This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Art Research

#1LiquefyPosted 11/26/2012 1:37:16 PM(edited)
This might be fun. Is anyone interested in identifying the Tsunekichi/donatable art in the game?

Several of the paintings are in earlier versions of the game and have already been identified. Here is a page with the OyDnM/ACWW art:

http://www.animalxing.com/paintingsww.php

There are several new paintings. Plus, TDnM/ACNL has sculpture!

Please post if you can identify the real-life works of art and their creators (plus, optionally, where the real-life art is currently housed).

"Old" art:
sugoi meiga (Amazing Painting in English games) is "Night Watch" by Rembrandt.
ii meiga (Nice Painting) is "The Fifer" by Manet.
kireina meiga (Moving Painting) is "The Birth of Venus" by Botticelli.
ogosokana meiga (Solemn Painting) is "Las Meninas" by Velazquez.
#2Liquefy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 2:20:30 PM(edited)
I got two "new" ones:
takumashii choukoku is "Palombara Discobolus" a Roman marble copy of "Discobolus" by Myron (original bronze is lost).

shinbitekina choukoku is "Bust of Nefertiti" by Thutmose, at Neues Museum, Berlin.
#3zenxacredPosted 11/26/2012 3:21:19 PM
in my old town:

King Kamehameha IV statue
Great wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai
---
~ SG/Zen ~
XBL/Steam: ZenXacred
#4Liquefy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 4:47:11 PM
I think I found another:
araburu meiga is "Wind God and Thunder God" by Tawaraya Sotatsu in the Kyoto National Museum. (Thundurus, is that you?)
#5ThadBarrPosted 11/26/2012 8:12:52 PM(edited)
Not sure if this is a new one or not, but I received a counterfeit "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci from Redd's last scam. (From Wikipedia, "It is currently displayed in the Wawel Castle, Kraków, Poland.") I don't remember seeing it before.

Oh, and there was another Japanese print I hadn't seen before, looked like a Ukiyo courtesan portrait. I'm sure it's famous, but I'm never going to id that one.
#6ItemBreakPosted 11/26/2012 9:27:38 PM
Here are the statues I have:

Idai na choukoku (great statue) is Kamehameha I by Thomas Ridgeway Gould.
Inishie no choukoku (ancient statue) is a goggle-eyed doguu (Claydol!).
Shinpiteki na choukoku (mysterious statue) is the bust of Nefertiti.
Ririshii choukoku (imposing statue) is the statue of David by Michelangelo.
Utsukushii choukoku (beautiful statue) is the Venus de Milo.
Kougoushii choukoku (sublime statue) is the Winged Victory of Samothrace.
Takumashii choukoku (bold statue) is the Discobolos Palombara, original by Myron.
Bosei afureru choukoku (strongly maternal statue) is the Capitoline Wolf.

The only painting I have is the Flowery Painting, lol. I really like the statues.
#7Liquefy(Topic Creator)Posted 11/26/2012 9:59:04 PM
ThadBarr posted...
Not sure if this is a new one or not, but I received a counterfeit "Lady with an Ermine" by Leonardo da Vinci from Redd's last scam. (From Wikipedia, "It is currently displayed in the Wawel Castle, Kraków, Poland.") I don't remember seeing it before.

Oh, and there was another Japanese print I hadn't seen before, looked like a Ukiyo courtesan portrait. I'm sure it's famous, but I'm never going to id that one.

Lol, I kept searching "Woman or girl with white cat." I was going to search "dog" next.

Is the print you mention a woman in red kimono? I kept getting the Dutch artist that begins with "B" (I can't remember his name now) in searches.
#8ItemBreakPosted 11/26/2012 10:06:08 PM
The woman in the red kimono is the supple painting (shinayaka na meiga). I saw it in Redd's. This one, right?: http://www.tnm.jp/modules/r_collection/index.php?controller=dtl&colid=A60
#9ThadBarrPosted 11/26/2012 10:21:32 PM
Liquefy posted...

Lol, I kept searching "Woman or girl with white cat." I was going to search "dog" next.

I only knew this one because I was doing a bit of reading on the weasel family a couple months back. I've been trying to convince my family to adopt a ferret now for ten years with no luck.

Is the print you mention a woman in red kimono? I kept getting the Dutch artist that begins with "B" (I can't remember his name now) in searches.

All I thought, was " Generic Japanese print of woman, only ten thousand of those to chose from."

Wait, I just did a search, so here's a slightly more useful answer. You are thinking of George Hendrik Breitner's "Meisje in rode kimono", correct? Nope, it's absolutely not that one.

It swear it looked just like a historical piece from the 17th to 19th centuries, an example of Floating World portraiture. I'll bet it was identified on third day after release in Japan and posted already on a web site there. Same way they deciphered the cuneiform in the Abyssal Ruins in all of fifteen minutes.
#10ThadBarrPosted 11/26/2012 10:24:28 PM
ItemBreak posted...
The woman in the red kimono is the supple painting (shinayaka na meiga). I saw it in Redd's. This one, right?: http://www.tnm.jp/modules/r_collection/index.php?controller=dtl&colid=A60

I never zoomed in on it, and unfortunately already disposed of the counterfeit, but that certainly fits what I remember.