This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Grass Deterioration/Animal Tracks

#11jayman87Posted 6/15/2013 12:47:04 AM
This is actually the reason I stopped playing city folk. I just got sick of watching my town going to **** and knowing that the only way to keep it looking pretty was to simply not play. So that's exactly what I did. I stopped playing. If things get that bad on this game then I fear the same thing will happen all over again. Seriously, why bring it back?
#12ArreiPosted 6/15/2013 12:51:15 AM
If I had to guess, it's because they were going for a more "natural" feel. Off-traveled grass gets stamped down and worn in nature, so they wanted something like that here. And dirt paths look pretty frickin' sweet this time around.

But they completely, utterly, botched it in CF. Speaking of not playing, that wouldn't even fix it in City Folk. Your town would be just as ugly as you left it if you ever decided to come back. At least that's different, now.
#13KisaiPosted 6/15/2013 12:53:17 AM
Kurizaka posted...
I have to agree. Making it "less severe" isn't much. I don't see any reason for this feature to have been added/kept in. Players shouldn't be punished for enjoying a game that is about doing what you want!

It's not meant to be a punishment.

Arrei posted...
If I had to guess, it's because they were going for a more "natural" feel. Off-traveled grass gets stamped down and worn in nature, so they wanted something like that here.

And this. If you walk over the same path over and over, the grass wears down.

But at least it's not as bad as it was in City Folk. At this point, after 5 days straight, I'd notice a visible path starting to form. I have yet to see anything noticeable in this game.
---
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
#14ArreiPosted 6/15/2013 12:55:50 AM
I'm actually *trying* to wear down a path right now. I never really liked pattern paths, but with trees, flowers, and the new bushes, I seriously want a spiffy dirt road right now.

But... nothing is happening yet.
#15EHeroHaneKuribo(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 7:03:18 AM
So there's still no actual, solid, way to prevent it rather then cheating and using time travel?

That is so crap...
#16ssj4hieiPosted 6/15/2013 7:06:47 AM(edited)
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...
Anyway, whining over, I know that the grass deterioration has apparently become "less severe" then in City Folk but I've been playing for 3 days, not running at all and have already begun seeing grass deteriorating along the sides of rivers and near bridges already.

Holding the control stick all the way in one direction even without holding L/R/A counts as running. The only way to not run is to hold the control stick halfway.
---
FC: 4828-4164-6233
Alt FC: 3566-2166-5545
#17NicoGrimmPosted 6/15/2013 7:06:34 AM
Does the Beautiful Town ordinance prevent the gras from deteriorating? It says flowers can't be trampled anymore, so I assume that carries over to the grass as well, but I'm not sure.
---
How dare the Gods work against me! I don't remember giving them permission.
#18EHeroHaneKuribo(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 7:15:56 AM
ssj4hiei posted...
Anyway, whining over, I know that the grass deterioration has apparently become "less severe" then in City Folk but I've been playing for 3 days, not running at all and have already begun seeing grass deteriorating along the sides of rivers and near bridges already.

Holding the control stick all the way in one direction even without holding L/R/A counts as running. The only way to not run is to hold the control stick halfway.

I use the control-pad, so is that still running?
#19EHeroHaneKuribo(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 7:16:56 AM
ssj4hiei posted...

I use the control-pad, so is that still running?

Wait. No. I just had a VERY DUMB moment. Pretty embarrassing.

Thank you for your advice, I was unaware of that.
#20KurizakaPosted 6/16/2013 11:15:41 AM
Kisai posted...
Kurizaka posted...
I have to agree. Making it "less severe" isn't much. I don't see any reason for this feature to have been added/kept in. Players shouldn't be punished for enjoying a game that is about doing what you want!

It's not meant to be a punishment.

Arrei posted...
If I had to guess, it's because they were going for a more "natural" feel. Off-traveled grass gets stamped down and worn in nature, so they wanted something like that here.

And this. If you walk over the same path over and over, the grass wears down.

But at least it's not as bad as it was in City Folk. At this point, after 5 days straight, I'd notice a visible path starting to form. I have yet to see anything noticeable in this game.

It may not be meant as a punishment, but it feels that way to me. I never once wished my grass would die off for a "natural" feel in Wild World.