This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I want to have a haunted house

#1ExternicaPosted 7/16/2013 8:55:40 AM
Being a fan of stories about haunted houses (Hill House in particular) I decided to make myself a mansion with some... how do you say in english? Refined? (I'm german).
Well, let's go with that.
Anyway, I wanted to go with some refined furniture and a creepy atmosphere. My main problem is, that there doesn't seem to be much furniture qualifying. There's the Rococo-Series, I already got the full series and most of the Classic series. Cyruss even allowed me to change the furniture's colour to a darker look and a kind user even gave me an organ. (Thank you!)
Of course, there's also the regal series. But this series looks a bit too frilly. Currently, I put my only regal furniture at Cyruss to see what looks are possible. So I'm not even sure if the regal series is what I'm looking for.
Anyway, but even then, I only have three "occupied" rooms, in case I do go for regal and I'd love to get some suggestions.

First of all, Creepy and Spooky are out. One is pumpkin themed and not fitting and the other, while I like it (coffins for wardrobes!) is a bit over the top. Maybe I'll use it if everything fails, but it's still a long way until Halloween.

Currently, I've got plenty of minimalistic furniture. I changed the colour to grey and it doesn't look too bad. So I'm using it for my east wing. Also put some Retro-Items inside. I clashes a bit, but it'll have to do for now.
But what else is there I could use? Currently, I'm even thinking of doing a kiddy room (got plenty of those in my catalogue) with KK Dirge playing. But I'm not happy with that idea, as Dirge makes even the most happiest house creepy.
I believe Gracie will sell some fitting furniture... Georgeous and Princess I believe. Anyone knows if this series can be alered at Cyruss's? Well, Georgeous already is dark, so I'm more worried about princess...
And even then, I havn't seen all series so far or themed items.

For those who are curious about what I did so far, my dream code is: 7000-2175-5573
It's the black castle. Duh!
Main Room is Rococo, back room classic and east wing minimalist. West Wing is currently a garbage room, with some fake statues (I'll put them inside the other rooms at some time, probably. I'm lazy.) and upstairs is the very fitting mermaid-series. *sarcasm*
Obviously, I'm going to redecorate upstairs once I've got something fitting.

But as I said, any suggestions and hints are welcome.
#2nintendoggerPosted 7/16/2013 9:12:37 AM
You're welcome for the Organ. :)

I think it's a good idea to keep in mind that less is usually more. If I were you I would get the gorgeous theme (or at least part of it) which is a GracieGrace Winter theme. You already have a lot of the essentials to make it work too.

I think you should put the rococo candlestick all over as the lighting for your walls for a more dramatic effect. I would also see if you can't figure out some kind of story element to add to the house to really give it that haunted feel. Perhaps an empty baby nursery? A clock room (always creepy in my opinion) or perhaps something like Rich's house, a gyroid cult meeting room.
---
Currently playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf
#3CassieWonPosted 7/16/2013 9:23:42 AM
Rococo goes okay, but yours seemed a bit purpley-pink, which isn't a massively creepy colour. I thought the basement was your creepiest room, but as you said you just need the right furniture.

I thought your other house's exterior was funny in relation to yours also.
---
1349-5321-0512
#4tiopuitPosted 7/16/2013 9:28:27 AM
CassieWon posted...
Rococo goes okay, but yours seemed a bit purpley-pink, which isn't a massively creepy colour. I thought the basement was your creepiest room, but as you said you just need the right furniture.

I thought your other house's exterior was funny in relation to yours also.

you could get the gothic redesign on it though make it real dark and ominous
---
3ds FC: 2105 8643 4449
#5KefkaesqueXIIIPosted 7/16/2013 9:36:38 AM
I not sure if this will fit your aesthetic or not, but I have been building a mad scientist lab in my basement. At the moment, all I have is the Lab Bench (the bed), the Lab Floor, and 4 lava lamps (2 blue, 2 green to create mood lighting, though you can get by with fewer if you want to make it darker).

I've currently have the bed in the middle of the room with a lamp at each corner, and it makes for a kind of "techno-ritual" effect.

If you added some choice gyroids, a couple coffins against the walls, maybe a metroid or two, I think it could really pull off the creepy vibe.
---
"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps." Michael Carpenter - Death Masks
Official Norn of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#6PokegirlPosted 7/16/2013 9:42:45 AM
You could always make a toy room, with things like the matryoshka, one of the sets of bear families, dollies, etc.
Never underestimate the power of a creepy room full of toys.
---
How does one go about keeping faith in humanity? I keep losing mine....
Black 2 FC: 4513-9150-7298 3DS FC:5172-0461-6925 ACDA:5100-2293-0751
#7Externica(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 9:49:17 AM
CassieWon posted...
Rococo goes okay, but yours seemed a bit purpley-pink, which isn't a massively creepy colour.

