Wow, really got slapped in the face by at least one old school smt feature...

#1Dark GunnerPosted 4/17/2013 8:20:23 AM
Having MAG. Just... it being there in general and me not quite getting how it works till just now. I went and started switching guys around, summoning and un summoning, had all 6 slots filled and I'm only in the 2nd dungeon... needless to say, before I even got in there all my MAG was drained and I was hit with what I thought was some sort of poison, till I realised what was actually going on. Now I've got 0, and before you ask, yeah I saved.......so I'm pretty effed.
---
PSN: FinalOcean
Currently Playing: Demon's Souls, BlazBlue Continuum Shift (Noel)
#2HonzouPosted 4/17/2013 8:22:18 AM
You can go to the O.E.A. and buy MAG.

hopefully the exchange rate isn't too high.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#3UnquestionablePosted 4/17/2013 8:22:40 AM
Yeah it's easy to forget since it's not usually a feature in the newer titles. I usually run around with only one or two demons out until I get to a boss
---
Immanentize the eschaton
#4ghost140Posted 4/17/2013 10:48:29 AM
Unquestionable posted...
Yeah it's easy to forget since it's not usually a feature in the newer titles. I usually run around with only one or two demons out until I get to a boss

I have played every SMT that has come stateside and I don't remember any of them having that mechanic. Yes some had MAG in them but none of them required you have it on you at all times to sustain your demons. Remember this is a updated port of the original game on the Sega Saturn that was never released outside Japan in 97', so I doubt very many people would be familiar with how MAG worked in this game.
---
"This game is now pay 2 gay" - Obsessed117 on same-sex romance in The Old Republic
#5Rasen543Posted 4/17/2013 10:51:59 AM
ghost140 posted...
Unquestionable posted...

I have played every SMT that has come stateside and I don't remember any of them having that mechanic. Yes some had MAG in them but none of them required you have it on you at all times to sustain your demons. Remember this is a updated port of the original game on the Sega Saturn that was never released outside Japan in 97', so I doubt very many people would be familiar with how MAG worked in this game.

SMT 1 and 2 for SNES (fan translation)
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#6lambruscoPosted 4/17/2013 10:53:59 AM
Can someone explain this, I just started playing and I don't quite get it.

(I only played some portions ot persona/shin megami tensei games)

Thanks!
---
Spiel Macht Frei.
#7ghost140Posted 4/17/2013 10:55:55 AM
Rasen543 posted...
ghost140 posted...
Unquestionable posted...

SMT 1 and 2 for SNES (fan translation)

Forgot about emulation, are either of those good translations, if so I might look into em.
---
"This game is now pay 2 gay" - Obsessed117 on same-sex romance in The Old Republic
#8KaelAltreulPosted 4/17/2013 10:56:52 AM
Dated games, but if you like this one you'll be fine.

I really enjoy them both and recently(about a year ago) replayed SMT 1 and 2 on my phone.
---
'Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.' -Edward D. Morrison
Kael Altreul - AIM/Xbox Live/PSN | 1246-8800-9585 - 3DS FC
#9saint35Posted 4/17/2013 10:58:54 AM(edited)
MAG - A resource obtained from battles, the place you exchange it at for Yen/vice versa or obtained from demon negotiation. The amount of MAG you lose depends on how many demons you have summoned out of your COMP. The more demons you have the more MAG you'll lose each step you take. MAG is lost with every step you take in a dungeon with demons summoned out into your party. The mechanic was introduced as far back as the original Megami Tensei. It's appeared in Megami Tensei I, II, Shin Megami Tensei I, II, Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers. Also, for sure check out Shin Megami Tensei II. Fully playable from start to finish in English with the fan translation and one of my all time favorite SMT games. Incredibly underrated in my opinion.
---
Why modern education is failing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM6c-HY8dck
#10ghost140Posted 4/17/2013 11:06:45 AM
saint35 posted...
MAG - A resource obtained from battles, the place you exchange it at for Yen/vice versa or obtained from demon negotiation. The amount of MAG you lose depends on how many demons you have summoned out of your COMP. The more demons you have the more MAG you'll lose each step you take. MAG is lost with every step you take in a dungeon with demons summoned out into your party. The mechanic was introduced as far back as the original Megami Tensei. It's appeared in Megami Tensei I, II, Shin Megami Tensei I, II, Devil Summoner and Soul Hackers. Also, for sure check out Shin Megami Tensei II. Fully playable from start to finish in English with the fan translation and one of my all time favorite SMT games. Incredibly underrated in my opinion.

Looked up SMT II sounds promising will be sure to check it out later
---