This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

why do people call me gay for playing animal crossing?

#31DawgbowlPosted 4/28/2013 5:25:21 AM
People will call you gay through high school for no reason whatsoever.

They don't know any better, that's all.

Ignore it, if it gets physical or relentless then you either need to speak up to administrators, stop bringing in the DS (which is dangerous as it could easily be stolen), or defend yourself.

Not sure what your physique is, I was a pretty slender 6'4 in high school, so even if I did bring my gameboy or magic cards, nobody really wanted to F with me.

If you are shorter/bigger guy, then it does make you a target for bullies.
---
Smashcard:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Dawgbowl/dawgbowlsmashcard.jpg
BC: 4811-6634-4092 (DANN.)
#32xaton23Posted 5/4/2013 12:01:07 AM
madpixel posted...
If you use someone else's penis as a stylus I guess I can see why they call you gay. That's ok though.

check out the Mew stylus i forgot where what nation made it but lets say the stylus is read and ironicly placed between mews legs LOL

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/02/10/a-very-disturbing-pokemon-stylus/
#33Dcl2049Posted 5/4/2013 7:59:00 AM
How long have you been in highschool, and since when do inappropriate, ill-informed, uncalled for, and hypocritical comments even matter? Hypocritical isn't the right word because your friend isn't "gay," but you know what I mean.

Anyway his idiotic opinion shouldn't be of any concern to you. Tell him he's a jackhole.

Also I feel like there is way too much CoD hate here. Just because most of us hate those repetitive, monotonous, opposite of unique or entertaining games doesn't mean we can assume anybody with a terrible personality plays it and therefore is an idiot. Even if 90% of those people are. But not everyone is a spoiled 10 year old spouting racial slurs and obscenities on xbox live.
---
I wear my sunglasses at night
3DS: Dan 0130-1908-9217
#34AchanaPosted 5/4/2013 11:10:09 AM
I think it might be a good idea to set a very clear rule with that guy, such as if he doesn't apologize and cut that out, your friendship is done. A friend does not try to hurt those they call friends, and he should be well aware of how much it hurts to be bullied; although on that same note, I am a bit worried that maybe he said that because others have messed with him. Things like bullying, homophobia, and rigid gender roles are poison that spreads easily even among their victims.

I also suggest sticking with people who are genuinely kind to you. I had issues with other people in high school. I can't even put a finger on just why it felt so wrong, but I knew I was being mocked. Having a good network of friends to spend time with helped me deal with that, even though they couldn't directly intervene (the jerks were only in one class I had, and none of my friends happened to be in it). Heck, even when I was bluntly told out of the blue "you're not our friend" when I sat down with my "friends" at a lunch table, cutting out an entire group save for a few who later told me they genuinely liked me, I was able find new friends simply by talking with other people that shared my interests.

My school had lots of classes and electives that were centered around specific interests, though, and I don't know what options yours offers. But I think that if you could meet a lot more people you could be friends with, you'll find at least some who won't actually turn against you. Like others said, if the situation with that person or anyone else gets hostile, and I don't just mean physically, report it to someone at the school. If that teacher just shrugs it off, keep talking to different teachers and administrators until someone takes it seriously.

And while you do have to live with it now, when you reach adulthood you'll find yourself in new situations, with new social circles completely unrelated to your high school. Your reputation is a clean state. You can still keep friends from high school, but often you'll be meeting new people that will hopefully be more mature than high schoolers, and won't care what video games like. There'll always be some idiots who are somehow less mature than high school kids, but don't let that sour everything; if you do run into them you can either report them to an authority in your setting (work/college/etc.) or just sever ties entirely.

Agh, I don't even know how I wrote all this, because it seems kind of corny coming from some random person on an online message board dedicated to a game about talking animals, and I don't know anything about you other than you like Animal Crossing and you have a friend who's being a jerk. But I hope that this helps you in some way.
---
Pokemon Black code: 4728 2761 0973
Character name: Asia
#35-Jammo-Posted 5/4/2013 11:24:02 AM
I play Animal Crossing and watch My Liitle Pony.
In high school I would have never felt comfortable. If you're secure enough, and mature enough you can watch/play whatever you want because you have the intelligence to like different things for different reasons and you don't have to justify it.
---
"The truth is never a laughing matter." bigdsd08
A wise proverb. Nothing in real life is worth smiling over...ever. LOL
#36RingsOfUranusPosted 5/4/2013 2:27:01 PM
How have you played it from the Gamecube onward and are still in school? Were you like 4 when it came out on the GC?
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#37RPGman1Posted 5/4/2013 2:31:24 PM
pikachupwnage posted...
Thewinner14 posted...
Things change much for the better once you get to college.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=032910

This, basically. Most of the time people who have made it to a decent college have stopped caring about what's "cool" and just do what they enjoy.
---
JAAAYYSSOOONNN! SSSHHHAAAUUUNNNN!!!
#38RingsOfUranusPosted 5/4/2013 5:09:40 PM
RPGman1 posted...
pikachupwnage posted...
Thewinner14 posted...
Things change much for the better once you get to college.

http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=032910

This, basically. Most of the time people who have made it to a decent college have stopped caring about what's "cool" and just do what they enjoy.

I wouldn't necessarily label this as a college specific trend, it happens when you grow up, period. Actually it's not a matter of not caring what's cool, it's just the things that are cool change. No longer is smoking crack and shoplifting cool, now you're just a loser.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
Ipsylos: Psyduck easily is the best representation of Christianity on Pokemon period.
#391benjyPosted 5/4/2013 5:21:44 PM
Dcl2049 posted...
How long have you been in highschool, and since when do inappropriate, ill-informed, uncalled for, and hypocritical comments even matter? Hypocritical isn't the right word because your friend isn't "gay," but you know what I mean.

Anyway his idiotic opinion shouldn't be of any concern to you. Tell him he's a jackhole.

Also I feel like there is way too much CoD hate here. Just because most of us hate those repetitive, monotonous, opposite of unique or entertaining games doesn't mean we can assume anybody with a terrible personality plays it and therefore is an idiot. Even if 90% of those people are. But not everyone is a spoiled 10 year old spouting racial slurs and obscenities on xbox live.

There's only CoD hate about because as you so rightly pointed out it's mainly played by idiots. The reason being for that is because only less intelligent players can actually find that game entertaining for long periods of time.
Im sure there's many normal people who play CoD who aren't arsehats, but they sure as hell don't have Master's Degree's ^_^
Then there's the added problem that only 10% aren't arsehats, so yeah duly deserved criticism is warranted from everyone on here xD
---
I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people, Im just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out
3DS FC:4682-8775-8377
#40finaleusPosted 5/4/2013 5:55:10 PM
Fun fact: I have two groups of friends who play animal crossing. We met with no basis of our friendships apart from animal crossing

Out of the 10 guys between the two groups, only one of us is straight (and he's the one who brought all of us in that group together, ironically). (Most of the girls are straight but I'm assuming they don't count in this topic).

You can also look at ACC (the most active animal crossing forum), and it's pretty much a given that over half (I'm honestly being conservative with the amount here) of the guys over the age of 13 on there are gay... including a good 2/3rds of the staff.

But if you're straight, then playing animal crossing doesn't make you gay. I'm just saying that it's not a surprise people are calling you gay with statistics like that.