1M to get some Sonic Boots (this is just a rough example; just think about the concept and not the specifics here).

-Have another option to item crush at various tiers. Give up a 1-star item and $100, and you get a random 1-star item from any point in the game, for any character. This goes up progressively in powers of ten for each higher level of item, up to 5-star items costing you a different 5-star item and $1M each time you attempt it. This mode could really make collecting multiples of otherwise mediocre or redundant items worth doing.

Regarding a "hardcore" mode, I really like the idea of a Boss Rush mode. There are several ways this could be implemented, and would add some real replayability to the game without creating a lot of work for programmers.

What about specific item sets, or new slots for old and new characters? The two things that really set Soma apart are his mobility (thanks to Yorick and Puppet Master), and his ability to choose to pump up his stats with yellow souls. What if more characters had options to do things like this? Alucard could get the Vlad items from SotN, and possibly some familiars, and that's just one example.

There are so many options for items throughout the CV series, and that could be made exclusively for this game, that having new things to hunt for in ten more stages wouldn't be a problem. What would you add/adapt if you had the chance?
#13petrie11111Posted 3/23/2013 10:44:19 PM
DPC20XX posted...
I like the idea of the "Hardcore Mode", but there may be consequences. Imagine someone glitching at the beginning of chapter ten and exiting the game for five partners to suffer Dracula's spiral of death. Or five players are fighting Dracula and one outside the door keeps attracting his attention, screwing up the team. Intentional or not, that doesn't seem fair to me.

Which is why you don't play with randoms when you care about the result of the game. Pretty simple, really.
#14DPC20XXPosted 3/24/2013 4:08:40 AM
petrie11111 posted...

Which is why you don't play with randoms when you care about the result of the game. Pretty simple, really.

I didn't say randoms. I meant to say if the game slip-ups were intentional or not. I've had lobbies full of buddies in the past where we are all confident in winning and turn out to be denied because of one mess-up. Just imagine if Dracula suddenly flies to the entrance right as the player gets to the door. If that guy screws it up, he's gone from the team. It's not fair to the five players who were fighting and it's not fair to the player that was coming to be shunned like that.

I like the miser ring system you suggest, TC. Very interesting. Leveling up like that would make players go for all the loot in chapter ten and only the hardcore players are really going to be aiming to get that much money. To satisfy, I guess the requirement for achieving "Wicked Deep Pockets" would need to be changed to some amount much higher.

What I'd add is a challenge mode that can only be unlocked if a player has certain equips or is at a certain power level. I see this in two ways:

1) A (rewarding) boss rush concept. This would have a character go through chapters one through eleven with a few conditions. For example, a character can only use hunter skills or personal skills. The reward would be a ring that doubles INT when someone doesn't use a main weapon during a chapter.

2) A (non-rewarding) set of specific challenges. This would have a character go through a chapter with a few conditions or puzzles. A few examples: As Maria, defeat Menace using only three attacks on Normal difficulty, as Alucard, have the puppet master place a puppet in all of the maidens at least once before attacking again, or have Soma go through Hard chapter ten without jumping in mid-air even once.

But yeah, there should be additions that balance out difficulty and having a good time. I play as Soma Belmont randomly and it's been fun despite having trouble.
---
"The things I do for love..." - Courage, The Cowardly Dog
GT: PC20XX
#15Braindead_PanPosted 3/25/2013 2:38:10 PM
So far, a lot of great ideas here.

For those who haven't looked at the bosses thread, check it out as it's a spin-off of this thread.

If you haven't signed the petition yet, please do so! While a petition in and of itself may or may not be enough to get DLC, it is a way to show your interest in getting new DLC and a large number of signatures on the petition combined with a kickstarter and other arguments will only increase the chance of success. Numbers talk.

For those who have yet to sign the petition, you can find it here:

http://tinyurl.com/dlc-4-cvhd

That said, trying to wrap up concepts for character DLC based on things I've seen requested on the forum. will try to have something up by the end of the week. As usual, we want to make sure that whatever is proposed (a) would enhance the game, not just add to it and (b) be as easy to implement as possible.

Will try to get what we've come up with polished and on the board by the end of the week.
---
Sign the Petition for new Castlevania Harmony of Despair Content!
#16Braindead_PanPosted 3/28/2013 11:41:46 PM
As fun as the hardcore mode and the idea of sacrificing items for a chance to get new items are, the way the game saves data would allow either to be exploited to ridiculous lengths. All you would have to do is back up your data to one storage location and load from another. Then, if you lost your items or didn't get the item you wanted, you could simply copy the old file over the new and do it again.

This could be resolved by making game saves "move only" files (ala Arkham City) , but changing something like that to add a new feature doesn't make sense. Besides, if there were ever a game where being able to keep a back-up of your game save was an important feature...

Thenarus's original idea of a crafting tree makes the most sense as there really isn't any way to exploit it and there wouldn't be anywhere near the same level of player frustration as players know in advance what they're going to get.
---
#17JanayBerryPosted 3/31/2013 7:05:58 PM(edited)
A neat idea!?:

Rework it with new abilities and chapters that require certain characters to get through.

In single-player, you play chapters based on chosen character.

In multiplayer, a chapter has a device that only certain characters can activate; Soma needs to stand on this platform that opens a door for Julius who needs to swing across some spikes to get through opened door. This way, it kinda makes you communicate with your team and not make picking 6 Alucards a good idea.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: KKA OMEGA Jim
Favorites (since 3/31/13): Hard Corps: Uprising, Double Dragon Neon, Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, Ikaruga.
#18Thenarus(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 1:33:01 AM
A total rework isn't going to happen, if anything were to happen at all. We might get some tweaks, as we saw before to some specific items and abilities, and some new content, but changing fundamental aspects of the existing game is a sure way to both waste money and anger much of the player base.

