3DS GPU revealed

#1oddballrulezPosted 6/21/2010 4:32:54 AM

This is the new 3DS GPU :) there's a spec sheet floating about too, suggesting it's capable of things such as soft shadows

and advanced shader effects. This could indeed be good news for anyone doubting the 3DS's power.

there's a demo of the chip in action too.

Obviously, the 3DS still needs to unveil it's RAM and CPU; but judging by the video; it's got a cheap yet effective GPU, also suggesting a lower buying price. Enjoy!

Unfortunately it's not allowing me to post links without giving off errors So here's what the article says:

"Tech company DMP has announced that it has made the GPU chip for 3DS - and given us a rundown of its capabilities.

According to the firm, the system will be using the PICA200 GPU chip.

A Japanese press release reads:

'The PICA200 scales with up to four pipelines and processes from up to four programmable vertex units. The 3D core, using their proprietary graphics technology named MAESTRO-2G, the second generation of the Maestro design, implements custom graphics algorithms as hardware for enabling a set of shading features that include per-vertex sub-surface scattering, bidirectional reflectance distribution function, cook-torrance, polygon subdivision, and soft shadowing.

'Their image post-processing module, the PICA-FBM frame buffer management, can polish the image with anti-aliasing and a set of other 2D functions and can actually be licensed independently as a core for 2D-only devices. In either case, the PICA-FBM can be extended with a PICA-VG vector graphics module.'

Whatever's under the hood, it's darn impressive. Check out ourNintendo 3DS tech reviewfor more."

#2oddballrulez(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2010 4:35:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-xxUyJvQQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=BmwB8p0PmPQ

There we are :) I'm unsure why but I can't link to CVG.co.uk; go there and you'll find the info for the 3DS :') though I think there may be better info on neogaf now.

#3YAMI_ANUBIS_XPosted 6/21/2010 3:40:14 PM
Thank you oddball, that is quite helpful.
---
PSN: YAMI_ANUBIS_X
#4LilCrimsonNemoPosted 6/21/2010 4:34:14 PM
Very interesting
---
[_O ] Cap'N Servbot demands the 3DS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WdRhJM1rYs
#5plagamesforevaPosted 6/21/2010 6:42:42 PM
So does that equate to roughly the power of the Wii as everyone in the game industry implied?

The 3DS needs to/should be at least as powerful as the PSP for pete's sake. Lol........ It would like kind of bad if SONY's first handheld is more powerful than the DS and the 3DS in the same generation. Lol........

Either way, what was shown about the 3DS is very impressive non-the-less.

---
CAPCOM needs to make a third Capcom Classics Collection (Include Super Street Fighter II), Mega Man: Powered Up 2 & Mega Man: Powered Up 3 for the PSP!
#6zero_x300Posted 6/21/2010 6:46:01 PM

So does that equate to roughly the power of the Wii as everyone in the game industry implied?

The 3DS needs to/should be at least as powerful as the PSP for pete's sake. Lol........ It would like kind of bad if SONY's first handheld is more powerful than the DS and the 3DS in the same generation. Lol........

I think there was a previous handheld Playstation, with black and white colors. Didn't do well at all IIRC.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXW7E8Mq16o
#7oddballrulez(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2010 4:54:29 AM

plagamesforeva posted...

Oh it's far more powerful than the PSP. and it would most likely be tinkering around the power of the original Xbox, so about as powerful as a wii; though with a graphics card capable of shaders, soft shadows and Anti-aliasing etc. rather than the pile of turd in the Wii :P

#8Daz_man123Posted 6/22/2010 9:01:55 AM
Well it still won't look as good as the bench...... Probably slightly better than the psp
#9gransPosted 6/22/2010 9:49:40 AM

Well it still won't look as good as the bench...... Probably slightly better than the psp

This game utterly devours and spits up anything seen on PSP, and the screens and video are confirmed being rendered in real time using the ingame graphics. In fact, it tears up anything seen on PS2/GC/Xbox/Wii/PSP combined. It's not next gen quality, but it's superior to any last gen console and handhelds. All you need is eyes to see this.

I can't speak for the technical power, but whatever they did certainly kills the PSP in terms of raw visuals. And any other last gen console. I don't think it matters how better your clock speed or whatever specs you're comparing if the games look good. Look at the SNES vs Jaguar. Most of the time, the games on the SNES killed the Jaguar in terms of visuals, despite the Jaguar being "tons more powerful". It's all up to the eyes to judge what is more graphically capable, and in this case, 3DS wins by a long shot.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#10Daz_man123Posted 6/22/2010 4:31:51 PM

This game utterly devours and spits up anything seen on PSP, and the screens and video are confirmed being rendered in real time using the ingame graphics. In fact, it tears up anything seen on PS2/GC/Xbox/Wii/PSP combined. It's not next gen quality, but it's superior to any last gen console and handhelds. All you need is eyes to see this.

I can't speak for the technical power, but whatever they did certainly kills the PSP in terms of raw visuals. And any other last gen console. I don't think it matters how better your clock speed or whatever specs you're comparing if the games look good. Look at the SNES vs Jaguar. Most of the time, the games on the SNES killed the Jaguar in terms of visuals, despite the Jaguar being "tons more powerful". It's all up to the eyes to judge what is more graphically capable, and in this case, 3DS wins by a long shot.

That was rendered on a computer...... How do you know if the pc had a Intel Core i7 Extreme Processor with 8gb of ram?