why people get offend when say any game beside kh 1&2 are spinoff

#61killobot_9000Posted 2/27/2012 7:46:08 PM
This guy almost got me

8/10

Definatly would have gone for it if he had stopped saying toriyama
---
Bet you came in here expecting a sig that fails.
Well im not one to disappoint.
#62fakefire(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2012 7:47:36 PM

Lockhart, Umbridge, Dobby, Winky, the guy that Becomes Minester of Magic for the Death Eaters... Yes, they were in the first book and consitently showed up, and were not added in new instalments...

dobby was in series for long time and rowling create world where adding new chars is actually believable. toriyama literally creates chars that comes out of other chars asses

This guy almost got me

8/10

Definatly would have gone for it if he had stopped saying toriyama

what is difference when they both create bad stories
#63Fatt_FuzzPosted 2/27/2012 7:48:39 PM
fakefire posted...
Once again, that's how series' works. It wouldn't be fun if JK Rowling revelaed every secret in the first Harry Potter book, right?
at least jkroling have char that stay in series for long time which allows secrets to cook better. toriyama create completely new char every game and the biggest secret is whats under their 500 zippers

I agree that Toriyama is a terrible writer but he has absolutely nothing to do with Kingdom Hearts.
---
If you believe in The Doctor, have accepted him as Time Lord and savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
PSN: Blackatt66
#64_Final_Phoenix_Posted 2/27/2012 7:48:45 PM

at least jkroling have char that stay in series for long time which allows secrets to cook better. toriyama create completely new char every game and the biggest secret is whats under their 500 zippers

One - It's not Nomura. Unless you're purposely getting it wrong despite being corrected, in that case, nice trolling.

Two - Who's to say a series that has multiple stories to tell from multiple timelines and multiple viewpoints isn't allowed to be told?

Hell, if we DIDN'T have these multiple characters, the series would be worse.
---
PSN: xero93
#65zero3nbaPosted 2/27/2012 7:51:58 PM
I eat food posted...
In media, a spin-off is a radio program, television program, video game, or any narrative work, derived from one or more already existing works, that focuses, in particular, in more detail on one aspect of that original work (e.g. a particular topic, character, or event). A spin-off may be called a sidequel when it exists in the same chronological frame of time as its predecessor work.[1] One of the earliest spin-offs of the modern media era, if not the first, happened in 1941 when the supporting character Throckmorton P. Guildersleeve from the old time radio comedy show Fibber McGee and Molly became the star of his own program The Great Guildersleeve (19411957).

You can close your ears (or in this case eyes) all you want but that is a spin-off. Focus on a separate character or event in greater detail (The Journal, Roxas and Organization XIII, The origin of Xehanort and TAV). Its not to say that doesn't make it important, but a spin-off is an umbrella term that side-games and gaiden's fall under.

While many understand this, people generally use the word "spin-off" in this context to describe a game that doesn't have any purpose or hold any real value in the series (i.e. Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are the only games that matter; everything else are spin-offs that don't matter), which is why so many on this board take offense to it.
---
But he's so smart and analytical, too. He could be a combination analyst and therapist. The world's first analrapist. - KMAnsem
#66Hirokey123Posted 2/27/2012 7:54:02 PM(edited)
I eat food posted...
You can close your ears (or in this case eyes) all you want but that is a spin-off. Focus on a separate character or event in greater detail (The Journal, Roxas and Organization XIII, The origin of Xehanort and TAV). Its not to say that doesn't make it important, but a spin-off is an umbrella term that side-games and gaiden's fall under.

You are technically correct but still you're missing an important aspect that I feel is something important to know.

You should well know that words do not have the same meaning universally. Jap for instance can be used as an abbreviation for Japanese or racial slur. In gamer culture generally spin-off is used to detonate a unimportant game that has no effect on the main story at all or exists in its own canon. Side games are games important in some form to the main story but are extensions of the main story's canon rather than a canon of their own. If you merely follow a dictionary definition I suppose you are technically correct, but a key part of language is understanding what your words mean in the contex of the culture (in this case gaming culture) you're speaking.

Ultimately what I'm taking about is jargon or lingo, and you're using incorrect jargon/lingo. Of course if you deny that then you'd just be doing what you claim others are doing now wouldn't you.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#67killobot_9000Posted 2/27/2012 7:59:16 PM
I eat food posted...

Thats all well and good, but DDD will directly concern Sora's and riku's stories, as well as the story at large, and due to being on a handheld console, it will be called a spinoff. Its not even a sidestory, its main lane.
---
Bet you came in here expecting a sig that fails.
Well im not one to disappoint.
#68MonkeySeraphPosted 2/27/2012 8:04:44 PM
in a slightly different example Ys origin doesn't star Adol yet I don't see anyone calling that a spin-off anyone care to explain that?
---
ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH
#69_Izanagi_Posted 2/27/2012 8:08:20 PM
Man, where do these morons come from?
#70I eat foodPosted 2/27/2012 8:19:48 PM
killobot_9000 posted...
I eat food posted...

Thats all well and good, but DDD will directly concern Sora's and riku's stories, as well as the story at large, and due to being on a handheld console, it will be called a spinoff. Its not even a sidestory, its main lane.

For sure~ I do consider 3D and BBS to be main games myself but I think the problem is the console hopping does alienate many fans because handheld games aren't as big in the West as they are in Japan (Which is the understatement of the year), so they assume because it isn't on the console it is a less important branch in the over arching plot overall so they call them spinoffs.
---
"It's not a question of can or can't. There are some things in life you just do."
The official Lightning of the Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 board.