This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How I got my wife into gaming

#1rbm816Posted 7/31/2013 4:23:02 PM
I have been trying for years to get my wife to like video games..... I didn't realize it only took this game to do it. If you have a girlfriend/wife who just doesn't like games.....this is the best way to get her into it. My wife is addicted to this, probably because it doesn't require the hand eye coordination of a game like halo(my wife couldn't figure out how to not hump the wall).
---
Starting a podcast on Video games/Anime/Movies/Comics, your support and ideas for topics can be submitted at https://twitter.com/WeRClosetNerds Please Follow!
#2SparklelordPosted 7/31/2013 4:27:22 PM
Animal crossing isn't really an orthodox game. Hardly a game at all.
Its more like a village simulator. It has more in common in farmville than Halo.

Still a fun little piece of entertainment media.
---
"It's amazing how unconscious I actually am." -Gulliver
http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/bloodyguy.png
#3Elemental FusionPosted 7/31/2013 4:28:26 PM
Careful kids, AC is a gateway game.
---
"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for. Not unless you first break his spirit. That's a beautiful thing to see."
#4rbm816(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 4:34:21 PM
Sparklelord posted...
Animal crossing isn't really an orthodox game. Hardly a game at all.
Its more like a village simulator. It has more in common in farmville than Halo.

Still a fun little piece of entertainment media.

True but none the less my wife now understands why at 3 in the morning I am still awake playing games waking her up. Last night I woke up at 3:30AM because she was screaming at her 3DS because one of her neighbors moved away........ I told her "now you know I how I feel when I die playing dark souls!"
---
Starting a podcast on Video games/Anime/Movies/Comics, your support and ideas for topics can be submitted at https://twitter.com/WeRClosetNerds Please Follow!
#5killbot357Posted 7/31/2013 4:39:10 PM
I'd say it's likelier she likes it because (generally speaking) women prefer puzzle and simulation games rather than games where you shoot dudes and teabag corpses.
---
XBOX GT: illbzo1 3DS FC: 2750 - 2544 - 5832
Currently playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Shadowrun Returns, Persona 4: Golden
#6rbm816(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 4:46:25 PM
killbot357 posted...
I'd say it's likelier she likes it because (generally speaking) women prefer puzzle and simulation games rather than games where you shoot dudes and teabag corpses.

Well I didn't go in detail. I bought kinect, the wii, the wii u, playstaion move..... and bought a bunch of games that I thought we could get into like rockband, kinectsports, nintendo land, new supermario bros U, dance central, little big planet, mario kart, etc..... Nothing would really get her into it. Now i'm all like "lets go to bar", "Lets go to universal studios", "lets watch true blood", and she responds with "I can't, I have to raise funds for the town bench" lol.
---
#7ShadowRisaePosted 7/31/2013 4:47:31 PM
killbot357 posted...

I don't know. I think it's a combination of that and what TC said. Halo is a hard first video game to play, since it requires using a lot of the buttons on the Xbox controller. Gamers don't realize it because they're used to it, but some video games are way more complicated than driving a car (automatic).

Granted, I was like 5 or something at the time, but my first video game was Super Mario Bros on the NES. I remember it feeling hard to even consistently jump over pits. But I somehow found it more fun than frustrating at the time, so even though it took practice back then to even beat World 1-1, I still played.
---
Too many games, not enough free time.
#8JohnNilesPosted 7/31/2013 5:18:47 PM
Your honey-do list will have you grinding beetles for hours. o.o

But seriously, it's cool when couples can play together like that. Just try not to swap unwanted villagers with each other.
---
3DS FC: 3153-3823-5984
Animal Crossing: Shion/Celadon
#9Leaf2049Posted 7/31/2013 5:21:23 PM
Well pokemon got my fiance into gaming a tiny bit. This game she just started a character in my...well our town :) Tomorrow she will be able to go to the island ^^
---
God is there in the midst of chaos. When life is upside down remember that you're in the hands of the Creator.
Official Metatron of SMT IV
#10dietotakuPosted 7/31/2013 5:23:23 PM
you didn't get your wife into gaming. you got your wife into animal crossing. you got her into a game. speaking as such a wife myself, i would not hold your breath on her playing any other video games just because she likes this one.
---
FC: 1204-0601-6275