This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nintendo, it shouldn't be this hard to change my skin color in this game

#1NewCastlEmperorPosted 6/17/2013 11:43:44 PM
I am black.

I like to play Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing is a game series based around customization, from your town, to your looks, to the clothes you wear, to your villagers, to even - in the latest iteration - town rules and laws.

At the beginning of the game it's pretty easy to become a boy or girl. But here I am, 60+ hours into New Leaf, and I still don't have dark skin. Why can I not easily customize my skin color in a game that is seemingly about what YOU like and customization is at the forefront?

In order to get dark skin, you have to get a tan. Yes, a tan. But that only works in summer months (July to September). But it isn't summer currently in ACNL because it's June. Thankfully, there's an unlockable island that is summer time year all year long. Go to the island and you'll get a tan.

For the past week since I unlocked the island around last Wednesday, I've been going to the island EVERY DAY and during work hours, I leave my 3ds on and have my character sit idle while she tans. I've been doing this since Wednesday and my character still has a light tan and still looks clearly white, or East Asian, whatever. Today I had to do some errands so I left my 3ds at work, idle. Things took three hours longer than it was supposed so I got back and my 3ds battery was dead, making me lose my progress.

I'm not pissed about losing progress, though I am clearly annoyed, what I'm annoyed at is that I have to bend over backwards and do stupid asinine crap just to look like how I look in real life. Everything else in Animal Crossing is customizable, why can't I just simply buy a mirror from Nooklings and customize my appearance? Nintendo it isn't this hard.
#2NessEggmanPosted 6/17/2013 11:47:16 PM
I have a beard and wear glasses. At the same time. So I get you.

But I can kinda understand the limitation of not having beards and glasses since they classify them as the same type of accessory.

But not having a skin tone option when you start the game is ridiculous. Any other games where you can customize your character will give you this option.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
#3ThadBarrPosted 6/17/2013 11:47:38 PM
You can always get a Mii Mask. Slightly later into the game.
#4NewCastlEmperor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 11:49:18 PM
ThadBarr posted...

It doesn't allow me to wear hats.
#5NanaboboPosted 6/17/2013 11:56:07 PM
Completely agree. Especially since Pokemon is finally allowing for more skintone customization- I don't get why Animal Crossing is so difficult when it comes to this one specific aspect. I can change my hair, eye color, pants, shirt, hat... Heck, I can even wear a dress as a guy if I want to! But I can't be black. :/
---
White FC: 1034 0534 2444
#6the_NGWPosted 6/17/2013 11:56:49 PM
NewCastlEmperor posted...
ThadBarr posted...

Picky picky.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0344-9443-2457
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
#7ThadBarrPosted 6/17/2013 11:57:13 PM
NewCastlEmperor posted...

True, but I had to get the Mii Mask option out there before we went any further with this.

I like your idea about buying a mirror, and having the mirror open skin tone options up. That's the best concept I've heard yet. Or maybe Shampoodle could add an industrial-strength tanning booth.

But Nintendo is a Japanese company, and Japan just doesn't have a whole lot of black people living there, and they don't really seem to care about the subject.

You should email them. Email Nintendo of America, then email the Nintendo mothership in Japan.

Jynx really was some sort of black parody thingamajig at the beginning. After people in the states called it for what it for what it was, they quick changed her color scheme from black to purple. Not much of a change, but a change nonetheless.

So email them, write them, and/or call them. Good luck.
#8the_NGWPosted 6/17/2013 11:59:30 PM
ThadBarr posted...
Jynx really was some sort of black parody thingamajig at the beginning.

Not this again...
---
3DS Friend Code: 0344-9443-2457
"Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"
#9ss4gogeta_darkPosted 6/18/2013 12:01:49 AM
Why is it you expect to be black in a game where no one is white? Your character is Japanese OP, not white, not black, no Latin, JAPANESE.

I don't see what the big deal is.
---
FX 8150 @ 4.3ghz|MSI 7970 Lightning 1200/1600|MSI 990fxa-gd80|G.skill 1866mhz| W7Ux64
FCs in contacts.
#10ArreiPosted 6/18/2013 12:03:30 AM
In what world do Japanese people look like our little Animal Crossers?

If anything, our avatars just simply don't belong to any race at all.
---
3DS friend code: 1977-0588-7595