Well, I went for, as the german translation goes, Rococo-Schwarz which turned the furniture into this purple design. And I'm quite okay with it. Of course, it'll be better if the wallpaper would be a bit darker, too.
I do get your point, I was a bit bummed how this redesign turned out.
The other variations in the german translation are Rokoko-Gelb (yellow) and Rokoko-Weiß (White).
Andm, well, the Yellow one seems to give it a skyblue pattern. Havn't seen the yellow one yet.
For reference, the current design is called Rokoko-Schwarz (Black) in the german translation.

Well, but as the poster above me said, I go for the Gothic Redesign. I do hope it's the yellow one, as the regular design is too tame for my taste.
And I need to put my lucky cat to somewhere else.

And I have a basement?
*dramatic pause*
... oh right, I do! Still need to pay the debt. Silly me.

nintendogger posted...

I think you should put the rococo candlestick all over as the lighting for your walls for a more dramatic effect. I would also see if you can't figure out some kind of story element to add to the house to really give it that haunted feel. Perhaps an empty baby nursery? A clock room (always creepy in my opinion) or perhaps something like Rich's house, a gyroid cult meeting room.

The Candlesticks are a GREAT idea. I just ordered seven more, so I can put two on each wall. That way, I can take one Candlestick (or two) and see how well the other colours will fit to my intentions.
As for the story, I do have the craddle. It would fit with the lovles series. (Wanted to get it for my second character anyway) and I also believe to have seen lovley-items in black.
The catch are floor and wall, but the Designer Wall and Carpet will do just right.
But honestly, I'm not seeking to tell a story. I just want a creepy vibe. Then again, writing stories is my hobby. Let's just hope I can put my furniture just right.
I still need to clean up my rooms. The Classic Room is a mess (you all have seen it, I suppose). The main room was redecorated just recently, but okay. The only one that looks clean is upstairs.
And the clock room's a good idea, too. I even have an idea how to decoraste it. All I need are clocks. Best those grandfather clocks. With the creepy clock as the center of attention... hm... that sounds fine. Thank you!
#8Externica(Topic Creator)Posted 7/16/2013 10:03:26 AM
KefkaesqueXIII posted...
I not sure if this will fit your aesthetic or not.

Well, you can visit my Dreamtown and see for yourself, if this would fit my aesthetics.
I thought of the laboratory-set myself.
Even the hospital set, as I have a little bit of both. But, as I said, I want a haunted house. Not a haunted hospital or a mad scientist laboratory.
Though a mannequin dressed up as a nurse... I currently only have the nurse hat, though.
Also, the lab or hospital both aren't exactly the vibe I'm looking for.
Creepy? Well handled, no doubt.

Pokegirl posted...
You could always make a toy room, with things like the matryoshka, one of the sets of bear families, dollies, etc.
Never underestimate the power of a creepy room full of toys.

As I said in my opening topic. Kiddy Series + KK Dirge. A cheerful room with toys, with unfitting music. But Dirge makes everything creepy, even the most happiest house of Happyville. And sadly, I don't find toys or dolls to be very creepy. :/
But I'll keep this in mind. As long as I can creep out potential visitors, I won't care how. And some creepy toys are closer to my intentions, than a hospital or mad lab.
#9Externica(Topic Creator)Posted 7/17/2013 9:56:21 AM
Thanks to your kind suggestions I have now a basic idea on what to do.
First of all, I refurbished my classic bed a little and took advantage of the creepy doll idea. Other than that, the backroom has its furniture switched around. The japanese doll set clashes a bit with the classic theme, but I received some positive reception.
I intended to make this room look a bit different, but I'm lacking fitting dolls and those were the only dolls I have so far. ^^"
I like it, though.

The main room has its furniture switched around, too. I can also confirm that all Rococo-Furniture are refurbished into Gothic Black which is, sadly, dark violet.
The other colours didn't met my intentions.
Considered rearrange the room, so that the bed is in the mittle, surrounded by the lucky cats.

My basement has been decorated a little, too. I'm considering playing the lullaby down there. I'm also bummed the layout didn't worked out as I hoped it would. You can't place the winged statue right in front of the object. So I need the same item twice.
Also, the floor doesn't match the wall. At all. And I already took the most fitting floor I have in my catalogue.
And I'll add some rococo candles in the near future.

Upstairs hasn't changed at all and is still the very fitting and terriyfying mermaid themed. *sarcasm*
West Wing is still the garbage room.
East wing has still minimalistic furniture and the lucky cats moved there.

Also, I'm currently aiming for 150000 points for my house, so I probably won't change the east wing just yet. A mind user let me catalogue the spooky series. I do hope I can refurbish this series. But it'll only stay until I have 150000 points, probably. It won't be there until tomorrow.
Considering turning teh other room into the clock room. I have a very nice idea. But I need more clocks.
Also, I think I need some creepy items and a second fake of the winged statue. I'll check the trading board soon enough.

I did updated my Dreamtown. If you're curious, have some suggestions or anything, feel free to visit. The Number is in my opening post.
It's still. the big, black castle that I want to be haunted. Playing with the idea to make the other house creepy, too and adding an abandoned hospital as a third character.