Boiling Lizard - Mists etc...

#1OctoberKnightPosted 3/8/2013 11:06:49 PM
Well. Things jumped up a notch for me. The Boiling Lizard has stopped me ...cold?

My team is levels 30-40. I'm running a L/F/N with an A/S in the back row. My Fort is subbed Dancer and my Arcanist is subbed Medic. The Landy, Sniper and Nightseeker are all awaiting the Bushi sub if and when I beat Boiling Lizard.

We all have fire charms equipped but we're taking 160'sh damage per fire attack. Ouch.

I went in ill-prepared and got him to 2/3rds of his health so I know I could outlast him if I had a supply of Fire Mist - but I have no idea where I got Monks Cress.
---
This thread is already dead.
ATATTATATATATATATATTATATTATATATA!!!
#2ArrawntPosted 3/8/2013 11:09:04 PM
Break the big scale in the back, that'll take his fire breath damage out of the three digit range. Gives you a preemptive attack too.

You can use pole stones if needed to cheese breaking them all before the boss catches you.
#3ThatSageGuyPosted 3/8/2013 11:13:12 PM
Arrawnt posted...
Break the big scale in the back, that'll take his fire breath damage out of the three digit range. Gives you a preemptive attack too.

You can use pole stones if needed to cheese breaking them all before the boss catches you.

Don't forget it also lowers the bosses hp by half.
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
#4Smelly_GoombaPosted 3/8/2013 11:25:04 PM
Don't forget it also lowers the bosses hp by half.

important point to note.

that thing has 21,000 at full hp I believe.
---
We have entered an endless recursion of time.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z20/smelly_goomba/k-on01bd.png
#5AzamothPosted 3/8/2013 11:36:28 PM
One of the chests in there has a light armor with 2-3 more fire resistance. Throw that and a fire charm on your Fortress, and eat a rare fish from the mountains for a chunk of fire resist. Then just have your fortress party/line guard to protect everyone.

Make sure to grab a ton of Ice Stakes. Break one thing of scales at a time and leave the room. Wait for the boss to return to his starting position and run back in to break the next pile of scales. They are also helpful for the fight itself. Once he places some scales do a party guard because he's very likely to bust out a party wide fire attack. Use the Ice Stakes to one shot the scales and have your stronger characters keep attacking the boss.
#6OctoberKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 11:47:14 PM
Beautiful. Thanks guys.

I hadn't thought of the Pole Stone thing. I found more Monks Cress just now so I've got that going for me.

I'm going to grind a few levels to help bring my Fort up to speed.
---
This thread is already dead.
ATATTATATATATATATATTATATTATATATA!!!
#7Marak02Posted 3/9/2013 12:14:48 AM
The main key is to break the large stack of scales (the Heat Source) behind where the Boss is sitting. It freezes him in place, so that A) he no longer chases you around and B) you can hopefully get behind him for a Preemptive Attack and C) HE STARTS THE BATTLE AT HALF HEALTH. If you try to fight him without shattering that source, well, good luck. I hope you're Level 45 or something equally ludicrous.

The next most important thing: having extra Ice Stakes! You can use them in-battle to kill the Lizard's Scale "adds" in a single blow. HOWEVER, if you run out of stakes, you can still Freeze the Scales with Ice-element attacks so that they can't perform Combo Attacks with the Lizard.

If you break the Heat Source and keep the Scales in check, the fight is very manageable. Putting on some Fire Resistant Armor and eating some Fire Resist food is icing on the cake at that point.
#8danny5329Posted 3/9/2013 12:42:07 AM
1. Stock up on tons of Ice Stakes ( for use in battle too )
2. Break the large scale
3. Make sure Fire Mist is up all the time
4. 1 point of Fire Rune skill will give 75% reduction to fire
#9ThatSageGuyPosted 3/9/2013 2:05:10 AM
danny5329 posted...
1. Stock up on tons of Ice Stakes ( for use in battle too )
2. Break the large scale
3. Make sure Fire Mist is up all the time
4. 1 point of Fire Rune skill will give 75% reduction to fire

And 6 points in fire rune will give 50% reduction. I don't know if fire mist stacks with fire rune, but if you're using fire rune + fire resist food + fire charms, you shouldn't even need fire mist.
---
It's free to play after you buy it. That's F2P genius. ~ Brutal_Felix
#10Chaosmaster00Posted 3/9/2013 2:29:10 AM
Just to clarify something, 1 point in a resist/diffuse (very first of each element) Rune does not reduce it's element type's damage to your party BY 75%, it reduces the damage of that element to your party TO 75%, aka a 25% damage reduction... correct wording is important in this aspect.

Just saiyan... :|
---
''Sage'' of The Denpa Men board (Completionist Medal of Honor: http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg)
3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269 | Etrian Odyssey 4: DEFINITELY F.O.E.