Why is Axel the "good one"?

#31Hikaru_IrvingPosted 9/3/2011 2:31:37 PM
@Hiro:

I'm aware of the hints of Axel's friendship with Roxas in CoM, but I'm not entirely sure it was intentional from the get go for Axel to go from deadly deadly villain in Castle Oblivion to the sapfest you see in Days.

Not to say it's bad or that I particularly mind, it just seems like an odd direction to take a character. That's like Maleficent, someone who's clearly on the bad side, turning a 180 because it turns out she had a close friend.
---
Will nothing short of making faboulous love to you convince you that your doubts are wrong?--Jenkens
#32EchoPhoenixPosted 9/3/2011 3:48:32 PM
but I'm not entirely sure it was intentional from the get go for Axel to go from deadly deadly villain in Castle Oblivion to the sapfest you see in Days.

Well, KH2 was in the works before CoM, so I'm guessing Axel's personality in KH2 was the primarily main portrayal of the character. And anyways, by the time CoM was released, Nomura was already saying stuff like "Axel's story could make you cry", so even through CoM's development he was planned to be revealed as a more sympathetic character.

But yeah, I was off-put by KH2's revelations and elaborations on CoM's characters. Riku, Namine, and DiZ all seemed really cool in R/R, and I couldn't wait to see them again in KH2. But then their re-appearances in KH2 made me go "bleh." >_>
#33GamFaks(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2011 10:56:27 AM
That's like Maleficent, someone who's clearly on the bad side, turning a 180 because it turns out she had a close friend.

Inb4KHII.
Actually, that was probably the joke, that that did actually happen.
#34Hirokey123Posted 9/5/2011 11:26:18 AM
CoM and KH2/FM+ made a lot of hints to the path of the characters. Axel's story especially was hinted here or there.

In CoM he doesn't actually seem intent on killing Sora, just messing around. It's mocked at one point how he has a soft spot for Sora. He talks about how Sora and he really have a lot more in common then he knows and that he really doesn't want to fight Sora. We see him killing members, but we never really know why he contribute to the defeat of Zexion at the time.

In KH2 he seems more human and nicer. You learn that over the year he had formed a friendship with Roxas and something had happened to make that friendship break. After Roxas beats Axel he promises to see him again in the next life. This also starts's Axel's constant quest of chasing Kairi in order to use her to bring Roxas back. (something that is later connected in Days.)

KH2 then starts to hint at a connection between Saix and Axel. Saix is always the one searching for Axel and pushing Sora to follow the organization's plans. Axel is always the one running from Saix and trying to spoil all the organization's plans by telling Sora. Axel is the one who kidnaps Kairi to get Roxas back, Saix is the one who snatches kairi to bait Sora.

Axel and Saix are both nobodies but Axel is full of emotion while Saix is as dead on the inside as one can be. Red hair and blue hair, long and spiky, short and flat. Red flames with a weapon that uses two hands, blue colored flames with a one handed weapon. A traitor and the 2nd in command. One who is never in the organization base and the other who rarely leaves the organization base. They are the antitheses of each other.

KH2 FM+ came along and told us a bit more, there are several more cutscenes added. One of which has Saix remarking about Axel. We also learn from an interview at that time that Axel goes to CO more than any other member under someone else's orders. Not to mention the other hints the above posters already mentioned.

So Axel's character was hinted at all over as was his connections to other people. In days we simply see the story all those hints had laid out in advance.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#35objection55Posted 9/5/2011 1:32:17 PM
lock_e_dge posted...
He is attractive. End of story.

Well, he played both sides and also showed moments of humanity, but really it's the bishounen thing.

was going to say: "no, he's the hot one." but you kind of already nailed it :/
---
Not changing this until Layton vs. Gyakuten comes out in the United States.
Mysterious as the dark side of...the MOOOOOOoon!"
#36KMAnsemPosted 9/5/2011 1:40:19 PM

He is attractive. End of story.

Well, he played both sides and also showed moments of humanity, but really it's the bishounen thing.

Most of the Organization is pretty damn attractive, physically. That doesn't explain why Axel is singled out among them as the nice one.

In CoM he doesn't actually seem intent on killing Sora, just messing around. It's mocked at one point how he has a soft spot for Sora.

In fact, when Larxene pokes at that soft spot, Axel actually comes right out and says it's because "Sora's partly one of us." The whole friendship-with-Roxas thing was actually foreshadowed from day one, though not many people notice it.
---
"I once got a spam email entitled 'SIX STEPS TO A GREAT CAREER.' I was really disappointed when it wasn't an ad for revolvers." - todaystomsawyer
#37gohobojoePosted 9/5/2011 1:50:09 PM
http://safebooru.org//images/578/07715b13b5cd836fc3bf545045d04992e65eabd8.png?581012
---
"My name isn't Slick. It's Zoidberg. JOHN ****ING ZOIDBERG!" - Zoidberg, Futurama