Odd damage with the Burning palm.

#1DreaPosted 7/13/2012 5:34:19 AM
So I recently got a burning palm with 5 stars in melee, and +4 melee combo. Even though it's far from one of my best weapons, I've been using it online because I've always liked the burning palm.

Anyway, I've noticed something very odd with it's damage against the practice dummy. The damage it's combo deals is inconsistant.
The first strike usually deals 91 damage, but sometimes drops down to 80 or gos as high as 95, the second strike usually does about 52 but I've also seen it deal 45 or even 56 damage, and the final strike usually deals 91 damage, but sometimes jumps up to 102.
If you do the math, that means my combos can do anywhere from 216-253, usually doing 231 for whatever reason.

There seems to be some sort of reason or pattern for doing more or less damage, but I've haven't been able to figure out what it is.

Can anyone help me solve this mystery?
---
3DS FC:4253-3606-9485
#2peachlocust7Posted 7/13/2012 6:23:45 AM
thats weird, i tested it out with my burning palm and it also was a slight difference every time
#3Symphonia46Posted 7/13/2012 6:24:03 AM
Well, there is a damage difference with melee dash attack depending how close you use it(closer=more damage, farther=less damage), but with melee combo homing in on enemies, it should almost put you the same distance in melee. Try meleeing a bit farther away, then try meleeing up at the dummy's face. I didn't know there was a damage ratio on combos, but it might be different on palms. The Burning Palm does have built in burning, does it not? That may be the case.
---
Co-Leader with SonicRecords and Ultimastrike21 for Midnight Knights of KI:U.
Midnight Knights' Chatzy Room: http://us4.chatzy.com/91107163112721
#4Kvothe69Posted 7/13/2012 6:36:46 AM
Drea posted...
burning palm with 5 stars in melee, and +4 melee combo. usually doing 231

OCKO burning palm? oh hell yes!

*goes to fusion screen*
---
3ds friend code: 1719-3788-1911 - MnKtroll
Member of the Midnight Knights
#5Drea(Topic Creator)Posted 7/13/2012 6:42:30 AM
It's not the burning effect kicking in. It rarely activates durring melee combos, and the I'm looking at the damage numbers from the actual hits, not the damage counter.

I notice that if I do the hits slower than they need to be, by waiting a half second before delivering the final blow, then it usually does 102 damage instead of 91, so this could be a spacing thing. But that would imply that the combo hits are stronger the farther you are from the target, which makes no sense and is the opposite how you said the dash attack works. The only thing that I can think of is that players take slightly less damage if they're in the air. Maybe the attacks are popping the enemy up just a little and by waiting a half second more until their feet are on the ground again you deal more damage.

Then again, that wouldn't explain why the first hit''s damage varies. hmm...
---
3DS FC:4253-3606-9485
#6fenrir_viiPosted 7/13/2012 5:38:10 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this too... it turns my OCKO palm into an ALMOST OCKO palm... *sigh*

I BELIEVE this is due to distance, but this palm is the only weapon I've seen do it on a melee combo.

If I remember correctly, the palm is pretty normal against the training enemy in the Solo menu, but against the Vs. training player, it's a LOT more random.
---
Official Wolfy / Decoy of the Sky Kings!
3ds FC: 1418-6782-4533
#7Primum_MobilePosted 7/13/2012 8:12:15 PM
I think the air time is a more probable cause, since you do receive less damage when you are airborne.
---
I need a sharp instrument... or blunt, blunt is good, too.
- Chisame Hasegawa, Negima (Del Rey TL)
#8Doug314Posted 7/13/2012 11:47:39 PM
Slightly less? You only take 1/3 damage while in the air or while knocked down. With some melee combos, if you take too long, the enemy can go into the air before you finish them, and then the hit while they're in the air doesn't do as much. This is the most likely thing.
---
Palutena, Isaac, Lip, Ridley, King K. Rool, and Anna for SSB Wii U and SSB 3DS!
For every good thing that has ever happened to you, you should thank Palutena!
#9Why_Is_PurplePosted 7/13/2012 11:58:36 PM
Doug314 posted...
Slightly less? You only take 1/3 damage while in the air or while knocked down. With some melee combos, if you take too long, the enemy can go into the air before you finish them, and then the hit while they're in the air doesn't do as much. This is the most likely thing.

No, I've noticed it with my Burning Palm, too. In Solo's training place, it does 242 damage in one combo—enough to kill. In Together mode, however, doing all strikes as fast as possible, it does somewhere around 213 damage.
---
IF YOU GO IN THE DIRECTION OF THE ARROW.
3DS Friend Code: 5069-3926-6218