The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looks like this game will actually be different enough!

#1PicclemanPosted 12/3/2012 8:04:35 PM
I was disappointed with City Folk because after not too long it got to the point where I was like "I've done this all before in a previous AC game." But from what I've seen on Youtube so far, this game appears to have tons of new stuff. Even if some of the stuff turns out to not be amazingly interesting or anything, it seems like there's enough new stuff to keep you exploring and experimenting for quite some time.

Some of the best things I've seen:

-Return of the island, with mini-games, a whole new currency system, and multiplayer support.
-Greater depth of house customization via Tom Nook's real estate agency.
-Lots more fruits to collect.
-Ability to alter the operating hours of shops.
---
Xbox 360 GT: Piccleman3
#2RessechuPosted 12/3/2012 8:17:35 PM
I agree.
---
I like Leon's Jacket. It's nice.
#3KeleenRemPosted 12/3/2012 8:32:53 PM
Ressechu posted...
I agree.

Me too.
#4ThadBarrPosted 12/3/2012 9:13:24 PM
Piccleman posted...
I was disappointed with City Folk because after not too long it got to the point where I was like "I've done this all before in a previous AC game." ...

Actually, I've had the game since the release date, and I'm already at the "I've already done this..." stage.

Village construction projects and shop unlocks are essentially just a few speed-bumps on the standard house construction grind. Diving adds little--I finished 85% of it within a week of getting to the Island. Similarly, the Island lets you blow through about two-thirds of your fishing and bug catching in about that same one-week time frame.

Badges are nice but essentially just confirm that you are completing the same activities/goals that you did without recognition in the earlier versions anyway. I haven't received any villager pics yet. Perhaps that might offer a bit more replay, but I doubt it.

I'm glad I picked it up, but I find myself suspecting that I will be playing NL less than I played CF, which was less than I played WW.
#5Piccleman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 10:55:58 PM
Don't you have to catch certain fish and bugs in different times of the year? How did you get 2/3 of them on the island already? Just out of curiosity.
---
Xbox 360 GT: Piccleman3
#6caranhaPosted 12/3/2012 11:01:32 PM
The island is locked in summer. Since the game launched on Fall, and we are winter now, that is already a majority of bugs and fish.
#7caranhaPosted 12/3/2012 11:03:29 PM
That said, I really enjoy the "Model houses" functionality. I always streetpass with at least two or three people going to work, and it is fun to check what others have been doing with their houses. Same thing for the Dream World.

Of course, this will trickle down in a few months when the game gets less popular.
#8PokeJunglePosted 12/4/2012 2:01:07 AM
Sounds like some of you have too much time on your hands... lol
---
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fastest Pokemon news, best blog ever: http://pokejungle.net
#9Drkr_ZenPosted 12/4/2012 3:26:28 AM
Yeah, only one I ever poured a lot of energy into was Wild World... which I enjoyed, for a time. Then I got City Folk and it just felt like more of the same. Literally a cut and paste job. Still fun, but just not enough new stuff.

This, however, looks like it actually has new stuff AND improves upon a lot of other returning features.
---
Playing: Skyrim, MHP3rd HD, ME3, KH3D, Borderlands 2 (GOTY 2012)
"See You Space Cowboy."
#10ArreiPosted 12/4/2012 4:11:47 AM(edited)
ThadBarr posted...
Actually, I've had the game since the release date, and I'm already at the "I've already done this..." stage.

IMO, I think you're encountering a different type of feeling there. The way I see it, an entry in a series always has to have that degree of familiarity once you peel away all the new stuff like customizing your village itself or diving for stuff, no? You've got some parts that just always have to be there in order to be Animal Crossing, change the bread and butter too much, lose the familiarity.

What they need to do for those "gotta have" things is improve on them, and they did - customizing individual furniture pieces, customizing the outside of your house, and wall-hanging furniture are the first real additions to the house formula since the original, yeah?

But in the case of the feeling you get from City Folk, that's the feeling that you've played this exact game before, but in portable form. Added little to the experience besides holidays, which were awesome but only come around so many times a year, villagers were duller, you had less house space. Since the bread and butter wasn't even improved, AND there's nothing new on top of it, you got the feeling that even if all the activities are supposed to be familiar, you could do them exactly the same way in its predecessor, and in some cases could even do them better.