Wired Connection?

#11Viruss57Posted 9/3/2014 11:28:46 AM
Port forwarding seems to help to some extent, but it seems like everyone has mixed results.
---
&.Virus (Lv 56): 2741-3537-8788
YouToob: http://www.youtube.com/user/VirusANDclan
#12OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2014 11:31:08 AM
Viruss57 posted...
Port forwarding seems to help to some extent, but it seems like everyone has mixed results.

How does one do that?
---
[OMC]Noah, leader of clan OMC.
GoldenEye Wii: Level 56 007:Legends Sp2 Lv50 Retired PSN:The_OMC_Noah
#1300McQueenPosted 9/3/2014 1:25:36 PM
The only increase in freezing occurs when searching for a lobby, and that disappears if you party and let the other person do the searching.

When WiFi is strong and consistent, it's more capable than LAN, with better D/L and ping numbers. D/L tops out around 4.5 Mbps and ping comes in as low about 33 ms. U/L is pretty consistent across all connection types (0.5 Mbps). LAN D/L tops out about about 3.5 Mbps, and ping is pretty consistent at 45 ms.

The only real advantage to using a LAN adapter is if your WiFi is unreliable, like if your ping vacillates like mine sometimes does, jumping between 45 and 90 ms. D/L and U/L don't really seem to matter that much (though if your U/L bandwidth -- not speed -- is throttled, it can have weird effects). Ping is king. I was a hell of a lot better at this game when I had a lot less experience and a much better ping. (I moved from cable to DSL and the difference is disgusting.)

LAN beats bad WiFi, but good WiFi owns. LAN can make an unplayable connection bearable, but if you ever had a really good connection, you'll still miss it.

But if you use a LAN adapter and play solo, you're likely to give up and switch back to WiFi the fourth or fifth time you have to do a hard reset while freezing on the search screen.
---
iS*McQueen & Magnet Man, GoldenEye (Wii)
#1400McQueenPosted 9/3/2014 1:27:50 PM
OMCNoah posted...
How does one do that?

You can do that in your modem or router settings. There are specific ports mentioned all over the internet for the Wii, but it's a lot easier to just give your Wii a static IP address and place it in the DMZ. The effect is the same except instead of opening some ports it opens all ports.
---
iS*McQueen & Magnet Man, GoldenEye (Wii)
#15hyoid_manPosted 9/3/2014 1:29:29 PM
There's an old thread around here on how to do port forwarding, I believe Cyber posted it back in the day. I've tried it, but it didn't do anything for me. Might still be worth a try though.
---
Currently playing: Goldeneye 007 (Wii), Majora's Mask (VC), Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (VC), Final Fantasy III (VC)
hyoidman, 56: 4551-1166-5553
#16Gray-Fox007Posted 9/3/2014 1:37:37 PM
I've also done the port forwarding/DMZ thing, and I really didn't notice anything, if I change my router, that's when I see a difference
#17Yoshi_Z16Posted 9/4/2014 11:09:35 AM
I experience significantly better lobbies with a wired connection.
---
Goldeneye IGN: 56-Yosh!, FC 1346 2654 5671.
#18Johnny_Utah_Posted 9/4/2014 11:22:00 AM
00McQueen posted...
The only increase in freezing occurs when searching for a lobby, and that disappears if you party and let the other person do the searching.

When WiFi is strong and consistent, it's more capable than LAN, with better D/L and ping numbers. D/L tops out around 4.5 Mbps and ping comes in as low about 33 ms. U/L is pretty consistent across all connection types (0.5 Mbps). LAN D/L tops out about about 3.5 Mbps, and ping is pretty consistent at 45 ms.

The only real advantage to using a LAN adapter is if your WiFi is unreliable, like if your ping vacillates like mine sometimes does, jumping between 45 and 90 ms. D/L and U/L don't really seem to matter that much (though if your U/L bandwidth -- not speed -- is throttled, it can have weird effects). Ping is king. I was a hell of a lot better at this game when I had a lot less experience and a much better ping. (I moved from cable to DSL and the difference is disgusting.)

LAN beats bad WiFi, but good WiFi owns. LAN can make an unplayable connection bearable, but if you ever had a really good connection, you'll still miss it.

But if you use a LAN adapter and play solo, you're likely to give up and switch back to WiFi the fourth or fifth time you have to do a hard reset while freezing on the search screen.

---
S2*Nerf gun // iHOSTtheMOST // "Accuracy doesnt mean squat, I have low accuracy but I pwn" -- Joker694
#19NikraPosted 9/5/2014 8:39:04 PM
I bought a wired adapter for my Wii U because My router wouldn't let me play MK8 online more than a few minutes at the time. That solved the problem by the way. Then, just to try it out, I connected it to my Wii and played GE online. There's no different between Wireless and wired GE playing. Not on my Wii anyway.
#20OMCNoah(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2014 6:58:13 PM
So I did the static ip/DMz thing and that seemed to work rather well. I only played 4-5 matches today but only one had a small amount of lag. Hopefully I will be more inclined to play now that my connection seems to be halfway usable....

Thank you to whoever contributed to the thread with their tips and stuff, and I don't plan on getting a LAN cable after seeing your responses.
---
[OMC]Noah, leader of clan OMC.
GoldenEye Wii: Level 56 007:Legends Sp2 Lv50 Retired PSN:The_OMC_Noah