Wallz Presents: A Kingdom Hearts Series Playthrough Topic

#1wallmasterzPosted 4/3/2012 9:52:34 AM
With the upcoming release of Kingdom Hearts 3D, I decided it was time to play or replay through all the games in this series. I used to be obsessed, but somewhere between Kingdom Hearts II (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and 358/2 Days I lost the majority of my interest. Because this series used to be so important to me, I really want to get caught back up.

Not only will this be a playthrough topic, it's also a place for me to try to dissect the story and plot of this series in hopes of following it as completely as possible. I know the word "convoluted" gets thrown around a lot, but even if I'm fighting a losing battle I want to try to make sense of things.

No future spoilers, please.

Here's my playthrough order:

1) Kingdom Hearts (own, beaten a few times before)
2) Kingdom Hearts: ReCoM (own, beat the original CoM, no longer own it)
3) Kingdom Hearts II (own, beaten once before)
4) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (own, played a tiny bit, never beat it)
5) Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (Do not own this game or a PSP)
6) Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Own a DS, do not own this game)
7) Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (own a 3DS, do not own this game)

I'll be playing through the highest difficulty setting of every game, and also going for something resembling completion. My definition of that is to complete the journal, beat all optional bosses, get all weapons, etc. A more detailed version of what that looks like will follow!

But no, I'm not going to force myself to maximize the stats of Sora, Donald, Goofy, let alone every other party member. I don't need to have 99x Pretty Stones from my time on Destiny Islands. Level 100? Okay, that's a goal I'm more likely to shoot for.
Enough about completion, I'll get a better sense of what that means once I start playing!

Updates will probably come more frequently Tuesday-Thursday and almost never on Fridays or Mondays. This project will last well into the summer if completed!

Let me know if you'll be along for the journey, discussion/feedback from others is always a good form of motivation. I think that's pretty much everything for now, I'll be dusting off the ol' PS2 and booting up Kingdom Hearts very soon!
---
I <3 my N64
#2UltimaSora91Posted 4/3/2012 10:35:17 AM
Hmm, I'm down with this! I normally a series playthrough whenever a new game comes out...however, my ps2 started acting up on me (and that made me furious to no end)! Typically when I do this, the story of the upcoming game makes more sense since the story of the series is fresh on my mind. I may simply buy another PS2 since I've been burning to play KH & KH2.

By the way, your name...it brings back annoying memories!
---
I love going on message boards and complaining about games I've never played! - Super Paper Mario
#3Le_DerpstickPosted 4/3/2012 12:12:14 PM
Hope you enjoy your run as much as I've been enjoying mine. :D
---
Medaka Box. -- When your reality isn't crazy enough.
If you read manga, read it.
#4dustpalPosted 4/3/2012 4:23:55 PM
Oh, TC, I might join you on this venture, although I'm going to omit KH1 and KH2 cuz I'm hopeful for an anniversary HD remake. I'll also omit days, because i've played days to death. I could go back for completion though since I still have a few challenges left. So yeah my order will probably be more like this:
1. Finish Ventus story for BBS and Post game.
2. Re:Coded
3. Re:CoM (I'm stuck on Riku mode)
4. Finish Days challenges

My list is much shorter, but I don't have the luxury of being able to play that much. Hopefully I can finish most of this before 3D comes out. I wish you luck though. Doing completetion runs for any of these games is very time intensive. Especially all weapons in CoM...
---
Navy Blue battler on the MSB
Yoshiking: A wise man once said "Never listen to wise men."
#5wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2012 8:31:20 AM
Here's what went down yesterday!

The title screen brought back some major nostalgia. Apparently the last time I picked up this game for a significant amount of time was July, 2010.

