Im confused - I want to just play as Sora?

#31EnferolunosPosted 12/5/2012 10:03:58 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
TL:DR; the fact is, it doesn't matter how skillful or pathetic you are in the game. It's a poor design choice to have you restart a boss battle simply because of the drop system.

It's not a poor developer choice. It shouldn't be an issue. You have plenty of time to beat it. If you're even slightly unsure if you can beat it in time, why not just force yourself to drop?
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Pokemon BW 2, Paper Mario: SS, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#32SSJ_JinPosted 12/5/2012 10:12:17 AM
Enferolunos posted...
SSJ_Jin posted...
TL:DR; the fact is, it doesn't matter how skillful or pathetic you are in the game. It's a poor design choice to have you restart a boss battle simply because of the drop system.

It's not a poor developer choice. It shouldn't be an issue. You have plenty of time to beat it. If you're even slightly unsure if you can beat it in time, why not just force yourself to drop?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mczzc5rb5F1qhf4j4o3_250.gif
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#33EnferolunosPosted 12/5/2012 10:15:30 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
Enferolunos posted...
SSJ_Jin posted...

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mczzc5rb5F1qhf4j4o3_250.gif

What are you even trying to communicate?
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, Pokemon BW 2, Paper Mario: SS, Luigi's Mansion: DM, Animal Crossing 3D
#34PT_PiranhaPosted 12/5/2012 10:30:05 AM
@SSJ_Jin

If the story of the world you are in is heating up and you spot a save point, chances are that there's a boss coming. I thought it was pretty obvious. So if your bar's looking a bit too low for comfort, just switch then.

Or maybe the instant the boss starts, switch. You won't have done anything to the boss, so there's nothing to repeat next time you're back with that character.

On paper the Drop system bugged me too, but in practice it really didn't get in my way.
---
"If he reaches the sixties, he'll become unstoppable!" - Robin
"Barkswantsapiratehat." - Crazy Barks
#35GrapeKiwi(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:32:19 AM
How far my topic has fallen...
boys will be boys.. .`-`
---
Hi guys! I'm an ex HoN semi-pro who streams Dota 2 and PS1/PS2 GAMES: currently streaming FF7/Tales of Phantasia
http://www.justin.tv/kawaiikiwix3
#36Hirokey123Posted 12/5/2012 10:52:44 AM
SSJ_Jin posted...
And on that note, seems like it happened to Hirokey too, no? Unless you read up on it, (or I told you lol) you wouldn't have known boss battles repeat unless it happened to you. So if it's the later, guess you're not so good at the game either, huh? Or who knows, maybe the manual says it or you guessed it from normal enemies. It's still dumb regardless.

I knew about it ahead of time because it was a big complain in the japanese version where it was a legitimately problem because only the Boss's HP would reset not yours. When they changed it to reset both HP bars it went from a legitimate problem to a minor issue.

That being said I've only dropped once during a boss fight and that was my oversight because I got so caught up in the battle I hadn't realized the boss had been raising my drop gauge till it was to late. But I didn't go blaming the game for that, it was my fault and I totally acknowledge that. When I redid the fight I did better making sure to avoid that attack that raised my gauge multiplier and made sure to keep a closer eye on it. I learned from my mistakes and got better, which is how games work.

So yeah I wasn't as good but then I got better, I dropped more times fighting certain enemies than anything else and each time I dropped i made sure to learn from my mistake and get better.

Also just to be clear I didn't ignore the argument the first time it was just absolutely so minor that I didn't see it as a big enough problem to fully address. After you made a big deal about it then I addressed it directly and explain why it's nothing more than a minor annoyance.

The japanese one is a legitimate bad game design but the overseas one is more like an oversight rather than an inherently bad design in terms of how annoying it is.

The way I see it though is that if dropping didn't have any consequences there be no reason for bosses to have attacks that raise your drop meter. Also if dropping doesn't have any consequences then it's pretty much nothing but beneficial and arguably abuse-able effects.

