My theory on why RE6 will not be a reboot

#1Oldskool_RulezPosted 9/16/2010 7:23:45 AM
Capcom stated they want RE6 out on the market as soon as possible. If that is true, we'll probably get the game in 2011, because any later would not be "soon". The way things are looking, RE6 will be announced within the next few days. Revelations doesn't even have a release date yet, and Damnation is scheduled for 2012.

So, would Capcom really reboot the series the same time they are continuing it? Remember, when Capcom stated RE6 would be a reboot, that was Jun Takeuchi who said that. Now he's gone and has nothing to do with the sequel, so hopefully Shinji Mikami will return and keep the series going a bit longer.

With the Devil May Cry reboot announced, I really don't think Capcom would reboot two of their series in the same year, but who knows.
---
My new Resident Evil prediction: HUNK is Alex Wesker, who's also a clone of Chris Redfield.
#2edward18Posted 9/16/2010 8:53:21 AM
Shinji better not come back unless he realizes what RE's actually supposed to be like.

And reboot doesn't mean remake. You can continue the story while doing a reboot.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board
#3Oldskool_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2010 5:42:17 PM
"And reboot doesn't mean remake. You can continue the story while doing a reboot."

Wait, are you sure it's not the other way around? REmake included new story details left out in the original, so in a way it continued the story. When I hear "reboot", I think of 007, Halloween, and mainly just movies in general. Come to think of it, has there even been a video game reboot yet? The only game I can think of is Bionic Commando, and I don't know if that game even is a reboot or continuation.
---
My new Resident Evil prediction: HUNK is Alex Wesker, who's also a clone of Chris Redfield.
#4Oldskool_Rulez(Topic Creator)Posted 9/16/2010 5:45:49 PM
Well, you're right. Just because it's a reboot doesn't mean it won't continue the story. I just remembered Mortal Kombat. Even though it spans the first 3 games, it takes place AFTER Armageddon.
---
#5Alky88Posted 9/16/2010 7:10:15 PM
When they mentioned the reboot they were talking about the gameplay. They said that RE5 is the last of its kind.
Anyway I doubt it'll happen soon, no RE news at TGS so I really don't know where and when they're planning to announce RE6 as it was supposed to happen soon....
---
"Official Jill Valentine of the MvC3 boards!"
#6Trent_RestonPosted 9/16/2010 7:46:41 PM
Actually we don't know what they mean by reboot but I assume it's not a remake and just a new beginning.

Frankly, I think they mean they may be going back to a combination of two different camera/control style, sorta like what you had in Lost in Nightmares during the first scenario.

A lot of the original fans are complaining that RE has lost it's way in terms of survival horror and frankly I concur with them, being a original fan.

RE4 was originally going to be the last of the series until Capcom told Shinji he could end the series with that game or give it a reboot. So he went the reboot treatment with the new control style and the sorta abysmal absence of anything relating to the old series besides a few characters, Leon and Ada, etc.

Frankly, Capcom has been getting it wrong since Code Veronica. And I mean, they said Code Veronica sales were not that good compared to RE2/RE3. Well that was because they released it on Dreamcast and then later ported it over to PS2 with a deluxe version but it still did not do too well. And then over the next year or so, we got spin off, side stories, until RE4.

RE4 I guess was needed to give a fresh start. Hell, Shinji invented the over the shoulder style camera. As a old fan, I love the control style and the atmosphere that RE4 was especially the castle but.... it just seemed to dumb down. Puzzles were way too simple, everything was "go from point A to point B" where the older games allowed you to explore around. You did not have the option to do that in RE4.

RE5 was just a carbon copy of RE4 with the same enemies, same concept, same controls, but with a much better story compared to RE4. It just lacked anything that was horror. And I think a lot of fans were upset with that.

Sadly, the fan base is going to be split down the middle. You have the original fans who love pre-rendered backgrounds, fixed cameras, and able to explore. And you have the RE4/RE5/RE on rail shooter fans who love the more direct approach, easier controls, and ability to see more of their surroundings.

Frankly, RE6, as we last heard, was supposed to go back to its roots, which means, pre rendered background. But Capcom is always changing it's directions with its games and in recent history, RE4 and RE5 proved this with their own history.

Frankly, you cannot do both. LIN was fun, going to the fixed camera style but the problem was, on VETERAN or PROFESSIONAL, when you faced those anchor things, it was impossible to hit them because you had to be direct (shoot them in the eye) to cause them to feel direct pain. And through fixed camera angles, it's hard to see where you're actually aiming.

... I don't know where they may be going with RE6 in terms of controls and camera. The more recent fans that started playing RE5 wanted "run and shoot" controls but I hope it never comes to that. If anything, Dead Space proved that survival horror still works and Capcom got humiliated when DS was highly praised compared to RE5.

If anything, I'd like some answers finally to some long lost questions. Barry and Rebecca status. What is the Organization and their agenda, which has been long since overdue since RE2 days, Leon and Ada's "relationship", Sherry Birkin's status, and the long awaited, Alex Wesker situation.

Most likely, Alex Wesker will be in RE6 since they introduced the whole background story in the DLC for RE5.

Errr, long rant, LOL.
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs where stating your opinion is a declaration of war.
#7edward18Posted 9/16/2010 11:52:02 PM
CV's the best of the series.
---
Before you die you see the Tails Doll---Backdrop Observer of the Metroid: Other M board