(And now...) Miscellaneous Mirror Mode Stuff

#1Rocky2418Posted 2/13/2014 11:37:26 PM
Oh, how my frustration grows as I begin my mirror mode quest...

After finishing worlds 1 and 2, I decided to jump ahead and try to start tackling one that I was anticipating being a nightmare - namely, 4-B. I remember doing it just in normal mode, and finding it annoying how hard it was to avoid so many moles popping out; as well as the big one at the end. Of course, since hearts would pop out quite frequently, it wasn't a big deal. But I remembering thinking, 'Dang, this is gonna be crazy under 1-hit KO conditions.'

And I was right. So far I've only done 10 or so tries, and haven't even made it to the final guy; and only made it to the third set of popping-up moles (the dimly lit section) once - dying pretty soon, as they pop up very fast in that round. I had to stop after just 10 tries because, in all honesty, my left thumb (working the joystick) is hurting, after so many intense daredevil-challenge levels. But whenever I get back to this... Well, I'm dreading this one. Perhaps even more than 8-B, if only because you have to survive for so long, and jump on enemies so many times, without getting hit once; at least with the final boss, each attempt will be pretty quick, and you can memorize the patterns without too much trouble; not to mention only having to land hits, what, like 7 times? The mole train is so random and lengthy, and necessitates probably 25-30 hits or so. Ugh...

I'll say it again - I miss the days where being a completionist didn't mean having to undergo such frustration over and over and over; where the hardest challenges merely required excellent playing, as opposed to ones like these, which basically require perfection.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#2Sparx555Posted 2/14/2014 9:30:09 AM
...4-K is worse than 4-B. 6-B and 7-B are also worse. That's what I thought myself, anyway. Good luck. :| None of them were quite as bad as some of the time trials in my opinion, but they're still very difficult...
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
"WHAT KIND OF MADDNESS IS THIS- oh wait...its just Sparx. -_-" - benjamin3740
#3ELQUEMANDA4Posted 2/14/2014 10:18:27 AM
Well, you're taking Mirror Mode for a challenge, can't complain about difficulty then I guess.
Anyway, you know of the trick that lets you skip the dodge-pickaxes parts, right?I guess you do.

If you think 4-B is hard, just wait until stuff like 5-K or 6-B.Oh my.
---
- So the cake represents Kirby's free-will and courage?
- No, it represents the snack that was stolen from him.
#4Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2014 2:30:09 PM
ELQUEMANDA4 posted...
Well, you're taking Mirror Mode for a challenge, can't complain about difficulty then I guess.

Actually, that's not case with me. I'm merely a completionist by nature. Hence, I feel internally obligated to clear these challenges. I actually don't prefer ridiculously hard challenges in my video games. :-) (Though I can and will do them out of obligation from time to time, some of which I mentioned in my Time Attack thread.) I'm in it for the fun, good gameplay, and engrossing story (where applicable). But no, obviously no one's forcing me to do this. I'm more just voicing my frustration, I guess.

Anyway, you know of the trick that lets you skip the dodge-pickaxes parts, right?I guess you do.

Yup. Read about it here. But I appreciate the help. Unfortunately, you still have to dodge a good number of them up until the track goes downhill. Not hard, of course, but the tediousness and time involved makes each death that much more frustrating for me.

If you think 4-B is hard, just wait until stuff like 5-K or 6-B.Oh my.

Sparx555 posted...
...4-K is worse than 4-B. 6-B and 7-B are also worse. That's what I thought myself, anyway.

I will most definitely agree with you about 5-K and 7-B. Those were two others that I dreaded the thought of in mirror mode when I was doing them normal. I hate the chicken due to his random charging at you, when you're having to decide when to go under him to cross to the other side. (I assume it's random, at least.) You're also probably right about 4-K. I didn't think of it as too bad normally, but then, having Diddy's jetpack allows for far more maneuverability. So yeah, that's gonna blow.

I think 4-B is just worse for me personally according to my own strengths and weaknesses. One of my weaknesses is having to worry about and fight lots of targets simultaneously (like the moles). And then of course there's the random factor, as opposed to learning all the parts of a pattern, and executing the sequence right. So with 6-B, though I'm aware it will be very difficult - and time-consuming in each and every attempt - I think I'll be able to at least handle it better, since it's just one target, and I can learn what to look for in his attacks and how to dodge them. 4-B just sort of has everything that I have a harder time with. Still, I don't relish the thought of those future levels...

None of them were quite as bad as some of the time trials in my opinion, but they're still very difficult...

Yeah, I guess it's all relative. One of the reasons most of those time trials don't frustrate me (as much...) is that the levels generally have set patterns of enemy placements and movements. If I can learn it, memorize it, and anticipate it, I know I'll eventually beat it, and that makes the journey a little more tolerable to me. Whereas just in 10 tries at 4-B mirror mode, I could tell pretty quickly that this and other levels like it were going to really wear me down. Lengthy battles, randomness, multiple targets, and 1-hit KO - all together - extremely unpleasant to me.

