This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Frustration with working at the cafe

#1EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 7/21/2013 3:26:54 AM
I don't want to cheat in this game, so I want to learnt he preferences of my villiagers legitimately, not by looking it up, but the game is being incredibly frustrating.
No matter who comes in they always ask for "the usual", they NEVER give me a single hint. I remember the first couple of times they'd at least give me 1 ingredient, but I now only get that from foreign villagers and (sometimes) NPCs. Why have they stopped actually doing anything but ask for "the usual". I'm not exaggerating when I say its been about a week since I got any other request from my villagers.
#2ACmaster37Posted 7/21/2013 3:37:31 AM(edited)
Don't bother, just use the help, if you want the items from Brewster, that is.
Even with getting 100% correct answers every time, it still takes at least a couple weeks until Brewster gives all the items. I have a text-file on my PC with each of my villager's preferences, for quick access.
ctrl-F on the FAQ to see what the occasional stranger likes.
#3hellokittygirl1Posted 7/21/2013 3:39:39 AM
It's pretty frustrating, I've been having similar issues. I just made a spreadsheet for everyone that comes in and I'm using the process of elimination for the ones that don't hint. I still seem to get one villager from my town or a re-occuring special character every day though.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3368-1648-7922 Leah
Dream Code: 6900-2332-8545
#4hellokittygirl1Posted 7/21/2013 3:41:05 AM
ACmaster37 posted...
Even with getting 100% correct answers every time, it still takes at least a couple weeks until Brewster gives all the items. I have a text-file on my PC with each of my villager's preferences, for quick access.

They already said they don't want to cheat..
---
3DS Friend Code: 3368-1648-7922 Leah
Dream Code: 6900-2332-8545
#5Ansem_the_evilPosted 7/21/2013 4:03:06 AM
Eventuall villagers not living in your vilage will appear good luck trying to remember 300+ villagers wanted coffe without a guides help
---
My 3DS FC: 1332-7692-1950
#6ShiitakeWarriorPosted 7/21/2013 4:32:30 AM(edited)
One important thing to remember about serving coffee to villagers is that the milk-to-sugar ratio is ALWAYS EVEN! (e.g. If a villager wants "the regular amount" of milk, which is always 2 units, the amount of sugar added should be 2 spoonfuls. So, naturally, if a villager says they want no sugar, then that also means you shouldn't add any milk either.)

Special characters (i.e. non-villagers, like Shrunk, Pete, etc.) are the exception to this rule, as they have their own requirements of which the milk-to-sugar ratios can vary. You'll definitely want a list to refer to for those.

http://www.thonky.com/animal-crossing-new-leaf/the-roost-cafe/
---
"Don't eat me. You won't like me if you eat me."
#7dietotakuPosted 7/21/2013 4:55:49 AM
hellokittygirl1 posted...
ACmaster37 posted...

They already said they don't want to cheat..

his point was that OP shouldn't regard it as cheating, because it would probably take years to randomly guess the preferences of every character who could possibly come in, to say nothing of actually remembering them all. is it cheating to use a study guide to study for a test? is it cheating to research information for a paper you're writing?
---
FC: 1204-0601-6275
#8EHeroHaneKuribo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 5:18:56 AM
I don't care about the villagers visiting from other towns, usually they tell me 2 things and I can take it from there, it's just that game makes it impossible/incredibly time consuming to work out what the villagers preference is when all they say is "can I have the usual" or "give me what I always have" every single time. I know when they're sitting at the cafe they'll tell you one thing they like, but that's pretty rare and they'll only say one of the three preferences.
But yeah, I do think looking it up is cheating. The game obviously wants you to work it out for yourself, I just find the fact that for at least 4 days in a row not a single animal has given me a clue is really annoying.
#9The_KiriyamaPosted 7/21/2013 5:22:33 AM
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...
I know when they're sitting at the cafe they'll tell you one thing they like, but that's pretty rare and they'll only say one of the three preferences.

Process of elimination. I use the 'notes' function by pressing the 'Home' button and I write down what they liked, what they disliked, etc. That way, it narrows it down very quickly and then I dont need to remember anything, but still feel like I earned the knowledge of their personal tastes in a short amount of time. I have it down now so that more often than not, someone comes in, and I can pause and check their order, and give it to them, without ever having looked it up and gotten the answer online. Give it a try, if possible.
---
FC: 2680-9747-1171
GamerTag: TheKiriyama
#10EHeroHaneKuribo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2013 5:26:17 AM
The_Kiriyama posted...
EHeroHaneKuribo posted...
I know when they're sitting at the cafe they'll tell you one thing they like, but that's pretty rare and they'll only say one of the three preferences.

Process of elimination. I use the 'notes' function by pressing the 'Home' button and I write down what they liked, what they disliked, etc. That way, it narrows it down very quickly and then I dont need to remember anything, but still feel like I earned the knowledge of their personal tastes in a short amount of time. I have it down now so that more often than not, someone comes in, and I can pause and check their order, and give it to them, without ever having looked it up and gotten the answer online. Give it a try, if possible.

Yep, that's what I've been doing but frustratingly I've only worked out 2/10 villagers and about 3 Special Characters.