Recipe guide

#21EspermanPosted 4/15/2012 9:51:07 AM
^Thanks... Although, don't worry about making it a priority... Take your time... I'm not sure if Pierre has favorite/favored dishes down the road, but I do know that he seems to favor dishes high in stamina (Dishes that potentially heal a lot of stamina...) over those that don't heal as much stamina... I guess you could try something really simple like a one ingredient dessert... (Particularly one that uses an ingredient that's easy to come by...) It's too bad hot milk isn't a dessert... That would be a good test subject since it just uses milk (And a pot...) and milk is already easy to come by if you live in Bluebell... Though if this helps, I've never gotten a heart rating using regular pudding... A high music note dish is as high as I've ever gotten... (I used it often when I would accidentally sell the honey I was going to use for honey pudding...)
---
You know its odd... I really can't get the phrase "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu-sen Ama Kakeru Ryu no Hirameki" out of my head... Maybe its just me... :(
#22capaulPosted 4/15/2012 10:33:18 AM
I've gotten hearts for plain pudding. But I notice I get a better saying from him with extra ingredients or the more complicated puddings.
#23EspermanPosted 4/15/2012 12:31:14 PM
I've made 5-star regular pudding (No extra ingredients... Dunno if this will help since you guys say that extra ingredients really seem to help the rating...) and I've never been able to get a heart rating from him... I entered five out of the six dessert contests... (Yeah, I kinda stopped playing after Summer of year 2...) If pudding can get you heart ratings consistently after a certain amount of time, then I assume rainmaker's theory is probably true... Though I guess research can tell when everyone starts to get better at cooking... (Although, I'd imagine it's somewhat early since I started to notice improvements from my rival town after the first Summer...)
---
You know its odd... I really can't get the phrase "Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu-sen Ama Kakeru Ryu no Hirameki" out of my head... Maybe its just me... :(
#24Rainmaker59Posted 4/16/2012 12:14:26 AM(edited)
I'm getting some confusing results here. I won't be able to make all the dessert recipes because I don't have chocolate packs and I have limited butter and cheese options (only reg. butter and good cheese) because I don't have access to the maker machines in Bluebell yet. But here are a few interesting preliminary discoveries.

I entered pudding three times. The pudding was made the same way each time ~ pot + milk + egg. Each time it received a music note ranking from Pierre. But it generated three different comments from him. This suggests that Pierre's comments are random and don't indicate the score the dish receives within a ranking. My team lost the cooking contest with all three of those pudding entries.

I then prepared pudding another tree times, this time using a black egg in place of a plain egg. I received a heart ranking with those three entries but again with three different comments. My team won two out of three with pudding prepared with a black egg. This shows that choosing a better grade ingredient when possible (better egg, milk or cheese) improves your score.

The most interesting discovery so far pertains to my two apple pie entries. My first apple pie was made using the basic recipe ~ pan + apple + flour + butter + egg. This generated a heart rating. The surprising part was that the Bluebell team earned 2 hearts and 1 music note while my team (Konohana) was the opposite with 2 music notes and 1 heart. Yet we still won.

So I prepared apple pie again, this time with a black egg in addition to the ingredients in the basic recipe. Again I received a heart rating while my teammates entries generated 1 music note and 1 ellipses. The Bluebell team received 1 heart and 2 music notes. And somehow my team won again. This suggests that certain recipes score high enough to offset low scores by your teammates entries.
---
3DS FC: 3265-5063-5380
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. ~ John Lennon
#25empressdee(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2012 2:25:23 AM
One person, other than me, replied to this topic properly. I had asked for a recipe list using a specific format.

This was the format:

Recipe name:
Utensils needed:
Ingredients needed:

The one recipe I got was this:

Recipe name: Honey Pudding
Utensils: Pot (2)
Ingredients needed: Milk, eggs, and honey

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want this list not so much to win contests, but more to the point of how these recipes are made as opposed to Magical melodies.

Someone mentioned an HM village that clearly has a different recipe set that I have pretty much gotten. I will have to re-read what village that was.

Anyway, whenever I play a Harvest moon game, there are a few things I look to master above all else:

1. Cooking things
2. Foraging all that I can see - mostly what I do in two towns so far
3. Mining - what ores can be found here
4. Fishing - just how many types of fish live in this area?
5. The villagers - my friends
6. How the sprites/Harvest Goddess are involved
7. Crops/trees

And that's the exact order that I look to complete depending on the game's tutorial. For this game, it looks like my main focus is actually foraging and completing villager quests. But, I also noticed that the cooking festivals do have something to do with the game.

So, for these two purposes:

1. For the fun in making these recipes for the first time
2. Cooking festivals

I need that list.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will NOT go to another site just for a recipe guide. I mean, come on! I got the recipe guides for all of my other HM games from this site. So, why should Tale of Two towns be any different? If recipes are the focus of the game, shouldn't that be the first thing listed in the walkthrough?

