This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pros and cons of making an alternate character

#1WitchBaby4200Posted 10/1/2013 8:25:00 AM
AC fan since the beginning. I've never once made an alternate character. This is the first game in the series where I'm contemplating doing so. There is just so much stuff I want and not enough room to put it in, even with the 4 rooms in the museum. I'm tempted to do an overhaul and redo some rooms, but even then that leaves me with filling up some postal space. This game really encourages Hoarding....or Collecting.... Probably just Hoarding. Anyway, in your opinion what are the pros and cons of having more than one character? I know that some people make alternates based on their theme. My town doesn't really have a theme. Just nice paths and decorations. Though with Halloween around the corner I'm tempted to make an alt with a house that changes per each holiday. But then I feel like another character would take up space in my town.... And just... aaaargh! Too many possibilities and decisions! Lol. FirstworldACproblems....
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
AC:NL: Town: Repaupo, Mayor: Stoochy, Dream Address: 5600-2142-2397
#2glitchunter75Posted 10/1/2013 8:38:28 AM
You have an extra 180 storage spots for each alt, and you have their houses with themes that might not fit in your main house. You can get more one-per-char event items and more K.K. Saturday requests.

I also did a thing and made up a story explaining my alt's origin and relation to my main, all within an adventure story! I Swapnote new iterations of it to my friends. Very fun!

Cons, are that to expand alt houses, you need more bells, and you'd also need to remember to play as them, but all in all, go ahead and make one!
---
Legendary Pokemon: Breaking balls in their sleep since 1998.
Official Shiny Victini of all Pokemon boards.
#3MysterMaskPosted 10/1/2013 8:57:50 AM
One pro is that you don't get spot items sell at Nooklings unless you have two characters.
I'm not sure why they kept this silly game feature.
---
Myster Mask (aka Darkwing Duck) @ mediatonicgames.com
The Elitist Bastards Inc.
~ board 548
#4Lostpwr3Posted 10/1/2013 9:03:42 AM(edited)
^pretty much what they said. Though I tend to get confused sometimes when playing either my main or alt character. Especially if one of my animal villagers want to visit my house or me to theirs. Almost did this the other day! Guess you can say that is one of my cons to having an alt. But then again I do have somewhat of a theme going on (mostly just the houses).

Oh, Witchbaby I just made a Sailor Venus outfit a while ago (sent a pic of it on SwapNote). Will be uploaded soon. And I just realized I didn't make one for Sailor Moon (silly me ^_-)! Hope you likey. ^_^
---
3DS FC: 5284-2456-0819 (star)MoonGurl(star)
AC:NL Dream Address:4900-2167-5517
#5RaisinBizzlePosted 10/1/2013 9:12:58 AM
I was contemplating this, but I'm already at 200 hours of play time and adding a new character would add a lot more time unless I just use them solely for the initial added inventory and dont worry about playing as them too often.
---
3DS friend code: 1075-0729-0396
Currently Playing: Othello, Dominos, Chinese Checkers
#6AkaimizuPosted 10/1/2013 9:23:21 AM
Too many pros to list. The only con is the one you already know, managing two characters instead of one. It just means you're inviting a bit more work into your schedule, but that also means more play.

I'll list one pro many might not mention. Villager talk. Always interesting to see brand new dialogue appear based on other characters they meet. You'll get to hear the rumors and such about your other characters as you play. They are also generally, on point. Every villager keeps a track record of what kind of reputation they collected of you, when you last met. So it's often pretty current stuff.

Some of the gossip is kind of useful because they're pretty accurate at mentioning something that amounts to what activity you seem to do the most, as that villager.
---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
Wonderful 101 tips: http://youtu.be/Y2N4AdNOItg
#7chameleonsoupPosted 10/1/2013 9:26:00 AM
I always make the extra characters for storage and rooms to decorate. Another pro is more walls and floors from Saharah when she comes. I haven't visited your dream for ages (I'll visit again later!) so I can't remember your layout but I suppose a con would be the amount of space the houses take up.
---
3ds 3952-6991-8891
Dream address 7500-2741-4496
#8WitchBaby4200(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2013 9:54:36 AM
chameleonsoup posted...
I always make the extra characters for storage and rooms to decorate. Another pro is more walls and floors from Saharah when she comes. I haven't visited your dream for ages (I'll visit again later!) so I can't remember your layout but I suppose a con would be the amount of space the houses take up.

Thanks everyone! Chameleon don't visit my DT just yet! Lol. I have to update! Lol. Town is a mess right now! Lol.
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
AC:NL: Town: Repaupo, Mayor: Stoochy, Dream Address: 5600-2142-2397
#9Rainmaker59Posted 10/1/2013 10:07:30 AM
I always make alts for the extra storage and the fun of decorating more than one house. With the addition of PWP's in New Leaf, crowding can be an issue when creating a new character in a fully established town. I avoided this by creating my alts before building PWP's.

I only play my alt character for a few minutes each day to grab the bells and furniture my main has dropped for them and run them up to Main Street. They don't interact with my townies and I don't care if they complete their catalogs.
---
3DS FC: 2406-6454-1922
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. ~ John Lennon
#10ExternicaPosted 10/1/2013 10:13:07 AM
Rainmaker59 posted...
I always make alts for the extra storage and the fun of decorating more than one house. [...]

I only play my alt character for a few minutes each day to grab the bells and furniture my main has dropped for them and run them up to Main Street. They don't interact with my townies and I don't care if they complete their catalogs.

Pretty much this.
My first secondary has her house fully upgraded, though I won't pay for her last upgrade.
And my second secondary needs to upgrade her basement to final, though I won't bother doing this, as the second to last basement is good enough.

It's fun decorating. I'm trying to do a haunted house since July and my third character has an abandoned hospital. Though I have no clue what to do with ym second as she was only there. Though I have an idea on what to do with her.