This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Animal Crossing. Never have I had such a love/hate relationship with a game.

#1HylianFoxPosted 5/30/2013 11:12:36 AM
Yes, they're fun, colorful, cute, and very addictive.

That right there is the problem. Addictive. These games are a HUGE timesuck for me. And as much as I love video games, I also like it when the game actually ends, I achieve 100%, and I can move on to something else.

Animal Crossing never ends. It's not the only game to make that claim, either. I at least have done my best to avoid those(like World of Warcraft, et al.)

Every day I have to check the stores, keep tabs on the neighbors, water the flowers so they don't freakin' die, keep an eye out for visitors, etc etc. Now in Wild World(the only other AC game I own), I have nearly filled my catalog so it's not as big of an issue as it once was(I'm still way behind on getting all of the neighbor pics, like 1/3 of the way there).

I did pre-order New Leaf, and am anticipating/dreading the day it arrives, since now I'll have to start ALL OVER like nothing ever happened.

*sigh*
---
You don't win friends with salad.
#2Kinneth123Posted 5/30/2013 11:14:28 AM
Yeah, this game series sort of is a completionist's nightmare, isn't it?
---
When your friend's last words to you include "Who else will I eat ice cream with?!" You might want to rethink your friends. ^^;
#3captainsquallyPosted 5/30/2013 11:14:56 AM
Starting a brand new Animal Crossing is such an exciting feeling though, I'm sure you agree!!
---
http://flashyreview.com
Unbiased, Gaming news and views
#4AkaimizuPosted 5/30/2013 11:23:44 AM(edited)
Well, it's sort of a start all over, but different in the fact that you get to taste (and continually taste) all sorts of new content from day one. That's important. The Starting all over phase, is only really felt if you had to go through the same ol' content to get to where you were before. Not so with this one. You get fresh content while you collect old and new, so that should make it seem a lot less like a grind.

To a degree, this is probably one of the only game series that qualify as containing the content and continual updates of an MMO without actually requiring any kind of online server to do so.

This is likely due to the way the players can also continually add and share content. For me, QR codes are pretty much the most important new feature that people are over-looking. I can't blame them. Outside of Nintendo, nobody else really has made REAL use of QR codes outside of giving people a website link or something.

Nintendo realized how much actual data could be stored in a QR code and noted that actual game content can be stored in there. Which means, in all actuality, one could actually store more custom data for an Animal Crossing game than what has been made for Any MMO out there, so far. Of course, it would take some dedicated groups of people to store hundreds of Gigabytes of user-crafted QR-code content. But it could be there, organized, and ready to import into any copy of ACNL as they like.

Those of us (before Animal Crossing), who dealt with trading Mii data, plus games like Pushmo or Crashmo, have had a full crash-course in the power of QR codes.

---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes at:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
#5MellowButtersPosted 5/30/2013 11:23:21 AM
you know...you COULD just play less. Have some self control dude. One thing that i hated is the feeling of obligation in this game, luckily this game isn't as punishing as the others if you skip a day or two, cuz i don't do **** i don't wanna do :D. just play this game at your own pace and play whenever you want, if there are measly weed you pick em...if your flowers die, plant more, just chiiiiiiiill -.-
---
3DS FC: 1633-5629-3391
#6Solid2TheSnakePosted 5/30/2013 12:15:10 PM
If you're kind of OCD about those things, yeah I can see how it can be an itch you have to scratch. For Wild World it was those friggin red turnips and keeping my blue hybrid roses from dying.
---
Friend Code: 2320-6678-6610
PSN ID: Solid2TheSnake
#7podracer35Posted 5/30/2013 12:27:17 PM
This is me too. Heck, I'm so close to making myself not buy the game! But then I added so many people to my friends list just for this game, so it'd not feel right to avoid the game at this point.

I guess I'm going to take it as slow as possible and try to limit my playtime as much as possible.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Omec2nI.jpg Bum, bum, buh-da-dum, Ba-dah-dah-dada Iroh man.
3DS Friend Code: 0903-3152-6750
#8DericViiperPosted 5/30/2013 12:33:24 PM
playing this game 1-2 hours a day is addiction?
---
[ Gamertag: Viiper ] [ 3DS: 1977-0177-3689 ] [D3 http://bit.ly/Za6T3A]
Animal Crossing: City Folk [ Das in e 4942-1810-9471 ]
#9JimmieAndrogynyPosted 5/30/2013 1:02:39 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I'll be playing all day, everyday, and love every second of it.

Animal Crossing > Life.
---
http://facebook.com/jimmieandrogyny
Like you I once was. Like me you will be.
#10Lord-neXigramPosted 5/30/2013 1:05:07 PM
Akaimizu posted...

This is likely due to the way the players can also continually add and share content. For me, QR codes are pretty much the most important new feature that people are over-looking. I can't blame them. Outside of Nintendo, nobody else really has made REAL use of QR codes outside of giving people a website link or something.

Nintendo realized how much actual data could be stored in a QR code and noted that actual game content can be stored in there. Which means, in all actuality, one could actually store more custom data for an Animal Crossing game than what has been made for Any MMO out there, so far. Of course, it would take some dedicated groups of people to store hundreds of Gigabytes of user-crafted QR-code content. But it could be there, organized, and ready to import into any copy of ACNL as they like.

Wait a tick, are you saying you can store items on QR codes? For some reason I thought it was just patterns, how does this work?!