A good walkthrough for this game would first put the intro, the table of contents, and the legal stuff as every walkthrough has on this site.

But right after that legal stuff, there should be something like this said:

"The Tale of Two towns has two main goals.

1. Cooking top-notch recipes
2. Using these recipes and doing villager quests in order to officially pass it.

The list below shows the recipes in terms of categories of the festivals...

(Recipe list including tutorial recipes)"
#26capaulPosted 4/16/2012 3:53:11 AM
empressdee posted...
One person, other than me, replied to this topic properly. I had asked for a recipe list using a specific format.

I will apologize for the fact that we kind of got off-topic discussing the mechanics of winning the cooking festival. But I would think if you're trying to make a guide for winning the cooking festival and getting all the recipes, you would want to understand the mechanics as well.

I will NOT go to another site just for a recipe guide. I mean, come on! I got the recipe guides for all of my other HM games from this site. So, why should Tale of Two towns be any different? If recipes are the focus of the game, shouldn't that be the first thing listed in the walkthrough?

Not using Fogu is your choice, but I will tell you now that 90% (or more) of the FAQ's that have recipe guides for HM, probably came from Fogu to begin with. Cher puts a ton of work into her guides for HM games and all dedicated HM gamers appreciate the work she does. So, you should be aware that most of the responses you'll get from people will most likely come from Fogu.

Not to nit-pick about your post or anything, but cooking is not the main-focus of this game at all. Reuniting the two towns is. The fact that you can still do that even by watching the cooking contest without entering proves that. Granted, if you're anything like me, or most HM'ers, you're a completionist and like to have everything 100%. But it's still not the main focus of the game.
#27Rainmaker59Posted 4/16/2012 8:37:15 AM
Your opening post gave the impression that your reason for wanting the recipes was in order to win the cooking festival and to learn why some people are better at cooking winning recipes than others. Your response to capaul's first post showed that you didn't want recipes that came from Fogu. And since that's where I got my recipes, I didn't share them here. The only info on cooking I had to offer that didn't come from Fogu was in regards to the mechanics. My responses were meant to help answer why some people are having an easier time winning the cooking festival.
---
#28EspermanPosted 4/16/2012 8:55:16 AM
Wait, so you WANT this topic to be a recipe listing? Again, if you don't want to use FOGU, that's your choice... Actually, I haven't been there myself for months, but the recipes I did list were from there... Even if we list the recipes here, it's not like they're going to be any different than FOGU's... It's just a resource site and the info here wouldn't be any different... That being said, rainmaker's and capaul's observations on the mechanics of the cooking contests should technically be somewhat useful for this topic since it helps reach part of the goal your topic asks for...

Also, as far as I know, villages don't have different recipes, anyone can make any recipe regardless of what town they're in... It's just that the towns will technically make different recipes because of how their town goes about doing things depending on cooking, which is what caused the two towns to separate in the first place... And compared to Magical Melody, I assume that cooking works pretty similarly... You select which ingredients you want to cook with a utensil and possible extra ingredients and the game just makes the dish for you... Maybe MM has a mini-game that allows you to maximize a dishes rating/quality, but both games are pretty similar... The only major difference is probably that certain recipes from one game aren't in another as well as the ingredients...

As for rainmaker, those are fascinating finds once again... I knew of a few instances where people would report that their town technically scored less (On an aggregate...) than their rival towns but ended up winning the contest anyways, but I guess it isn't luck based since your research has shown that using certain ingredients (Which can garner higher ratings...) can cause Pierre to favor your town over the other's regardless of your teammates' scores and the scores of the other town... That's really good to know and again makes the luck factor take a back seat, which could very much lessen the frustration for people who just seem to have their town's worst cooks lined up with them...
---
#29Rainmaker59Posted 4/16/2012 9:31:39 AM
Another interesting find was that I made pumpkin pudding twice, once with using the basic recipe and the second time with the addition of a black egg. The pumpkin pudding recipe scored a heart both times but it wasn't enough to offset a low score by one team member. I find that interesting in light of the fact that the apple pie recipe did help offset teammates scores. Pumpkin pudding both sells for more and recovers more stamina than apple pie. Perhaps Pierre has favorite dishes. Or perhaps the fact that I've made apple pie in the past but this was my first time making pumpkin pudding factored into the results.
---
#30EspermanPosted 4/16/2012 12:08:53 PM
^Ah okay... Hmm... I guess either Pierre does have favorites where he'll overlook your teammates' scores and give your team a boost if your town scores less than the other... That or your theory about cooking and entering dishes that you've already entered before being a help (Probably on a successful basis...) may factor into allowing Pierre to overlook your teammates' scores... But either way, I still think there is SOME sort of factor (Not just luck...) that makes Pierre give your dish more of an emphasis over your teammates when deciding between your town (Who technically scored less...) and the other town...
---
More topics from this board...
Friend codes?McLovinGod18/16 11:15AM