Just completed the game but... (ENDING SPOLERS, AND OTHER)

#1AdmantCrowPosted 11/10/2012 12:02:28 AM
I very much enjoyed the game (perhaps not as much as Last Specter or Unwound Future) but there a few things I didn't fully understand. Where were the statues in the Petrification Miracle hidden? Inside the Balloon? And if so, why would there be tire tracks? And how was the MG flying? (Have theroies, but want to see other peoples ideas.)

The Mask of Chaos that was stolen by MG from Henry's house was the fake one, right? Then how did Angela end up in the room of the Inn with the real one (if that was the real one)?

Finally, with the post-credits scene, that giant pit that Descole stands over, was that likely in just some random part of the desert.
---
"No one cared who I was until I put on the mask."
#2BeanBeanKingdomPosted 11/10/2012 2:37:13 AM
The carriage with the statues was in the balloon, the tracks were made by it after the Masked Gentleman's accomplices placed the statues in order to get it away from the scene and back to the racecourse. It is unexplained how the Masked Gentleman was flying, but it was probably through the same balloons that were used in the levitation miracle.

The Masked Gentleman had the true Mask of Chaos all along, Angela took the fake one and said it was stolen by him in order not to raise suspicion about its authenticity. She doesn't have the real one with her when she's found in the Reunion Inn by Layton, she gets it when the Masked Gentleman throws it away in the hall to reveal his identity. At that point in time the fake mask was probably still lying around where she hid it.

It's a place near Monte d'Or that was also raised on the surface when Layton solved the final puzzle.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#3henke37Posted 11/10/2012 2:44:52 AM
Just think about things, who held the real mask when it disappeared?
#4AdmantCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 3:07:47 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
The carriage with the statues was in the balloon, the tracks were made by it after the Masked Gentleman's accomplices placed the statues in order to get it away from the scene and back to the racecourse. It is unexplained how the Masked Gentleman was flying, but it was probably through the same balloons that were used in the levitation miracle.

The Masked Gentleman had the true Mask of Chaos all along, Angela took the fake one and said it was stolen by him in order not to raise suspicion about its authenticity. She doesn't have the real one with her when she's found in the Reunion Inn by Layton, she gets it when the Masked Gentleman throws it away in the hall to reveal his identity. At that point in time the fake mask was probably still lying around where she hid it.

It's a place near Monte d'Or that was also raised on the surface when Layton solved the final puzzle.

Thanks for telling me. I seem to have more trouble remembering events during this game then other Layton games...except for the parts that were really good. I feel this games story is a lot like Diabolical Box...okay, but leading to something awesome.
---
#5BeanBeanKingdomPosted 11/10/2012 3:38:21 AM(edited)
AdmantCrow posted...
Thanks for telling me. I seem to have more trouble remembering events during this game then other Layton games...except for the parts that were really good. I feel this games story is a lot like Diabolical Box...okay, but leading to something awesome.

While this game really delves into the characters, much more so than previous games, it's structured in a way that leaves many details of the plot itself to being told rather than shown: for example, the first three miracles of the Masked Gentleman, which happen before Layton and friends get into town, or even subsequent ones since Layton solves them long after they've happened. Having to keep track of two parallel storylines with present and past Layton also contributes to making remembering events more difficult. It's a layered narrative, but in one's head it can also feel disjointed.

Yet we can all agree the sixth game will be a complete freaking epic.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#6AdmantCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 4:05:11 AM
AdmantCrow posted...

While this game really delves into the characters, much more so than previous games, it's structured in a way that leaves many details of the plot itself to being told rather than shown: for example, the first three miracles of the Masked Gentleman, which happen before Layton and friends get into town, or even subsequent ones since Layton solves them long after they've happened. Having to keep track of two parallel storylines with present and past Layton also contributes to making remembering events more difficult. It's a layered narrative, but in one's head it can also feel disjointed.

Yet we can all agree the sixth game will be a complete freaking epic.

Yeah, this is the first time I've actually had to use Layton journal to keep track of events. It's a good game, maybe to not the best, but still a good game. Though, I'm haven't played any Layton game for 10+ months, so I'm having trouble remembering details of some of the other Layton games. I should play through them again, to refresh my memory.
---
#7AdmantCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 6:20:09 AM
As a final question, if the mask Angela stole was a fake, and it was the one Layton found with her when he found her trapped, how was he able to use it with the Azran pillars?
---
#8BeanBeanKingdomPosted 11/10/2012 6:51:18 AM
I've already told you they had the real mask by that point. Randall throws it away when he reveals his identity in the hall of the Reunion Inn, after Layton descends the ropes to save Luke, then Angela (actually Descole) gets his hands on it knowing it will be necessary to solve the mystery of Akbadain. The fake mask wouldn't even be able to split up in the two masks (Order and Chaos) simply because whoever made it wouldn't know about that.
---
#9AdmantCrow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2012 6:56:46 AM
Man this game confused me for some reason...
---
#10GipigPosted 11/11/2012 12:25:17 AM
I've already told you they had the real mask by that point. Randall throws it away when he reveals his identity in the hall of the Reunion Inn, after Layton descends the ropes to save Luke, then Angela (actually Descole) gets his hands on it knowing it will be necessary to solve the mystery of Akbadain. The fake mask wouldn't even be able to split up in the two masks (Order and Chaos) simply because whoever made it wouldn't know about that.

Actually, that's not true. If you watch the episode "The Taste of Revenge", it is revealed that Descole found the fake mask at some point (presumably when he locked the real Angela up) and swapped it for the real one. Which makes a lot of sense if you think about it: if his goal was to obtain the two masks, why risk letting Randall run around with one of them?

I do wish they had actually mentioned that during the game proper, though; until I went back to watch the new episodes completing the game unlocked, it seemed like a big plot hole.