Finally got all 71 shiny gold medals!

#1Rocky2418Posted 3/23/2014 10:03:52 PM(edited)
I didn't know if I'd be able to have the patience and endurance (and thumb strength) to do them all, but I have now finished them. (And I recorded videos for all 71.) First Mirror Mode, now this; finally done with everything in this game. Sweet!

I also tried redoing Poppin' Planks - I really wanted to do a run where I made both tough jumps off the crabs. After a LONG time and many, many tries, I succeeded - with a time of 52.84.

Anyway, just wanted to share the news; very glad to be done with this.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#2Sparx555Posted 3/24/2014 9:54:51 AM
I've been lurking in the other topic without posting for a while, actually... I didn't have too much to say other than agree with you most of the time. :p But... amazing job. Not just getting all Shiny Golds (not that that isn't a great achievement itself) but several seconds under the shiny gold time for Poppin' Planks... congratulations. :)
---
Ice Cream Topics Gotten to 500: 4
"WHAT KIND OF MADDNESS IS THIS- oh wait...its just Sparx. -_-" - benjamin3740
#3Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2014 11:04:03 AM
Thanks very much. Yeah, I was basically just jotting down my experiences with the levels in the other thread; nothing warranting replies or anything. Good to know someone was reading it. :-) Anyway, that's that.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson
#4Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2014 11:11:11 PM(edited)
BTW - I just finished uploading all of my runs to YouTube. The playlist can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rttCmc9ji7U&list=PLmHtaAyAgicj1wWzQu-ICNzZGQ8ZEP84w

(I grouped the bosses together and then the special levels together at the end, after the regular ones.) The quality's not the greatest, but it's not bad either. And it's nothing spectacular like packattack's runs. But for any who want to kill some time at some point, feel free to check any of them out. :-) If nothing else, you can check out 2-1, 5-4, and 9-1. Those are the three I spent time trying to fine-tune - especially 2-1, as I've mentioned. That's my pride and joy.

Okay, later.
---
#5nintypercentPosted 3/30/2014 9:41:26 PM(edited)
TC, what controller scheme do you use?

When I went from WiiMote/Nunchuck -> Horizontal WiiMote, I was actually able to beat all the k-levels except 5k. So 4 years later, I'm trying again, but with the classic controller.
#6Rocky2418(Topic Creator)Posted 3/31/2014 5:16:24 PM
Well, in general, I prefer the just-Wiimote control - simply because it doesn't hurt my thumb like the nunchuk (for a 2-D game) does. So for the normal game and mirror mode, I used that.

But for Time Attack, I really just had to use the nunchuk control scheme. I needed to be rolling much of the time, without delay whenever I needed to. And the nunchuk just made it much more reliable to do so.

If I ever get a Wii U (that is, if they ever release the white deluxe set in the U.S.), I thankfully won't need to choose between discomfort and inconsistency. I'll go Pro controller all the way, with the D-pad control scheme. Rolling with the trigger buttons might not be quite as fluid as shaking the nunchuk, but it'll be good enough. I'll just be grateful for a non-motion option.
---