I chose Expert for my difficulty, turned the vibration setting on, and then settled back to start kicking some heartless butt!

~~~
Awakening

Awakening: The tutorial, and a dream... er, at least we think so. I chose the Staff and gave up the Sword, mostly because giving up the Shield seemed like a bad idea on Expert difficulty. This will allow me to max out my MP more quickly, and all the other stats (STR, DEF) can be boosted by items, whereas magic cannot. This will also cause me to largely rely on magic (and my partners' items) for healing. Picking Staff = lowest amount of item slots. But you get Scan and Treasure Magnet really early, and I like those abilities a lot!

I chose all three 'first' answers when talking to Wakka, Selphie and Tidus. Even though it will make level grinding more of a chore if I try to get to level 100, I thought it wise to level up as quickly as possible during the opening parts of the game. I've never played through the game on Expert before, and I want to have an advantage while taking on Guard Armor without magic and Leon without magic OR partners (and planning to win).
Not to mention, if Expert is anything like Normal you can get pretty far at Level 50; at the very least, through to Hollow Bastion. By that point, I'll have a lot more options for grinding.

I grabbed the potion, of course. I was at level 2 when I went to face Darkside initially and actually lost!! Because I want to win this battle, I restarted. Thankfully I utilized the game's first save point. Creepy that the stairs disappear behind you as you walk across to the Belle platform >_>
The second time I challenged Darkside I was victorious, and by the end of the battle I reached level 4! Yes, I spent the whole time getting tech points, haha. Reflecting the energy balls and getting a combo off while swinging at Darkside's head will give you a lot of EXP for this early in the game.

And so, I finished Awakening after 31 minutes of gameplay. I definitely took my sweet time, and had to walk away while the game was paused! But hey, I'm not exactly going for a speedrun.
~~~

I'm planning on including story questions for each area/world, regarding everything that isn't 100% clear. This is a major audience participation section of my playthrough. Here is our first batch of story questions!!

Awakening story questions:

1) What symbolism is in Sora's opening dream? ie. Riku reaches out his hand before the waves engulf him. By the end of our time on Destiny Islands, there is a very similar moment with Riku and the darkness. Are there any other instances of foreshadowing here, or is the rest just random imagery?

2) Who is the disembodied voice? Is it even a character? Do we know this? (I've heard Mickey.)

3) Where does this opening take place? Is it safe to say it's simply in Sora's dreams, or is this also a physical location?

4) "The day you'll open the door is both far off and very near." My money is on this simply being an ambiguous statement, but knowing what we know now, do you think there could be more meaning here?
~~~

I've got to go to class now, but when I come back I'll talk about the rest of what I did yesterday!
---
I <3 my N64
#6wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/4/2012 11:21:27 AM
~~~
Destiny Islands

Destiny Islands: The first real world in Kingdom Hearts, and where our journey begins! This place brings back a lot of memories :') The Kingdom Hearts series mythos begins here, with three friends who simply want to see other worlds. But from what I've heard about BbS's story, there are about half a dozen things also going on here.

Last I played, I got through Day 1.

Day 1: Collect items for Kairi, duel away. Pretty simple! I got the Hi-Potion from Kairi after giving her all the supplies: Two logs, cloth, rope.

Collecting all the supplies needed is extremely simple, that's the first thing I did. After I got all that stuff, I talked to Wakka to start dueling away! There are five duels: Wakka, Selphie, Tidus, 3-on-1 with WST, and then the Riku duel.

The WST 1-on-1 battles are extremely easy, I did those first in Wakka-Selphie-Tidus order. Wakka is kinda fun to duel because locking onto him and hitting his blitzballs back stuns him and also earns you tech points. Selphie is kinda strange, I've heard this duel referred to as "borderline abuse" and I'm tempted to agree, haha. I forgot that sometimes she will randomly SIT DOWN during the duel, what the heck? She's the hardest to earn tech points against so I battled her just once as well.

Then, Tidus. I fought normally without farming tech points, which left me really close to reaching level 5. I dueled Tidus a second time and milked the fight for as many EXP points as possible, until I reached level 6. After that I attempted the 3-on-1 duel, which took me four tries to win.

My strategy was to take out Tidus first, then take out Selphie, and finally just deal with Wakka. There's probably a better way of doing it, but I find the crucial aspect of my strategy is to focus on one at a time, and be very aggressive. Winning this duel got me another potion!

I dueled Tidus one more time to reach level 7 before battling Riku. That only took one attempt! As long as you can dodge Riku's attacks, and avoid the temptation to button mash, you can ALWAYS win. I was tempted to farm potions and repeatedly duel Riku, but it was time to progress the story!

