When do you unlock subclassing/hidden classes?

#1_Matt_Engarde_Posted 11/24/2012 7:02:33 PM
I want to know mainly because I'm planning to create a party with which I can complete the entire (main) game... and I'd like to know the viability of making my Nightseeker subclass as an Imperial...

My (Currently Planned) Party:

Front: Swordsman/Runemaster, Dancer/Nightseeker, Nightseeker/Imperial
Back: Medic/?, Runemaster/?
---
Official Matt Engarde of GameFAQs/Metatron of the SMTIV board.
"Hold on a sec. I'm gonna consult myself, OK?"
#2WaffleDeePosted 11/25/2012 7:51:47 AM
If I remember correctly beating certain stratums unlocks the classes:

2nd stratum: Mystic
3rd stratum: Samurai
4th stratum: Imperial

Unfortunately, you'll have to reach the 5th stratum before you can get imperials.
I assume beating the 2nd stratum unlocks subclassing.
#3_Matt_Engarde_(Topic Creator)Posted 11/25/2012 2:37:02 PM
WaffleDee posted...
If I remember correctly beating certain stratums unlocks the classes:

2nd stratum: Mystic
3rd stratum: Samurai
4th stratum: Imperial

Unfortunately, you'll have to reach the 5th stratum before you can get imperials.
I assume beating the 2nd stratum unlocks subclassing.

So then do you suggest doing this...? (I've heard the Medic isn't totally required, so I assume a Protector would make a good front-row substitute...)

Front: Swordsman/Runemaster, Protector/?, Dancer/Nightseeker
Rear: Runemaster/?, Sniper/?
---
Official Matt Engarde of GameFAQs/Metatron of the SMTIV board.
"Hold on a sec. I'm gonna consult myself, OK?"
#4WaffleDeePosted 11/25/2012 5:25:37 PM
I'm not really suggesting anything, but it seems that a lot more party combinations are viable in this game. Just use what you think works best.

Dancer's (and to a lesser extent mystics) can be specced for healing if you're worried about not having a medic.
#5nemerzPosted 11/27/2012 10:06:02 AM
so only 3 classes to unlock? The other games had like 12 classes to chose from right? So are the classes more balanced this time?
#6WaffleDeePosted 11/27/2012 1:10:11 PM
nemerz posted...
so only 3 classes to unlock? The other games had like 12 classes to chose from right? So are the classes more balanced this time?

Etrian odyssey 3 had 12, but one was farmer who is obsolete with the new gathering system, and Etrian odyssey 4 has 10 classes.

You are basically losing one class choice, but the classes in this one seem to have much more build variety.
#7ItemBreakPosted 11/28/2012 12:29:15 PM
You don't get subclassing right after stratum two. You have to find the Ikusabito village and defeat Kibagami first (names will probably be changed in the NA version).
#8WaffleDeePosted 11/28/2012 4:47:30 PM
ItemBreak posted...
You don't get subclassing right after stratum two. You have to find the Ikusabito village and defeat Kibagami first (names will probably be changed in the NA version).

Could you be slightly more descriptive?
I'm not trying to spoil the game, but it would be nice to get a general point in the game where this happens.