This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Island Fish/Beetle Farming Mini-Guide

#1ac_helperPosted 7/9/2013 11:26:50 AM
Hello and welcome! For all you first timers to Animal Crossing, and even the old-timers, you may be overwhelmed by the massive amount of bells it takes to fund your Projects as well as the mansion of your dreams.

You've decided not to stuff your storage, museum exhibits, or town with turnips every week, so what else is there to make bells to fund your new side room, or that new bridge you wanted? Well, what about that island you visit every day?

If you leave out the bottom door of the island hut, you'll find a small beach with palm trees surrounding a small grassy space filled with trees, flowers, and shrubs. Beautiful, isn't it? For NOW, anyway! But you need bells, and need them yesterday! So let's get to work!

First of all, borrow the shovel and axe from the rental gyroid.

Let's start with the middle of the island. Cut down all the trees there; you can pick up any fruit and sell to Leila, put them on the grass/beach, or toss in the send home box. The fruit can be any one of the island fruits: Lemons, Lychees, Mangoes, or Durians.

-Dig up the tree stumps with the shovel.

-Dig up the shrubs with the shovel. If you want more later, wait until the island sells some Hibiscus seedlings, then buy those and leave them on the grass/beach until you want to re-plant.

-Pick up all the flowers. Sell, or send them home.

Now you should have a totally bare grassy area. This means no tree beetles/bugs, no shrub bugs, no flower bugs, and no butterflies will spawn. You will still get grass bugs, like grasshoppers, until 5 PM, and locusts until 7 PM.

Now it's time to focus on the coconut or banana palms on the sand.

-Cut down the palm trees on/near the bottom area of your beach; the beetles that spawn on these trees are nearly impossible to creep up on. Leave about 2-4 palm trees per side. Again, leave the fruit, sell it, or take it home.

Now there will only be 4-8 palm trees for the expensive beetles to spawn on.

The best time for beetle farming is from 5 PM-11 PM nightly; I prefer after 7 PM because the locusts won't appear. My tip: walk slowly around the beach, and when you see a palm tree beetle, hold "A" to creep near it as soon as you see it! For the more skittish beetles, creep a couple of steps, then stop. Creep and stop until you are in a good position to swing your net and let 'er rip!

The only other insects you may see are:

-Long & Migratory Locusts (on the grass, until 7 PM) - catch & release or scare away
-Wharf Roach (on the beach) - slap your net at them and scare them away
-Tiger Beetle (on the grass) - same as the roaches
-Hermit Crab (on the sand near the waterline) - chase into the water

Palm tree beetles that you'll see are as follows:

-Golden Stag (worth 12k) - small golden beetles that look almost black. If you see them, STOP immediately, then do the creep, stop technique until within range.
-Horned Hercules (worth 12k) - for these large gold and black beetles, follow the tips for the Golden Stag

-Horned Atlas (worth 8k) - this is large and black
-Horned Elephant (worth 8k) - this is large and brownish
-Cyclommatus Stag (worth 8k) - the skinniest of the palm tree beetles, with large pincers

-Goliath Beetle (Horned Goliath?) (worth 6k) - large and reddish, and the cheapest of the palm tree beetles. Your choice to keep or scare away.

Fishing: No, I haven't forgotten about the great fish you can catch here. The list:

Very large fish, or those slightly larger & slimmer than a sea bass (no fin), are:
-Napoleonfish and Blue Marlin (both worth 10k each)
-Ray, Moray Eel, & Giant Trevally can all be released

Finned Fish:

-Shark (worth 15k)
-Whale Shark (worth 13k)
-Saw Shark (worth 12k)
-Hammerhead Shark (worth 8k)

-Ocean Sunfish (worth 4k) - release!

Make the most of your island!
---
Currently playing:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
#2ac_helper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 11:28:52 AM
Optional: each time you go to the island, collect the shells and toss them in the grass to stop locusts from spawning, or position them around the shoreline to stop Hermit crabs from spawning. I have not tried either of these, so do not know if it works.
---
Currently playing:
#3ZanderKaboosePosted 7/9/2013 11:41:07 AM
I find that by only having four palm trees, I can just walk at the very south of the island, back and forth, and see if a beetle has spawned. On average, it takes me about 15-20 mins to fill up my "go home" box.

