This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are QR codes, and how will they work?

#1Zaydin-1990Posted 4/27/2013 7:24:35 PM
Okay, I've seen this a bit about New Leaf, that patterns for clothes and other designs will have QR codes that you can use to easily share your designs with other players. Now my question is: How will they work? Do I need to print them out before I can use them, or can I just hold up my 3DS to my computer monitor if I see a design I like online and the 3DS will recognize it or what? I haven't really been able to find any info anywhere else that really describes how it will work.
#2Eli1999Posted 4/27/2013 7:49:10 PM(edited)
They are codes normally that you scan with a 3DS or iPhone app that will take you to a certain website or whatever. But in the case of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, (the feature has to be unlocked first) you can scan them to get a design that someone made or make them for someone to scan so they can have your design. But with a pro design you will have to scan/make a code for the front, back, left sleeve, and right sleeve. And no, you don't have to print them.
#3KixiesPosted 4/27/2013 7:47:48 PM
When you get the ability to use them in game, when you say you want to use the QR machine it will load the 3DS camera and it will scan it like a barcode, then POOF the design will show up in your game/my designs. Personally I save QR codes I like to my phone and just scan them from the screen directly so no need to print :)

When you want to make one, you use the machine and it will auto save the codes with a picture of the design to your 3DS Gallery/SD card.
#4Zaydin-1990(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 7:52:20 PM
Eli1999 posted...
They are codes normally that you scan with a 3DS or iPhone app that will take you to a certain website or whatever. But in the case of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, (the feature has to be unlocked first) you can scan them to get a design that someone made or make them for someone to scan so they can have your design. But with a pro design you will have to scan/make a code for the front, back, left sleeve, and right sleeve. And no, you don't have to print them.

I knew what QR codes did in New Leaf; I just wasn't quite sure how it would work. But thanks; that clears up the confusion I was having. I definitely like the idea; seems like a great way to share and get other peoples designs, especially for the artistically challenged. Definitely glad I won't have to use up printer ink to get them, though.
#5PokekingPosted 4/28/2013 1:09:42 PM
Plus Nintendo's Bill Trinen confirmed that the QR codes will be region free so all those QR codes that you've saved will be okay to use.

I'm glad because I have saved some.
---
Within the dream, a journey.
#6Zaydin-1990(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 11:03:36 PM
Pokeking posted...
Plus Nintendo's Bill Trinen confirmed that the QR codes will be region free so all those QR codes that you've saved will be okay to use.

I'm glad because I have saved some.

Yeah, I saw plenty of links about that announcement when I was trying to Google exactly how the system would work, but not much on how the system would actually work outside how to unlock it.
#7AkaimizuPosted 4/29/2013 10:49:32 AM(edited)
I would've expected them to work across regions.

Would be more work to create brand new encoding algorithms (for each region) that contain the same amount of data. Unlike simple QR codes which just have a web-URL, QR codes store all the data for the pattern within themselves. Kind of like how QR codes store Miis and all the user-customized data for them in the code itself. Nintendo has been all over using QR codes for limited user-data storage. Both Pushmo and Crashmo, also use QR codes to store the entire pattern and name of a user-created puzzle. Can be shared to anybody with the game.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)