Mario's relationship with Peach

#1MetaKirbyFanPosted 6/25/2010 12:01:48 PM
It's stereotypical to think that Mario and Peach are in love, considering how often he rescues her. But, after closer inspection, that seems to not be so.

Let's start with Super Mario 64. Princess Peach wanted to have a tea party of sorts. Mario arrives in a pipe, indicating that he live s a long while away. The same goes for Mario Galaxy; After Mario arrives, the toads imply that it was a long way for Mario to go. And a third time in Bowser's Inside Story, where Toadbert asks if "The Bros." have arrived yet, implying that they had a long route to get to the castle. In Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, we see a letter arrive from Princess Peach to Mario, heavily implying that that was their only common way of communication. They never talk in person unless they meet on an adventure. We also see Luigi in the house, but the word "Mario" is clearly written on an outside wall. Either they do live together, Luigi has a separate house, or the most likely explanation: they were in a summer home.

In Superstar Saga, they live together in an average house where "Mario" is not written. They probably wrote "Mario" on it to identify that Mario sometimes lives there, although not often enough for it to be instantly identifiable. Princess Peach sent a letter to Mario there, so she at least knows their address. But Luigi says that they don't receive mail often, which means that Princess Peach doesn't regularly contact them.

Couple this with the fact that Mario and Peach are rarely, if ever, seen doing anything romantic, (the only one I can think of being them taking a walk in the intro of New Super Mario Bros.) and you see that they are not romantically involved. Rather, Peach sees Mario and Luigi as close friends. She relies on Mario for her weekly rescue, and Luigi...sometimes...but Mario is never rewarded with anything but a kiss on the cheek, which would be a realistic way to thank him in those situations.

TL;DR: Princess Peach doesn't view Mario romantically, just as a close friend.

Thoughts?
---
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/metaright/GameFAQs/SSB3DSRoster.png
#2kodfish36Posted 6/25/2010 12:09:54 PM
I don't know about the main point you are trying to address but in Paper Mario 1, Mario is just a warp pipe and a short walk away from Peaches castle. And Luigi does, in fact, live with him in that house, which is the same house in TTYD.
---
I am a man. Did you think I was a woman?
#3MetaKirbyFan(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2010 12:11:51 PM
I didn't address Paper Mario 1 since I haven't played it.
---
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/metaright/GameFAQs/SSB3DSRoster.png
#4TimohtepPosted 6/25/2010 12:16:04 PM

just a warp pipe and a short walk away

That warp pipe could go halfway across the mushroom kingdom for all we know.
---
"Take about 5 dozen eggs, start puttin' 'em in a bowl, mix the **** out of 'em, and what do you get?"
Friend Codes in Profile
#5toad133Posted 6/25/2010 12:43:09 PM
I think it's meant to be on the outskirts of Toad Town; the setting fits that of Goomba's Path. You're not gonna tell me their house is in the middle of Dry Dry Desert or Shiver City.

Plus, I could be wrong, but I swear Mario and Luigi's house was on the map in the original PM. Might go take a look at it now.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#6toad133Posted 6/25/2010 12:43:59 PM
And so it is!

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/N64/PaperMario-World%28In-GameMap%29.png

Just above the west gate of Toad Town.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#7Captain_LasagnaPosted 6/25/2010 12:45:51 PM
Mario's getting friendzoned while Peach makes babies with Bowser. I think most of us were quite aware of this by now.
---
Werewolves don't molest children, they eat them.
~Nade Duck, on Twilight
#8KoopalmierPosted 6/25/2010 1:17:01 PM
"Let's start with Super Mario 64. Princess Peach wanted to have a tea party of sorts. Mario arrives in a pipe, indicating that he live s a long while away. The same goes for Mario Galaxy; After Mario arrives, the toads imply that it was a long way for Mario to go. And a third time in Bowser's Inside Story, where Toadbert asks if "The Bros." have arrived yet, implying that they had a long route to get to the castle."

Both the M&L3 and SMG cases are because of the horrible translations. As for SM64, it is shown in Paper Mario that there are two paths to get to Toad Town: either on foot and through the Mushroom Path, either with a Warp Pipe.

"In Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, we see a letter arrive from Princess Peach to Mario, heavily implying that that was their only common way of communication."

Peach simply likes to write letters, and she's too busy to get out of the castle. After all she's the ruler of the whole kingdom.

"They never talk in person unless they meet on an adventure."

You don't see what happens between games.

"We also see Luigi in the house, but the word "Mario" is clearly written on an outside wall. Either they do live together, Luigi has a separate house, or the most likely explanation: they were in a summer home."

Actually it's because Mario designed the house (as you learn in PM) and didn't thought about his brother. Fun fact: Luigi had a separate house at the end of Luigi's Mansion but selled it during Mario's adventure on Isle Delfino.

"Princess Peach sent a letter to Mario there, so she at least knows their address. But Luigi says that they don't receive mail often, which means that Princess Peach doesn't regularly contact them."

Mistranslation ? Or sarcasm. I don't remember that, anyway.

"Couple this with the fact that Mario and Peach are rarely, if ever, seen doing anything romantic, (the only one I can think of being them taking a walk in the intro of New Super Mario Bros.) and you see that they are not romantically involved. Rather, Peach sees Mario and Luigi as close friends. She relies on Mario for her weekly rescue, and Luigi...sometimes...but Mario is never rewarded with anything but a kiss on the cheek, which would be a realistic way to thank him in those situations."

Peach only thinks about Mario and her kingdom in PM2, when she's kidnapped. She also doesn't have much relations with Luigi and instead waste her time with Mario whenever she can (i.e. Super Mario Sunshine). Also, when Twinkle looks at the Mario picture in her room in Paper Mario, she suddently gets angry against him.

Nintendo also said many times that Mario and Peach were in love. Mario obviously loves Peach much more than she does, but they still have a romantic relation whenever they can (which means very rarely).
#9luigiman1154Posted 6/25/2010 1:17:19 PM
There's a Toad in the first Paper Mario who tells Mario to take Peach on a date to Shooting Star Summit.
Their team names in most Mario Parties are "Cutest Couple" and other such names.
The European website confirms their in a relationship.
Lest we forget Rosalina calling Peach Mario's Special One (inb4Luigi)

Throwing it out there
---
Defend
To the bitter end
#10ChesecakeMilitaPosted 6/25/2010 2:48:37 PM
Has everyone forgot about the ending to Super Mario All Stars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hopr3F0hs0&feature=related

Also, this gem of a gif picture...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/mario%201up/surion86/mario1up.gif
---
"High Five!" ~ Goomba
I don't want new games featuring old characters like Kid Icarus: Uprising to have voice acting. People who agree: 0