Why is this game praised?

#1CyncroPosted 2/19/2013 11:10:57 AM
I played this game when it first came out, and I was extremely disappointed. The more there is talk about an HD release for consoles, the more I wonder why people are actually praising this game, because I haven't really seen anything negative about it.

I'm not here to troll or tell you all that "your game is bad," I'm simply looking to find out why the game is praised so I can have a better understanding and maybe even give it a second chance.

When I played it, I thought switching between all of the different characters and swapping back and forth between locations and time periods was extremely disjointed and awful. I only wanted to play as Jill on the ship. I understand in classic RE fashion there were multiple characters, but it just felt like a mess to me. Not to mention, having someone call out "Last time on Resident Evil Revelations" made me feel awkward. Why would someone recap the events of last mission as if it were a television show, even though I just played the mission two seconds ago?

Are these problems everyone has, or did everyone enjoy this? Again, I'm not trolling, just looking for opinions and responses.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3780 - 9018 - 9049
PSN and Live GT: Cyncro
#2Mariofan15Posted 2/19/2013 2:32:16 PM
Because it brought back the horror element that was missing from RE 4 and 5 combined with tiny corridor's you have to combat enemies in. The only thing I agree with you on is switching so much between characters. Everything else isnt a problem and just something you have issues with.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:0691-4768-6135
#3adathespyPosted 2/19/2013 2:38:12 PM
Cyncro posted...
I played this game when it first came out, and I was extremely disappointed. The more there is talk about an HD release for consoles, the more I wonder why people are actually praising this game, because I haven't really seen anything negative about it.

I'm not here to troll or tell you all that "your game is bad," I'm simply looking to find out why the game is praised so I can have a better understanding and maybe even give it a second chance.

When I played it, I thought switching between all of the different characters and swapping back and forth between locations and time periods was extremely disjointed and awful. I only wanted to play as Jill on the ship. I understand in classic RE fashion there were multiple characters, but it just felt like a mess to me. Not to mention, having someone call out "Last time on Resident Evil Revelations" made me feel awkward. Why would someone recap the events of last mission as if it were a television show, even though I just played the mission two seconds ago?

Are these problems everyone has, or did everyone enjoy this? Again, I'm not trolling, just looking for opinions and responses.

I guess one of the many reasons that this game get so much praise is that it has the combination of both the horror aspect (classic style RE game play) and the new action style (RE4, 5 and 6) which can "somehow" satisfy both parties. By both parties I mean RE fans are now divided mainly 2 groups - Classic style supporters (RE1, 2, 3, CV, etc) and New/Action style supporters (RE 4, 5, 6, etc).

I'm ok with the switching character thing...You just have to pay really close attention to the story in order not to get confused.

By the way, have you finish the game?
#4kenneth_velezPosted 2/19/2013 5:49:58 PM
*scratches head* People get confused at the story?

Good times, good times.

Tell you why I like it, It has good graphics, nice atmosphere, isn't hampered by the controls of RE6 (played both when they came out).
#5ZGMF_600_GuaizPosted 2/21/2013 11:50:03 AM
I enjoyed the game as well, among other things for:

-The story was great and fits well within the RE series canon.
-The several nods at the original games, such as some enemies and files.
-The story-telling was also good, making a good job with the episodic gameplay and cliffhangers at the end of each episode. I do understand why the first playthrough could feel disjointed since you can't connect all the dots yet.
-Most of the new characters are welcome additions to the series, however I do admit that there were a couple of characters that did seem out of place, but I didn't mind that so much.
-From what Capcom said at the time of the development of Mercenaries 3D, the idea for making these games portable was the result of running RE5 on the 3DS.
-For a 3DS game, the graphics were great, plus the 3D was a unique feature that the consoles won't get.

Anyway, if you want to read more opinions of why people liked this game so much, check at metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/resident-evil-revelations
#6duducukierPosted 2/21/2013 7:37:56 PM
The recap was made for you to remember the previous events if you decide to quit the game and play again tomorrow...or show to a friend your progress or what not. It was...beneficial for me, so to say.
There's also some confusion on the plot (when was the Veltro video recorded & how it was sent out if Dido is under the sea; Who were the "Veltro" in the mountain hideouts: Real Veltro people, or mercinaries/BSAA employees?; How did O'Brian get Farfellos to the Mountain Hideout before Chris & Jessica got there...if it wasn't the real Veltro anyways; How did Raymond & Rachael get inside the Zenobia without trace (Parker's scanner on the intro didn't pick up anything [on the tugboat]); etc)
Switching really didn't bother me beisdes that I lost some focus going through Chris's and Kieth's things. The graphics were AMAZING (I'm not snotty about graphics like most people. This would be considered top-of-the-line HD or whatever to me because I'm used to like...pixly Gameboy and what not graphics).

I really LOVED the game. There really wasn't anything else like it avalible, and even after beating the game countless times, i'm still getting the console port. Welp, i don't know hhow to end paragraphs, so i'll just quote something from Spongebob. "Please tell me that's your nose, lad" - Mr. Krabs.
---
=Sora/Skyy=
3DS Friend Code: 1332-7709-7856 (Skyy) Miiverse: L-Sora
#7AkoaysiGODPosted 2/22/2013 10:56:36 AM
Ada The Spy posted...
I guess one of the many reasons that this game get so much praise is that it has the combination of both the horror aspect (classic style RE game play) and the new action style (RE4, 5 and 6) which can "somehow" satisfy both parties. By both parties I mean RE fans are now divided mainly 2 groups - Classic style supporters (RE1, 2, 3, CV, etc) and New/Action style supporters (RE 4, 5, 6, etc).

I'm ok with the switching character thing...You just have to pay really close attention to the story in order not to get confused.

By the way, have you finish the game?

This basically. I didn't think it was amazing or anything and I agree that people overly praised this game. I actually feel like most games that have been coming out within the last few years have been overly hyped. Regardless, it was definitely a decent title. Not as good as the classic REs but not as boring as the newer ones.

Also as far as the previously thing goes, I agree that was really cheesy. But it's a handheld game and splitting it up into chapters was nice. It gives you a sense of conclusion and you can put it down and come back to it later.
---
It may cost your life but that was free.
#8caveman7570Posted 2/22/2013 11:50:27 AM
I agree that the storytelling is poorly done (as with most modern Capcom games,) and that the "previously on" thing when you start the game is stupid and made it seem like a crappy soap opera, but everything else about the game I feel is great. The action is well done, and the action-to-horror ratio is the best it has been in years. Also the dialog doesn't annoy me, which is just about the best I can hope for from Capcom these days.
---
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/t-dubya/conguitos.jpg
Indie games board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/293-indie-gaming
#9Cyncro(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 7:58:07 PM
Sorry for the very late reply, I got extremely busy over the last week or so.

I didn't finish the game, I was getting very annoyed with how often the game switched settings/characters/time periods. I might give it a second chance just to see how all of the Jill segments play out. I really wish they would have just stuck with ONLY Jill. Playing as Jill again on an extremely creepy boat screamed "Classic RE" atmosphere for me.
---
#10Cyncro(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 8:01:20 PM
And as AkoaysiGOD said, I see why the "Previously" thing could be good for a handheld title, but I'm sure they could have programmed it so that the game only did that after the game has been turned off. I believe Pokemon Gen 1 remakes sported a recap feature that only activated after the game had been off for a while. They could have also asked if I WANTED the recap after each time I turned it on, like MGS1 had done.
---