Wired Connection?

#1OMCNoahPosted 9/2/2014 5:47:54 PM
I've been having tremendous lag issues the past few weeks, and I'm thinking of buying an adapter for my Ethernet cable.

Anyone use a wired connection? I've heard mixed results that they do/don't help, but seeing as the wifi in my house is a floor above where I play, I cant imagine it would hurt...
---
[OMC]Noah, leader of clan OMC.
GoldenEye Wii: Level 56 007:Legends Sp2 Lv50 Retired PSN:The_OMC_Noah
#2ProudlyHated87Posted 9/2/2014 6:11:35 PM
It makes you freeze a lot more. Not worth it.

Try getting a better router?
---
Astral Ocean
My Connection Hax: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQk1wPwuxfw&feature=youtu.be
#3OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 6:15:43 PM
ProudlyHated87 posted...
It makes you freeze a lot more. Not worth it.

Try getting a better router?

Any more than I am now? I freeze about 1-2 times an hour, idk if that's bad or what lol.
---
#4Viruss57Posted 9/2/2014 6:16:19 PM
I've always thought it increases the amount of freezes.. that's what I recall, at least.

Best bet would be to move your setup closer to the router itself, or buy another router type of thing. I'm using a $25 thing from Walmart in my dorm that works pretty well. You can send out your own network/SSID, extend one, etc. It can plug into an ethernet jack or it can grab the wifi signal I believe.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TP-Link-TL-WR700N-Wireless-150N-Mini-Router/20690345

Works pretty slick. Doesn't seem to hurt the signal since we have our own network in the dorm, but theoretically it could cut the speed in half if you're just extending the signal from the floor above. Might be worth a shot.

I'd really be worried about the freezing mostly.
---
&.Virus (Lv 56): 2741-3537-8788
YouToob: http://www.youtube.com/user/VirusANDclan
#5OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 6:22:04 PM
Hmmm. I could move the Wii upstairs, which would be approx. 50 ft from the router, but there aren't really any walls in the way. But I'm not sure if that would be better than my current situation where the router is literally above my setup one floor. Maybe tomorrow I will do some experimentation.

I've also been looking through Wii settings in hopes of finding anything to help out my connection. I've turned off WiiConnect24 and shut off the DNS server, and at times this helps but it isn't very consistent. If anyone knows about improving Wii settings, I'm all ears.
---
#6madgheiPosted 9/2/2014 6:37:06 PM
Do you know of DMZ?
#7OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 6:38:59 PM
madghei posted...
Do you know of DMZ?

No...
---
#8hyoid_manPosted 9/2/2014 7:10:09 PM
I use a wired connection, the only thing I can say for sure is that it gives me a consistent 45 ping, whereas the wireless is sometimes 95. The download speed is sometimes better by 0.5 mb, but I was just running some tests tonight and the wireless connection was showing about 0.3 faster speeds. And you will notice a lot more freezes in the lobbies with the wire, especially when searching for a game or when the host quits. So it might be worth it for you, it might not be. I would try moving the wii closer to the router and setting up the DMZ first (if you can), and see if that helps.
---
Currently playing: Goldeneye 007 (Wii), Majora's Mask (VC), Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (VC), Final Fantasy III (VC)
hyoidman, 56: 4551-1166-5553
#9madgheiPosted 9/2/2014 9:12:19 PM
OMCNoah posted...
madghei posted...
Do you know of DMZ?

No...

1. Set a static IP for your Wii
2. Enter your router's configuration page by typing your default gateway (usually 192.168.1.1) as a URL into a web browser, and log in with the default credentials for your brand of router (unless you've changed them)
3. Look for an option in router config to enable DMZ, and apply it to the IP address you gave your Wii in step one.

Placing your Wii in your router's DMZ opens all ports and clears the Wii from your router's firewall, which generally means you can get more consistent and overall better quality connection. It's entirely free so I'd recommend it before buying a LAN adapter.
#10OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2014 9:39:13 PM
madghei posted...
OMCNoah posted...
madghei posted...
Do you know of DMZ?

No...

1. Set a static IP for your Wii
2. Enter your router's configuration page by typing your default gateway (usually 192.168.1.1) as a URL into a web browser, and log in with the default credentials for your brand of router (unless you've changed them)
3. Look for an option in router config to enable DMZ, and apply it to the IP address you gave your Wii in step one.

Placing your Wii in your router's DMZ opens all ports and clears the Wii from your router's firewall, which generally means you can get more consistent and overall better quality connection. It's entirely free so I'd recommend it before buying a LAN adapter.

Ok I'll give that a whirl...

What exactly do you mean by a static IP? I'm assuming it doesn't matter what I set it as...

And by default gateway do you mean my IP address?

lol sorry, I'm no computer whiz
---