The two scenes (Destiny Islands, Disney Castle) that end Day 1 are fairly interesting, but straightforward. There are no major questions presented!

Total play time: 1 Hour, 11 Minutes.
~~~

Day 2, here I come!
---
I <3 my N64
#7wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2012 9:32:20 AM(edited)
Didn't get to play as much as I wanted to yesterday, but I still got a pretty significant amount of stuff done.

~~~

Destiny Islands - Day 2

The first stop during Day 2 is to race Riku. I actually lost to him the first time, so I restarted. After beating him on my second attempt I got a Pretty Stone and moved onto food collecting! Racing Riku over and over simply to farm Pretty Stones has got to be one of the most pointless things ever. Honestly, it's only 30 munny per item! If you like racing Riku, that's one thing.

I always have fun collecting the Coconuts, Mushrooms, Fish, Seagull Egg and Drinking Water. Obviously the most interesting part of this is going into the Secret Place for the first time and enjoying dat cutscene! Also important is the Protect Chain, which I grabbed and equipped immediately. Sora is going to need all the help he can get when it comes to staying alive >_> I returned the supplies to Kairi and got another Hi-Potion.

Cutscene cutscene cutscene, dodge Heartless and find Riku greeting darkness on his island, get THE KEYBLADE! Oh yeah. Once I got the keyblade I fought Shadows until Sora reached level 8, which required a LOT of heartless slaying. Not only did I earn a lot of EXP, I also got *ten* extra potions that Shadows dropped, bringing me to 13 total.

Yet another good reason to pick the Staff. I'm almost certain there's a correlation between picking the Staff in the beginning and an increased drop rate by enemies. This will definitely help when it comes time to synthesize everything!

I fought Darkside, which was a bit easier than last time. There's not too much to say about that! Of course, we're treated to more cutscenes, and then my adventures on Destiny Islands are done for a very, very long time.

Upon entering Traverse Town, I had played for exactly 2 hours!
~~~

If you know the answer to any of these questions, please, feel free to chime in!

Destiny Islands story questions:

1) The "hooded man" is definitely Ansem SoD, right? That's my understanding.

2) The stars blinking out... what exactly happened at this point? I'm really eager to play BbS so I can get a better idea of the chronology behind Xehanort's experiments and the border between the worlds disappearing, then Mickey meeting with Ansem the Wise.

3) "Daisy, can you take care of-" Ha, assuming this was just translated poorly. And if it was ever intended to be worth a second thought, there is a 0.0000001% chance it ever gets addressed now.

4) Sora randomly getting the keyblade. It's possible that this gets mentioned in a future game, but it seems very all of a sudden. What else is going on behind the scenes when the keyblade suddenly presents itself to Sora?
~~~

Onward, to Traverse Town!
---
I <3 my N64
#8wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2012 9:40:33 AM
~~~
Traverse Town

The rundown: Sold my pretty stone. Got three postcards and sent them in for a Cottage, Mythril Shard and Mega-potion. Opened the chest in the Accessory Shop for a Mythril Shard. Got a Mega-potion from the chest above the Gizmo Shop in the second district. Got two more potions and a pretty stone from chests in the Alley.

The main thing I did on my initial tour of Traverse Town was explore, talk to a lot of people and kill roughly 200-300 heartless! I did not run from a single Shadow. In fact, I sought them out and as a result I reached level 10 before even fighting Leon! I equipped Scan immediately after learning it. I also got several more potions and Lucid Shards for my time!

After fighting the Shadows in First District and reaching level 10, I went to talk to Cid and saved. The very next thing I'll do is fight Leon!

Now I've played for 2:46 and have 405 munny. Time to get back to it!
---
I <3 my N64
#9wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2012 4:45:32 PM
Time to power through Wonderland!

I wonder if anyone is following this little topic so far ;)
---
I <3 my N64
#10wallmasterz(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2012 7:59:29 AM
Almost done with Olympus Coliseum, time for a proper update at some point, haha.

Does everyone here always go Wonderland --> Olympus Coliseum ---> Deep Jungle?
---
I <3 my N64