This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I haven't been following news for this game since I sold my 3DS so...

#11zenxacredPosted 12/3/2012 1:33:30 AM
Kokiburi posted...
I live in Japan and I usually can't walk down to 7/11 without getting atleast one street pass.

Same. Did you get your initial 7/11 DLC already?
---
~ SG/Zen ~
XBL/Steam: ZenXacred
#12NordiniPosted 12/3/2012 2:38:46 PM
Kokiburi posted...
Arcadia__person posted...
- streetpass!

I would LOVE this if it actually worked. I'm a college student at a large, pedestrian campus, so I do live in one of the only places in America where streetpassing is a viable option. I hope that at least a couple other people buy this game. I got a pretty large number of streetpasses last year in general, but I didn't get any this year and just stopped trying. I think people got tired of the 3DS.

I live in Japan and I usually can't walk down to 7/11 without getting atleast one street pass.

hahaha well obviously Japan is an entirely different story than the United States. I live in a university campus town too and i bet i could walk around the entire city for a day and not get a single streetpass
---
Gentlemen know that embezzlement, insider trading,tax fraud and similar activities are not actually crimes.Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#13Arcadia__personPosted 12/3/2012 5:37:52 PM
Kokiburi posted...
- streetpass!

I would LOVE this if it actually worked. I'm a college student at a large, pedestrian campus, so I do live in one of the only places in America where streetpassing is a viable option. I hope that at least a couple other people buy this game. I got a pretty large number of streetpasses last year in general, but I didn't get any this year and just stopped trying. I think people got tired of the 3DS.

Yeah, things like streetpass are clearly designed for Japan. I wish that it was like that here-- it would be a lot of fun.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#14NordiniPosted 12/3/2012 5:41:27 PM
Well our social culture is different and most people in the United States are ashamed to even bring their DS with them outside of the house.
---
Gentlemen know that embezzlement, insider trading,tax fraud and similar activities are not actually crimes.Crimes are committed by poor people and involve guns.
#15Arcadia__personPosted 12/3/2012 9:17:29 PM
Well our social culture is different and most people in the United States are ashamed to even bring their DS with them outside of the house.

I don't think that's really the problem. Nintendo just isn't as popular here, and on top of that large numbers of people don't live places where you walk by many other people. There just isn't a high enough density of DS owners.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#16myoldname(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 10:10:01 PM
I knew the swimming thing. And with StreetPass, I agree, it was obviously made for areas with social structures like Japan. I used to bring my 3DS to school (I wouldn't take it out though) and by the end of the day, I would have at least 3 StreetPasses... Of the same 7 different people over and over again.
#17SquirrelettePosted 12/6/2012 6:44:44 AM
Nordini posted...

I'm 43 and I brought and played mine at the laundromat last night. I play it on the bus. Heck, I'll even pull it out and use the browser at Starbucks. Doesn't embarrass me in the least. :-)
---
~" A chat with you, and somehow death loses its sting."~
#18ThadBarrPosted 12/6/2012 8:00:53 AM
Squirrelette posted...

I'm 43 and I brought and played mine at the laundromat last night. I play it on the bus. Heck, I'll even pull it out and use the browser at Starbucks. Doesn't embarrass me in the least. :-)

I'm just a few years younger, and I do the same thing. Nobody so much as looks at me crosseyed. In fact, hardly anyone even cares enough to ask what I'm playing, leading me to suspect that the basic 3DS (not XL) looks sufficiently like a cell phone or other generic electronic device to escape notice entirely.

That said, on the rare occasions when people do ask me which game I'm working on, I'm sometime a little evasive (depending on the situation).
#19mushandinPosted 12/6/2012 3:03:30 PM

I don't think that's really the problem. Nintendo just isn't as popular here, and on top of that large numbers of people don't live places where you walk by many other people. There just isn't a high enough density of DS owners.

I wonder if the size of the place is an issue too. i live in the UK and visit America quite often. The sheer scale of the place always amazes me. If nintendo are ot as popular there and it's such a gigantic place then maybe the chance of meeting someone with a 3Ds is reduced. here in the UK I have picked people up simply walking past my house, they are everywhere. i also don't think we have the social issue some people suggest the US does. Go into any UK train station and its like a Japanese high school. 3ds's and psp's as far as the eye can see. I played Mario Kart 7 with a pensioner once. she kicked my arse.
#20ThadBarrPosted 12/6/2012 5:39:04 PM
mushandin posted...
...On top of that large numbers of people don't live places where you walk by many other people. There just isn't a high enough density of DS owners.

I wonder if the size of the place is an issue too. i live in the UK and visit America quite often. The sheer scale of the place always amazes me. If nintendo are ot as popular there and it's such a gigantic place then maybe the chance of meeting someone with a 3Ds is reduced...

Yep, it's not so much the relative popularity of the 3DS in North America that kills Streetpassing as it is the relative population density.

Europe, put simply, has a much higher concentration of people living next to each other. The only region of the States that has the same relative number of folks crammed into the same commensurate amount of real estate is the Northeast.

If you wanted to find Japanese levels of the population density, the only part of the US that might qualify is the more narrowly defined Northeast Corridor, the giant conurbation of colonial-era cities stretching from Boston to DC.

And Nintendo's core market is in Japan, so I wouldn't expect streetpass features or mechanics to change anytime soon, if ever. Meanwhile, in the US, every 8 to 18 year-old in Kansas could own a 3DS, and outside of school, they still wouldn't ever get a streetpass.