Anyway, none of that matters as much as the issue of my thumb hurting from this stuff. I'm not sure I'll really stick it out and do all this mirror mode and time attack stuff. This isn't my favorite game, nor is it in my favorite series such as Zelda and Mario. I'm not going to keep injuring my thumb or drive myself crazy just for this game. A great game, which I enjoy a lot - just not enough for that...
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#5Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2014 9:23:30 PM
Well, finally got back to trying this - though my thumb still isn't feeling 100%. The main problem on that front is the control setup for the game. Using a joystick for a 2-D platformer - especially on the nunchuk, which makes me basically use the side of my thumb to keep a direction pinned to a side to move - puts real strain on my thumb. Using just the Wiimote is easier on it, since the thumb is sideways, meaning I press in or pull back head on with the thumb to move left or right - more support behind it, so less strain. Unfortunately, the Wiimote-alone control scheme is less reliable (to me) when it comes to shaking to roll, so it's far less effective when doing time attack and whatnot. I actually decided to try a free one month GameFly trial so that I could try out the 3DS version of the game, so that I could use the D-pad and also not have to shake to roll. Unfortunately, I found it to be less helpful. Considering the intensity of these time attack and mirror mode challenges, I end up unconsciously moving/shaking the system - and with it the screen - as I play (not shaking trying to roll, just slight movement due to intense playing). Well, when the screen shifts, it can lead to failures, as consistent precision is required for these challenges. In addition, my hand started cramping up fairly quickly trying to do these challenges on the 3DS - it's certainly not as comfortable for the hands as either Wii control scheme.

Anyway, point is, I decided to stick with the Wii version - and try to mostly use the Wiimote-only controls when possible, for the sake of the thumb. It's pretty much fine for mirror mode; time attack will warrant more nunchuk use, due to the constant rolling that's needed. But I won't be getting back to that until after finishing mirror mode, if/when I do so.

Ahem, that said... I tried the Mole Train again, and succeeded after about 15 more tries (got lucky with my final hit on the guy). So I decided to try 6-B and 7-B next - trying to get the harder ones out of the way. 7-B took about 8 or 9 tries, and 6-B about 10 tries. So I decided to get greedy and take down 8-B - and again cleared it in about 9 or 10 tries. I then finished off the rest of the bosses. That was a great relief to me, getting those out of the way. Next time, I'm gonna go after 5-K and 4-K.

So it turns out my prediction was accurate. The Mole Train was the boss that gave me the most mirror mode trouble - by a wide margin. It just contained several elements that played into my weakness. Don't get me wrong, I found those other bosses to be extremely hard. But with (generally) just one target in the other battles, I was able to really focus on the enemy and its patterns, and be very careful.
---
#6Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2014 5:50:28 PM
By the way, I just wanted to make sure of something. I read that on the 3DS version, getting all the KONG letters again in mirror mode turns that icon from red to blue - both for each level and for the overall slot upon completing every one. I know there's no reward for doing so; just another completionist kind of thing. So I just wanted to make sure: The Wii version gives no recognition whatsoever of re-getting the letters in mirror mode, correct? As a completionist, I just wanted to verify this, so that I won't feel like I've left something out of my file by ignoring the letters in this mode. Is that the case with the Wii version?
---
#7ELQUEMANDA4Posted 3/10/2014 9:13:16 AM
No it doesn't; don't worry about it.
---
-You're going to slice Black Mage out of there with surgeon-like precision. Right?
-Right.Assuming surgeons are those guys who hack at trees with chainsaws.
#8Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 9:57:44 AM
Cool, thanks for verifying that.

Last night, I went for and eventually cleared 5-K and 4-K; and also 6-K, it being the only other one I was fearing. (Man, 5-K was nasty; and 4-K more so. Still, 4-B ended up taking me many more tries than either of them.) After that, clearing the other K levels was not overwhelming at all. Now that all the B and K levels are done, I just need to do the normal levels in worlds 3 through 9, which will feel far less daunting - for the checkpoints alone. I'm gonna work backwards from world 8, and then save 9-1 for last. Hopefully I can knock all that out before too long.
---
#9ELQUEMANDA4Posted 3/11/2014 11:21:15 AM
Rocky2418 posted...
Cool, thanks for verifying that.

Last night, I went for and eventually cleared 5-K and 4-K ; and also 6-K, it being the only other one I was fearing. (Man, 5-K was nasty; and 4-K more so. Still, 4-B ended up taking me many more tries than either of them.) After that, clearing the other K levels was not overwhelming at all. Now that all the B and K levels are done, I just need to do the normal levels in worlds 3 through 9, which will feel far less daunting - for the checkpoints alone. I'm gonna work backwards from world 8, and then save 9-1 for last. Hopefully I can knock all that out before too long.

wat

It took me around 210 lives and a few days to get it over lol; nice job!

It should all be downhill from there.
---
-You're going to slice Black Mage out of there with surgeon-like precision. Right?
-Right.Assuming surgeons are those guys who hack at trees with chainsaws.
#10Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2014 12:46:31 PM
Thanks. Yeah, as I said, we all have different types of things that give us more trouble. And I absolutely know how difficult levels like those two truly are on mirror mode. But whereas 4-B had a somewhat random element to it (where all the moles would pop out - and you have to jump on 30 of them, not including the main guy, no less), which frustrates me more, at least 4-K and 5-K had set patterns, which I can tackle a little easier. So for 4-K, for example, I went very slowly and methodically, learning the timing of the spikes with relation to each other, etc., one section at a time. I only hurried during the platforms where I pretty much had to. Anyway, I played them extremely conservatively, and probably also got a little lucky here and there, which doesn't hurt. :-) But whenever there's more pattern, and less randomness, I can focus on and clear such levels in fewer tries.

And actually, I took out all of the normal levels of the remaining worlds last night and today. So, thankfully, I'm finished with this cursed daredevil mode.

Then there's the old Time Attack. I'll probably try getting back to that in the near future, depending on my thumb's resiliency. :-) For its sake, I'll try to just use the Wiimote as much as possible, unless certain levels give me more trouble. Right now I only have 5 of the 71 shiny golds (though two of the five are 2-1 and 5-4, at least), and since those will take me FAR longer to accomplish than mirror mode, it'll be a lengthy work in progress. I plan to go right for 8-B first - as it will truly suck, having to the rocket barrel part together with the boss in the run...
---