This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fishing?

#1SuperMarioFanPosted 4/24/2013 6:54:00 PM
So did they fix how fishing works in this game? Like, fishing was more fun in the GC game. But somehow between WW and CF, it became worse: the fish constantly swam opposite the direction you wanted, some bite down but then immediately swim off, the bobber floats out to sea even though the tide is clearly coming in.. and other stuff like that.

So, how's the fishing in this game?
---
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??
#2SuperMarioFan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/25/2013 8:36:47 PM
I guess nobody knows the answer
---
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??
#3ThadBarrPosted 4/25/2013 9:33:16 PM(edited)
I have never experienced a serious problem with fishing. If you didn't like the setup in WW/CF, you are unlikely to be happy with NL, because I don't notice any obvious differences.

...some bite down but then immediately swim off...

The fish will in fact still occasionally nibble, then drift away and slowly circle back. Most of the time you'll have to change your spot, then cast again. And then sometimes the fish will again nibble, then swim away a bit, forcing you to cast one more time...

Does that seriously annoy you? Because trust me, it's still there.

...the bobber floats out to sea even though the tide is clearly coming in...

There have never been tides in any version of AC.

...the fish constantly swam opposite the direction you wanted...

I'm not sure there's hope for you.

...and other stuff like that.

Unless you can just stick to bug-catching and be okay with that, maybe this isn't really the game you should be playing.
#4SuperMarioFan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 9:23:24 AM
ThadBarr posted...
I have never experienced a serious problem with fishing. If you didn't like the setup in WW/CF, you are unlikely to be happy with NL, because I don't notice any obvious differences.

...some bite down but then immediately swim off...

The fish will in fact still occasionally nibble, then drift away and slowly circle back. Most of the time you'll have to change your spot, then cast again. And then sometimes the fish will again nibble, then swim away a bit, forcing you to cast one more time...

Does that seriously annoy you? Because trust me, it's still there.

...the bobber floats out to sea even though the tide is clearly coming in...

There have never been tides in any version of AC.

...the fish constantly swam opposite the direction you wanted...

I'm not sure there's hope for you.

...and other stuff like that.

Unless you can just stick to bug-catching and be okay with that, maybe this isn't really the game you should be playing.

You misunderstand: when I say they bite down and immediately swim off, I mean they take the bobber with them when that happens, and even if I hit the button to try and catch, they get away. I understand sometimes they will nibble, and then swim off again.

There have to be tides in the sea, because there wouldn't waves without tides. The GC version had fishing right. Fishing has been just..ok in every other version.

I'll thank you not to tell me what games I can and can't play.
---
#5KixiesPosted 4/26/2013 10:01:07 AM
I didn't play CF and don't remember WW but I've noticed fishing isn't bad. For the fish that swim in the opposite direction it's probably 5%. For the fish that take the bob, it's all reaction time. For normal fish I haven't had a problem. For the sharks or rare fish like Tuna or something, you need a really good reaction time. The sharks basically need the bob the land right in front or in site of their mouth to even swim towards. After fishing for a while you'll probably get the timing down better. They peck at the bob for a while and the most frustrating to me is when I think they're going to take the bob but they don't and run away from me pulling back. Overall the silver pole attracts fish a lot more easily. The only thing is the resort only has the standard pole. I'm sure you'll get used to pulling back quickly. It really hasn't been any issue for normal fish. I'm also unsure but I also spam the button. Not sure what happens if you only push the button once (does that make it run away?)
#6SuperMarioFan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 12:43:04 PM
It sounds like you've got the same problem I do when fishing: reaction time. I don't know about New Leaf, but in the past games, just hitting the button once to reel them in was enough.

I do know that all types of fish will nibble at the bobber up to 4 times, and take the bite on the fifth time. That has helped me catch fish, in all forms of the game (save for NL of course)
---
#7KixiesPosted 4/26/2013 12:57:45 PM
In NL most fish tend to take on the 3rd or so bite, but sometimes they even take on the first. Totally throws you off haha
#8ThadBarrPosted 4/26/2013 3:10:58 PM(edited)
SuperMarioFan posted...
You misunderstand: when I say they bite down and immediately swim off, I mean they take the bobber with them when that happens, and even if I hit the button to try and catch, they get away. I understand sometimes they will nibble, and then swim off again.

Well, that maneuver--the "take the bait and run" tactic, as I call it--is basically gone, so you don't need to worry there. I'm not quite sure when it ended, but I remember it used to drive me nuts in ACPG. Either that, or my reflexes have been massively upgraded. My health has actually improved over the last ten years, but it's not so much better that this could be a factor.

In ACNL, a fish can still bite hard on the very first approach--sometimes within milliseconds of the bobber hitting the water--but you always have a reasonable chance to catch it. In previous games, it seemed that a certain percentage of fish automatically escaped after the first hard bite, and yeah, no more of that with ACNL.

One thing that has stayed constant over every version of AC is the five nibble law. The fish will only make a total of five consecutive approaches. After four nibbles, you can take it to the bank that the fifth will be the hard bite. That was only way I was able to catch a coelacanth in ACPG.

There have to be tides in the sea, because there wouldn't waves without tides...

Tides don't cause waves except in unusual circumstances (the Bay of Fundy), and even then, the case is marginal. Waves are caused by wind. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_wave)...So called "tidal" waves aren't really waves in the traditional sense. Most people call them tsunamis (a word of, appropriately enough, Japanese origin) these days, and they're caused by tectonic events.

None of this changes the fact that there have never been any tides in AC. It would be a pretty awesome thing to add to AC Wii U, though.

I'll thank you not to tell me what games I can and can't play.

Okay, well, you're welcome.

No seriously, I was kidding when I offered the game advice earlier. Support Nintendo, buy multiple copies.
#9SuperMarioFan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 3:30:16 PM
Sorry. It's hard to tell sarcasm and such over the internet.
---