The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Question about Zemya...

#1Iffy_JotterePosted 4/13/2011 6:47:11 AM
What does "Zemya" mean in Russian? Anybody out there know?

The word is spelled with proper Cyrillic letters on their insignia - my Websters has a chart of Cyrillic ( Russian ) letters under "alphabet" - But when I Google "Zemya", all I get is a Russian pop starlet, and the Bulgarian word for "Earth".

I believe the relationship to Russian and Bulgarian is like that of Spanish to Portugese: same alphabet, but somewhat different words. So does "Zemya" also mean "Earth" in Russian?

Anyone out there feel like discussing this?
---
Glory to Cygnar, and a round of applause for anyone who knows what I'm talking about!
#2eishinPosted 4/13/2011 11:01:38 AM
The devs are Bulgarian incidentally, (Ubisoft Sofia?) which may explain that...
---
http://www.youtube.com/eishinki
#3Julian_GollopPosted 4/14/2011 2:42:34 AM
Well spotted iffy_Jottere and eishin. Zemya is indeed the Bulgarian word for earth. The Russian word is Zemlya, which is similar, but more difficult to pronounce for English speakers
#4eishinPosted 4/14/2011 10:27:14 AM
Julian_Gollop posted...
Well spotted iffy_Jottere and eishin. Zemya is indeed the Bulgarian word for earth. The Russian word is Zemlya, which is similar, but more difficult to pronounce for English speakers

Are you the actual Julian Gollop? I've been a big fan of your games since the original X-COM. :)
I hope Ubisoft gives you further opportunities to develop games in a similar vein.
And, I thank you for the many, many hours of enjoyment I've gotten from your games.
---
http://www.youtube.com/eishinki
#5Julian_GollopPosted 4/14/2011 11:21:50 AM
Thanks for your comments eishin. Yes, I am actually me (that sounds a bit strange).
I would certainly like to develop more games in the turn-based tactics/strategy genre - but GRSW will have to sell well enough to justify it.
#6Iffy_Jottere(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2011 8:05:56 PM
Thank you all, eishin and Julian for responding to my question. I very much appreciate it!
---
Glory to Cygnar, and a round of applause for anyone who knows what I'm talking about!
#7MasterChef1121Posted 4/15/2011 3:37:55 AM
Julian_Gollop posted...
Thanks for your comments eishin. Yes, I am actually me (that sounds a bit strange).
I would certainly like to develop more games in the turn-based tactics/strategy genre - but GRSW will have to sell well enough to justify it.

How is it selling, relatively speaking (if you can tell us, I know it can be an touchy subject)? I too would like too see more games in this vein.

Also: You should get a VIP account on here, and thanks for the amazing game!
---
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
#8ThiagoMayPosted 4/16/2011 4:00:24 PM
Epic thread.

Even if this game doesn't sell, I hope you know that you ARE the man responsible for saving the 3DS launch line-up. LOL!

A sequel designed for the 3DS would be really, really great! :)
---
Nintendo 3DS: 4296-3009-6559 --- Monster Hunter 3: TWIAGO (HR: 200+)