The only time I stray from the bottom is if I see a fin above water.

But oooooooo!!! If putting shells everywhere prevents wharf roaches/tiger beetles... this is great news!!
---
See my opinion is superior because I refuted your statement without actually arguing anything. ~JDM_Jev
#4ac_helper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 11:50:32 AM
ZanderKaboose posted...
I find that by only having four palm trees, I can just walk at the very south of the island, back and forth, and see if a beetle has spawned. On average, it takes me about 15-20 mins to fill up my "go home" box.

The only time I stray from the bottom is if I see a fin above water.

But oooooooo!!! If putting shells everywhere prevents wharf roaches/tiger beetles... this is great news!!

I have 8 palm trees, and go around the island to make sure I don't miss any large shadows in the water. While it does take a little longer, I find I get more fish along with my beetles this way.

As for the shells, I kept selling mine to Leila until I realized I could leave them on the grass or on the beach.

Another optional grass thing: take the shovel and dig holes in the grass to stop ANY spawning of locusts (but you only need to do this if you are there between 5 and 7 PM). I don't like doing it anymore because I have to do it EVERY time I go there.
---
Currently playing:
#5CrystalLinkPosted 7/9/2013 11:57:04 AM
A bit of info to add:

Digging a hole directly in front of each tree gives you a perfect distance check for catching Golden Stags. As long as you're creeping when you approach the hole, its impossible to get too close and scare them away.

I also have some pictures of my island if you'd like to edit my tumblr in.
---
3DS: 3995-6826-7258
http://hylianzero.tumblr.com/ <- Animal Crossing Picture Blog
#6ac_helper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 12:14:39 PM
CrystalLink posted...
A bit of info to add:

Digging a hole directly in front of each tree gives you a perfect distance check for catching Golden Stags. As long as you're creeping when you approach the hole, its impossible to get too close and scare them away.

Thanks for that info. I sometimes use the lines in the sand to judge when to swing. Although it's not entirely true that if you're creeping you can't scare anything away. I have. But there's different creeping speeds. If you push all the way up and creep fast, you can scare away bugs. If you don't push up as much, and stop here and there, I find it works better.

Sure, CrystalLink, you can post your tumblr if you like. :)
---
Currently playing:
#7CrystalLinkPosted 7/9/2013 12:16:25 PM
ac_helper posted...
CrystalLink posted...
A bit of info to add:

Thanks for that info. I sometimes use the lines in the sand to judge when to swing. Although it's not entirely true that if you're creeping you can't scare anything away. I have. But there's different creeping speeds. If you push all the way up and creep fast, you can scare away bugs. If you don't push up as much, and stop here and there, I find it works better.

Well, my tumblr is in my sig.

And the hole method is literally perfect for the creeping. Try it out tonight, just dig all the holes first and then start hunting. It makes Golden Stags laughably easy to catch.
---
3DS: 3995-6826-7258
http://hylianzero.tumblr.com/ <- Animal Crossing Picture Blog
#8ac_helper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 12:23:52 PM
Thanks for theCrystalLink posted...
ac_helper posted...
CrystalLink posted...
A bit of info to add:

Well, my tumblr is in my sig.

And the hole method is literally perfect for the creeping. Try it out tonight, just dig all the holes first and then start hunting. It makes Golden Stags laughably easy to catch.

Oops, shows how much I pay attention to sigs. :/
Nice blog. I see you are going for the Sleek Series too. I did, until I saw how awful the carpet/wall is. UGH! Now I'm going for Blue, and am re-doing it all with ores. Looks beautiful!

As for the Golden Stags, I don't having a problem catching them. I have a problem with doing something else at the same time, not paying close attention, and scaring them away because I'm walking too fast!
---
Currently playing:
#9PyromobsterPosted 7/9/2013 12:37:14 PM
How about some pics of your island TC?
---
"Oops, right?" - Tess
3DS FC: 1676 3758 4854
#10ac_helper(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2013 12:46:48 PM
Pyromobster posted...
How about some pics of your island TC?

Oh I did forget about that, didn't I? Oops...
They're still sitting on my SD card. Am feeling too lazy to pull it out and put them on the computer. Bah! This heat melted my brain...will try to get them today, later on.
---
Currently playing: