This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About this "best friend" thing...

#1PictocheatPosted 5/27/2013 6:03:03 PM
If I'm understanding correctly, you can make any of your registered friends a "best friend" on ACNL, and then you can chat with them in the game as long as they're online, even when they're not in your town?

If that's the case, that's pretty awesome!
---
U say U want a Revolution
Well, U know Wii all want to change the world
#2PicclemanPosted 5/27/2013 6:10:09 PM
You are correct. Here's an example of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgC0lZDK4Ao
---
Xbox 360 GT: Piccleman3
#3Pictocheat(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 6:23:04 PM
I'm a lot more hyped about this game now! I keep thinking I've discovered everything there is to know about this game and that it can't get any better, but then it does! The only problem I could see with this is if too many people are trying to talk to you at once because you can only see one message at a time, but at least we get a chat history.

The best friend function and custom designs for furniture are the best things this rendition of Animal Crossing introduced, in my opinion!
---
U say U want a Revolution
Well, U know Wii all want to change the world
#4nintendoggerPosted 5/27/2013 6:27:03 PM
Awesome.
---
AEPhi Sister.
Currently playing: Harvest Moon a New Beginning and The Legend of the River King.
#5FullMetalPanicPosted 5/27/2013 6:35:21 PM
Is there a limit on how many best friends you can have? Or can you BFF all of them?
---
[_PSN_] MrCiel [_NNID_] PowerBerry [_3DS_] Ciel [ 2062 | 9168 | 6736 ]
#6kumokamiPosted 5/27/2013 6:37:05 PM
FullMetalPanic posted...
Is there a limit on how many best friends you can have? Or can you BFF all of them?

Was just going to ask this.
---
[3DS ::: 0146-9307-5651]
#7ThadBarrPosted 5/27/2013 6:55:47 PM
Well, I have three on my list.

Something the video didn't show is that crosstalk can be a problem.

Imagine you have both players A and B on your list. But A doesn't have B on their list, and vice versa.

If all three of you are messaging at the same time, A will be able to see your responses to B, but will not see B's comments. And B will be able to see your responses to A, but not see A's comments.

If the network were expanded out to C, D, E, and F, with all the different lists interacting at once, I would imagine it could get very difficult to which messages are aimed at which people.
#8FullMetalPanicPosted 5/27/2013 6:58:31 PM

Imagine you have both players A and B on your list. But A doesn't have B on their list, and vice versa.

If all three of you are messaging at the same time, A will be able to see your responses to B, but will not see B's comments. And B will be able to see your responses to A, but not see A's comments.

If the network were expanded out to C, D, E, and F, with all the different lists interacting at once, I would imagine it could get very difficult to which messages are aimed at which people.

That can be a problem...
---
[_PSN_] MrCiel [_NNID_] PowerBerry [_3DS_] Ciel [ 2062 | 9168 | 6736 ]
#9kumokamiPosted 5/27/2013 7:02:40 PM
ThadBarr posted...

Wow, didn't realize that and yeah this will likely be a problem.
---
[3DS ::: 0146-9307-5651]
#10ThadBarrPosted 5/27/2013 7:15:10 PM(edited)
kumokami posted...
Wow, didn't realize that and yeah this will likely be a problem.

So far I've only run into it once. Kixies and an EU reviewer came up as active (started chiming) just about the same time. I facilitated the exchange of FCs between the two of them, and we all moved to her village. Once there we could easily see the whole conversation between the three of us.

There seem to be are several other possible simple solutions to crosstalk.

1) Don't have Best Friends.
2) Only have one Best Friend at time.
3) Only message on person at a time.
4) Make sure that all Best Friends on your list are interregistered with all the other lists.
5) Always address the person you are trying to message in the text of the message.
6) Turn off your wifi switch.
7) Don't play ACNL.

But not all of these plans are equally practical.