The idea to allow better or more exclusive access to parts of stages based on character choice is an idea worth exploring, though, and would be nice to see in some future (dream?) DLC.
#19Braindead_PanPosted 4/12/2013 11:55:31 PM
Sorry to be late on this, but wanted to make sure this was completely ironed out before posting it. Thenarus and I went back and forth on the gaps in the abilities of characters in the game and also looked at all the playable characters that have appeared in the series and trimmed it down to those new characters we felt would be easy to implement and would add something new to Harmony (not just more of the same). Here's what we came up with:

- Fixes and Updates to Existing Characters:

- Note: Names in " " are temporary placeholders

- Add a passive item slot to ALL Characters! (like Soma's Yellow Souls)

- Charlotte
- New Passive Item Slot, "Spirits"
- Give Charlotte a Triple Jump (to compensate for no jump kick)
- Change Delta Spark so it can be cast mid-air
- Return Invincibility Window to Heal Spell (this is her evasion skill!)

- Alucard
- New Passive Item Slot, Relics
- Remove the delay from Alucard's back dash to allow fast dashing
- Fix Shields to give block mechanic like Charlotte's RB ability
- Fix The Wolf Slide
- Slightly Increase length of Wolf Slide
- Shorten duration of Static Wolf at end

- Johnathan Morris
- New Passive Item Slot "Virtues"
- Upgrade Guard: If pressed at exact attack, no damage + some MP
- Flame Whip: Hold Y button on/off (+ATK; Fire dmg; burns MP/sec)

- Richter Belmont
- New Passive Item Slot, "Virtues"
- Fix Richter's sprite/hitbox so he doesn't get hit more often facing left

- Julius Belmont
- Grand Cross?

- Simon Belmont
- Simon can equip a fifth Hunter Skill to RB

- Getsu Fuma
- Press RB: Drop Smoke Bomb and Reappear up one jump height
- Can Press <-- or --> to appear on ground one jump length away
- Can Press diagonals to go one jump length up and to side
- After appearing in air, automatically goes to sword spin
- Can do second jump after if in air after
- Fuma Brothers Hunter Skill: 3 different color Fumas attack together

- Shanoa
- New Passive Item Slot, Back Glyphs
- Add the Rapier glyph union as a special if 2 Confodere equipped

- Maria
- Drop Kick Martial Art (forward Jump Kick)
- Special Weapon Attack: Energy Ball (hold X?, Y? to charge)
- Give Maria a Triple Jump?

- Yoko
- Medusa Soul-like hover at R.Medusa (or cheaper) cost on RB
- Yoko's Staff heals/hit based on sub weapon levels (1/2/3/4?)
- Give Yoko a Triple Jump (to compensate for no jump kick)
---
#20Braindead_PanPosted 4/13/2013 12:09:22 AM
Potential New Characters (1/5)

- Nathan Graves

- Weapons: Starts with and Can Only Equip Hunter's Whip

- Subweapons: Same as Whip Users

- Hats: Same as Whip Users

- Armor: Same as Whip Users

- Boots: Same as Whip Users

- Cloaks: Same as Whip Users

- Accessories: Same as Whip Users

- Two Passive Slots: One for "Type" Cards; One for "Element" Cards
- DSS "Type" Card
- DSS "Element" Card

- DSS Card Combos (Specific "Types" and "Elements" together)

- Mercury Card (Whip Enhancements) RB for Special Swing -MP
- Salamander Card (Fire) RB to fire whip (fire dmg; +dmg)
- Serpent Card (Ice) RB to ice whip (ice dmg; freeze chance)
- Thunderbird Card (Lit) RB holds whip to do constant dmg
- Unicorn Card (Holy) RB to holy whip (holy dmg; +HP/hit)
- Black Dog Card (Dark) RB to dark whip +dmg, -speed

- Venus Card (Stat Buffs) Passive
- Salamander Card (Fire) +1 STR/level
- Serpent Card (Ice) +2 CON/level
- Thunderbird (Card (Lightning) +1 INT/level
- Unicorn Card (Holy) +1 MIND/level
- Black Dog Card (Dark) +1 LUCK/level

- Jupiter Card (Shields and Defenses) (add regen?) RB toggle
- Salamander Card (Fire) Fire shield (orbiting fireballs/Buer?)
- Serpent Card (Ice) Ice shield (orbiting iceballs that freeze)
- Thunderbird (Card (Lit) damaged halved, but hits make fly
- Unicorn Card (Holy) Regenerate health like R. The Creature
- Black Dog Card (Dark) guard walk circle; does damage

- Apollo Card (Special Attacks)
- Salamander Card (Fire) RB throws Firebomb (R. Firebomb?)
- Serpent Card (Ice) RB throws Icebomb; can freeze
- Thunderbird Card (Lightning) RB throws lightning ball; binds
- Unicorn Card (Holy) RB for group heal? Charlotte Style?
- Black Dog Card (Dark) RB creates black hole (Soul Steal?)

- Saturn Card (Familiars) Passive
- Salamander Card (Fire) Bat Familar
- Serpent Card (Ice) Ghost Familiar
- Thunderbird (Card (Lightning) Crow Familar (lit damage)
- Unicorn Card (Holy) Cherub Familiar (fires arrows) White Owl like Maria?
- Black Dog Card (Dark) Demon Familiar
---