I mean maybe if these bosses were like Days bosses where they are kinda slow to hurt and have enormous HP bars you'd have a point. But none of these bosses were designed to be slow or have ridiculous amounts of HP. They were all designed with the mind set that you'd be constantly on them plowing through them as fast as you could. A number of the bosses you chase also have a weaknesss to hinder them. Which shows when they throw you through a mini boss rush mid-game and you can defeat them all fairly easily in the span of a single drop.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#37SilentHeroSMT44Posted 12/5/2012 10:55:09 AM
My only problem with it is that it did NOT improve the pacing for me. And while I can easily see how it could work for some people, it's not for everyone.
I have my own way to play, and the Drop Gauge taking up space at the bottom was a constant reminder of one less thing I have control over in this game, with the exception of Drop-Me-Nots, which I didn't even get until the third world. It only screwed me over in one boss battle, and its because I was completely under leveled, so even with a full gauge, it wasn't enough time. But that was easily remedied with some drop bonuses.
Still, it didn't bother me, it mostly upsets me because of the problems it can cause for OTHER players, and could have possibly been handled better. But it is just a minor inconvenience for me.
---
3DS FC- 5112-3442-4985 Just send me a message if you add me.
#38Sticky_DerpPosted 12/5/2012 11:04:26 AM
You can't call it "terrible game design" when they made it so you can easily manage it so that you don't drop.

You can, however, call it "annoying" or "a f***ing stupid idea".
But terrible? No. It was implemented in a way that allowed user control. It can be annoying, but the game design is not the fault. The concept is, but it's what they wanted, so we just have to bear with it.

They made it easy to bear with, though, so there's really no room to complain. Lament the idea, but appreciate the practice.
#39SSJ_JinPosted 12/5/2012 11:53:21 AM(edited)
PT_Piranha posted...
@SSJ_Jin

If the story of the world you are in is heating up and you spot a save point, chances are that there's a boss coming. I thought it was pretty obvious. So if your bar's looking a bit too low for comfort, just switch then.

Or maybe the instant the boss starts, switch. You won't have done anything to the boss, so there's nothing to repeat next time you're back with that character.

On paper the Drop system bugged me too, but in practice it really didn't get in my way.

Thanks, but it only happened once. The funny thing is, all these people complaining threw out, "you just suck, it's your fault, etc. etc." and NONE of them even considering the possibility that since it was my first time playing I didn't know bosses would reset. Thus...it happened. And only once too, which I clearly wrote. Furthermore it was that dream eater that froze the whale. He kept running away.

But anyway, I allowed them to go ahead and spew "you suck" anyway because it is GFAQs. I'm just sad not one person even thought of this even when I threw the hint. *sigh*

Sticky_Derp posted...
You can't call it "terrible game design" when they made it so you can easily manage it so that you don't drop.

But terrible? No. It was implemented in a way that allowed user control. It can be annoying, but the game design is not the fault. The concept is, but it's what they wanted, so we just have to bear with it.

They made it easy to bear with, though, so there's really no room to complain. Lament the idea, but appreciate the practice.

It is terrible design. I bet we'll never see it again. And what game has ever made you restart a boss battle from the beginning simply because it forced you to switch characters? They had it so enemies would respawn and it was left for bosses, which was an oversight. The fact that as you say one has to manage, (i.e. waste time dropping out) is proof that the system is broken. You shouldn't switch on bosses. Period.

EDIT: Oh, and Hirkoey just said, it was even worse in the Japanese version to which they made this fix for the other versions. This was a developer oversight. That simple.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KDXVEOqj8
http://antir.site90.net/
#40EnferolunosPosted 12/5/2012 1:08:30 PM
SSJ_Jin posted...
PT_Piranha posted...
@SSJ_Jin

Thanks, but it only happened once. The funny thing is, all these people complaining threw out, "you just suck, it's your fault, etc. etc." and NONE of them even considering the possibility that since it was my first time playing I didn't know bosses would reset. Thus...it happened. And only once too, which I clearly wrote. Furthermore it was that dream eater that froze the whale. He kept running away.

But anyway, I allowed them to go ahead and spew "you suck" anyway because it is GFAQs. I'm just sad not one person even thought of this even when I threw the hint. *sigh*

Sticky_Derp posted...

It is terrible design. I bet we'll never see it again. And what game has ever made you restart a boss battle from the beginning simply because it forced you to switch characters? They had it so enemies would respawn and it was left for bosses, which was an oversight. The fact that as you say one has to manage, (i.e. waste time dropping out) is proof that the system is broken. You shouldn't switch on bosses. Period.

EDIT: Oh, and Hirkoey just said, it was even worse in the Japanese version to which they made this fix for the other versions. This was a developer oversight. That simple.

The sentence in bold: Is that honestly what you believe?
---