This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

WTF Grass Erosion?!

#1The_KiriyamaPosted 7/14/2013 2:51:56 AM
So I play this game every day, for an hour or so, at least. I do the regular stuff, collect items, walk about a bit. But I mean, I have paths set down, I have the beautiful town ordinance, I water the flowers (esp the ones I placed over the dead ground), and I try not to walk on those areas, even when I do I walk at a crawl. Yet my grass is still dying/not re-growing.

WTF?! Am I doing something wrong regardless? I feel like AC:NL is takin' the piss a bit with this one, I know the previous game took a long time to heal grass erosion but I mean, I figured if I was careful and attentive I could have pretty natural areas in my town, but apparently not. Has anyone else had similar experiences?
---
FC: 2680-9747-1171
GamerTag: TheKiriyama
#2BMO_Posted 7/14/2013 2:56:09 AM
The areas that were already dirt patches when you started the game never grow back. Ever. It takes about a week or two for grass to come back in areas where you caused it.
---
3DS: 1203-9245-7171
PSN: FierceDeityBMO
#3The_Kiriyama(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 3:05:45 AM
Never grow back? Ah christ, that's dumb. Maybe I can hide it a bit by covering it with flowers.
---
#4Sandor_ClausePosted 7/14/2013 3:47:19 AM
There were dirt patches in the pre-City Folk games. Of course, they were a lot less ugly, and seeing as this game actually has a grass growth mechanic, it makes no sense to not let you grow grass on the dirt.

Yeah, whoever thought of grass erosion should be shot.
---
3DS: 5300 8777 2568
#5The_Kiriyama(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 3:50:27 AM
Sandor_Clause posted...
Yeah, whoever thought of grass erosion should be shot.

Ah, I dunno. I think it's a good mechanic, poorly executed. It's grass. That in itself implies you should be able to plant new grass seed, and maintain it if you want to. Maybe even cut it, if it continues to grow to a certain point. Plus generally speaking, grass doesn't erode like it does in AC, even if you walk on it. But whatevs. Like I say, I think it's a good idea, but the actual mechanics need a fair bit of work.
---
#6Sandor_ClausePosted 7/14/2013 4:30:12 AM
AC is quite possibly one of the most unrealistic games on the market. It's extremely stupid to say that "X makes sense because it's like that in reality".

Almost as stupid as grass erosion in a game where a major draw is making your town look nice.
---
#7The_Kiriyama(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 4:34:30 AM
Sandor_Clause posted...
AC is quite possibly one of the most unrealistic games on the market. It's extremely stupid to say that "X makes sense because it's like that in reality".

Almost as stupid as grass erosion in a game where a major draw is making your town look nice.

I disagree. To have a level of realism in a game can be quite important. Regardless of the game's overall comparison to real life. A lot of people will tell you how 'real' Battlefield can be. But even that game has such great moments as getting shot to pieces and medically healed from bullet wounds by getting de-fibrillated. That doesn't however mean, that it's other more realistic elements shouldn't be applied.

I think grass erosion is good, it gives you something to work against, so that you're not just getting the game to a certain state and then leaving it for good. There should be things that keep you coming back, and grass erosion is a good example of that. I just feel it's handled poorly. If the game's major draw is to make your town look nice, it would be a bit more boring if they gave you everything and said 'make your town look nice' without any challenge, effort or upkeep.
---
#8elsmittyPosted 7/14/2013 4:47:23 AM
ummm where do you think the animals pee?
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
steam profile - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077085301/
#9The_Kiriyama(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2013 4:50:19 AM
elsmitty posted...
ummm where do you think the animals pee?

I think they use my villagers house that has like 4 large fish tanks in.
---
#10Sandor_ClausePosted 7/14/2013 4:50:59 AM
Oh, you're just the kind of person that doesn't understand the difference between good challenge and bad challenge.

How to work against grass erosion:
1. Don't play
2. Move at a snail's pace every time you move on the normal ground (unconfirmed)

And that's it. You can speed up the regrowth slightly with flowers, but that won't help anyway if it's an area you walk on.

Saying that this is good because "it adds challenge" is like saying that games should randomly reset or delete your data "because it makes them harder to finish, thus making them more challenging".

Challenging is not a synonym for good. A game with bad mechanics isn't better just because the bad mechanics make it annoying to play.

You know what else would make it harder to get a good town? If any space with a buried item lost all its grass when you dug it up. If bushes would randomly get attacked by bugs and die. If your villagers went out of their way to dig up grassy tiles. If the river could flood and destroy everything in about half the town.

Those ideas would all make the gamer more "challenging". They are also extremely bad ideas.
---