Metal/Rainbow Pooka

#1MeiteronPosted 3/13/2013 10:07:13 AM
I'm sitting at 98.75% enemy discovery and there are only two missing spots in my codex; I've been told I'm missing these two Pookas. Through out the entire game I've only ever seen the standard, red, and gold versions of Pookas. Is there a good place for tracking these two down?
#2PhazonedgePosted 3/13/2013 10:11:10 AM
I'm sitting at 98.75% enemy discovery and there are only two missing spots in my codex; I've been told I'm missing these two Pookas. Through out the entire game I've only ever seen the standard, red, and gold versions of Pookas. Is there a good place for tracking these two down?

I got lucky and found both in the fourth land. Don't have any tips to actually getting them to spawn though, except maybe level some characters on the FOEs there and hope you get lucky.
---
Ore o dare da to omotte yagaru?!
3DS Friend Code: 0216-0932-9466 3DS Pass Id: passid.ca/Phazon
#3YdhadixPosted 3/13/2013 10:24:18 AM
I don't think they'll spawn while your actually in the area. If you're in a maze or cave in the area, then yes but they don't show up while you're flying around.

My method has always been to check the Sky Map every time I leave a dungeon. Pookas spawn while you're doing other things, but they show up on the Sky Map even while you're not in the area. This way you can tell where they are, and where they're going (since all of the Pookas move in a set course). If you're in town or in a maze when you notice one, save the game and go to that area. Try to catch it, but watch how the Pooka moves and take note of any caves or anything nearby. If you can't get to it in time, you can reset and teleport to the nearest cave that it went by, thus making catching them that much easier. Also, they like food. So if you have any (literally, ANY) food and you can get it within 2 spaces of them, they'll head to the food instead of following their path.
#4DerpyHoovesPosted 3/13/2013 10:26:37 AM
I have seen both. Metal Pookas, I found in the Scarlet Pillars, and Rainbow Pookas, I found in the Sacred Mountains.
---
"Eternal Chaos.. comes with chocolate rain, you guys! Chocolate! Rain!"
#5YdhadixPosted 3/13/2013 10:31:04 AM
Also, another note. I pointed out that Pookas have set routes. The Pookas that spawn on these routes will always be the same type. So, for instance if you find a Pooka in Windy Plains that spawns in B2 and heads NW to A1 and it happens to be a White Pooka, then every time you see a Pooka spawn in B2 and head NW, it will always be a White Pooka.
There's no random generation of these Pooka types either. From what I can tell, their patterns and spawn types will always be the same, even between different save files.
#6Smelly_GoombaPosted 3/13/2013 10:43:55 AM
I have seen both. Metal Pookas, I found in the Scarlet Pillars, and Rainbow Pookas, I found in the Sacred Mountains.

Also, another note. I pointed out that Pookas have set routes. The Pookas that spawn on these routes will always be the same type. So, for instance if you find a Pooka in Windy Plains that spawns in B2 and heads NW to A1 and it happens to be a White Pooka, then every time you see a Pooka spawn in B2 and head NW, it will always be a White Pooka.
There's no random generation of these Pooka types either. From what I can tell, their patterns and spawn types will always be the same, even between different save files.

I see.

I always go after the same Pookas so no wonder I haven't seen either a Metal or Rainbow Pooka. How many different Pookas are there anyway?
---
We have entered an endless recursion of time.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z20/smelly_goomba/clannad19-nagisa2703.gif
#7GroadergreenPosted 3/13/2013 10:48:24 AM
Yeah you have five pookas total and each has its own spawn timer separate from the others. I usually park my butt in the first land and fly up and down across the land. You will need to waste a day in order to get a pooka that you have killed to spawn again, and around half a day if you missed it last time.

The spawn locations aren't completely random either, they'll spawn in the maps farthest from town that you've unlocked. By post game you'll see only the Vit one in Land 2, the Str one in Land 3 and the other three will be in Land 4.

Some people say do 400 steps and rest but if the three in Land 4 spawn overnight during then you'll probably only be able to snag one or two (if you're lucky). I fly up and down the land and just pass time normally and because I use this method I catch every pooka when they spawn and never miss one. It's useful if you want to raise the stats of one or all your characters evenly since you'll keep getting one of every book.

Start at town and fly up to the top of the map, and then down to the bottom and back up to town. Check the maps for land 2, 3 and 4. If you see one, get to it and kill it, if not repeat.

Eventually you'll know when each will spawn in relation to each other and you won't have to check the maps so much.
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#8Smelly_GoombaPosted 3/13/2013 11:21:03 AM
what do you mean start at town, etc...

you really mean to get out of town, head to the 1st land, stay in the same spot but fly all the way up, then back down to reenter the town. Check the maps for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Lands and if nothing happens, go outside and do it again?
---
We have entered an endless recursion of time.
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z20/smelly_goomba/clannad19-nagisa2703.gif
#9YdhadixPosted 3/13/2013 1:49:42 PM
Smelly_Goomba posted...
what do you mean start at town, etc...

you really mean to get out of town, head to the 1st land, stay in the same spot but fly all the way up, then back down to reenter the town. Check the maps for 2nd, 3rd and 4th Lands and if nothing happens, go outside and do it again?

Not particularly. I mean, when you happen to find yourself in town or in one of the main 6 mazes (the ones with Geomagnetic Poles) check your Sky Map for the 4 lands. If you notice a Pooka, head back to town so that you can jump to the entrance of the nearest maze to said Pooka. It's not necessary, but it makes it easier to catch some of them.
#10MachachanPosted 3/13/2013 2:14:49 PM
A good way is to fly 16 tiles, then entering a dungeon. Check maps, go to appropriate place if one spawned, otherwise do another 16.

The reason for this is that they have pretty small spawn windows, and are counted in steps. It usually takes ~384-400 steps (half a day of walking) to get a pooka to appear that you didn't get, and ~768-800 (a full day worth of moving) for one that you did get.

...counted from the time of their disappearance.