Watt's Gender: The Answer

#21KoopalmierPosted 7/25/2010 9:54:09 AM
@Mario maniac : You seemingly forget there's a big difference between Nintendo of Japan (the "true" Nintendo) and Nintendo of America (the guys that release Mario games in America, don't hesitate to change the continuity as long as it's not "shocking" for them, and told us Mario was from Brooklyn). Nintendo of Japan made the characters' gender clear, mainly because they made them (duh). Nintendo of Amercia messed things up because there are different translators for each game.
---
Since I play Touhou games, I believe every letter is a bullet coming down and I have to go between them with my mouse cursor.
#22Retrostarman87Posted 7/25/2010 10:14:07 AM
I emailed Nintendo once for what I needed to do when my DSI broke (send it in, duh!), but I also asked if Earthbound would released in America on DS or VC:

"...And I can understand your desire to see the Mother/Earthbound series released outside Japan. At this time, however, no announcements have been made regarding such an occurrence. If any new Mother/EarthBound games are announced for release on the Nintendo DS in the future, or if the original Earthbound game for the Super NES is made available via the Wii’s Virtual Console feature, we’ll be sure to post the news to our website (www.nintendo.com), so please check back from time to time."

Sincerely,

Sharon Matheny

Anyways, I guess its not the same all the time, is it?

Back on subject, I think no one needs to wonder Watt's gender, it is obveoiusly a she, and only like 3 refrences in as a he, but she out numbers he, so therefore Wat= She

---
The Gamecube was totally underrated.
People who Agree: 2 Tell me if you agree!
#23fPaperMariobPosted 7/25/2010 11:17:06 AM

lordlugia_rocks posted...
I say female mostly the dialect seems more like young girl rather than a young boy. I also think all mentions of her being a boy is a typo.
---
pokemon soulsilver friend code: 4769-9681-3044
If Gardevoir is here then that means! oh boy!

Obviously typos, because it was only done once in the entire PM64. and in SPM they probably just forgot.

#24WoopdudePosted 7/25/2010 3:51:23 PM
I emailed them asking if Vivian was a boy or a girl and they replied this:

Hello,

I'm afraid there isn't an answer to your question about Vivian. Nintendo tries to give our fans thet back story information, character descriptions, and--most importantly--the information they require to complete the games that we publish. This can happen through our website (www.nintendo.com), Player's Guides, and Nintendo Power magazine.

Having said that, many details about our games will remain mysteries, left to the active imagination of the player.

Sincerely,

A.E. Harris
Nintendo of America Inc.
#25bowser101Posted 7/25/2010 4:17:31 PM
This thread made me RAEG D:<
---
!~!Bowser101!~!
#26RundazPosted 7/25/2010 5:27:28 PM
I'm afraid there isn't an answer to your question about Vivian.

LOL
---
I've seen these guys and they're ugly as sin. Worst models ever!-Madworld
New Paper Mario at last! :D
#27Mario maniacPosted 7/25/2010 9:17:24 PM
@Mario maniac : You seemingly forget there's a big difference between Nintendo of Japan (the "true" Nintendo) and Nintendo of America (the guys that release Mario games in America, don't hesitate to change the continuity as long as it's not "shocking" for them, and told us Mario was from Brooklyn). Nintendo of Japan made the characters' gender clear, mainly because they made them (duh). Nintendo of Amercia messed things up because there are different translators for each game.

The "true" Nintendo? You seemingly forget that it's all thanks to Nintendo of America that Jumpman is now known as Mario, and the green clone is Luigi. The "fake" Nintendo companies are allowed to give imput. But I digress, as that wasn't the main point you were making.

But my point wasn't about how genders change from the Japanese versions to the English ones. It was that they keep changing in the English versions. Birdo was once known as male in North America, then female, and now she's ambiguous. Watt was female, then there was a typo listing her as male in the very same game, and now she's supposedly definitely a he now. (Vivian, perhaps I need not have mentioned; she was only alluded to being male, from my understanding, in Japan, and was known as female in countries outside of there. So in the respective countries, Vivian remained one gender.) So why do these translators have to keep mucking things around?

I saw your earlier post, saying just to look at the Japanese versions of the games to find out the correct gender. That's a good idea and all, but not everyone cares about whether they were changed during translation. There are those like me who are just wondering why Nintendo of America couldn't have just said one thing, and stuck with it.

And I know what you're going to say next. You'll say that I said:

T'would have been so much easier if they never even bothered insinuating (or flat-out stating, typo or not) Birdo, Vivian and Watt as male.

I stated this because well, the former two look female -- and it wouldn't confuse the kids who play the respective games they are featured in. But I can understand why you would have thought as you did about my prior post.

tl;dr -- That actually wasn't my point, that was yours.
---
Yessss! Shake that thorax!
Monster Hunter Tri: Adam - VMUJNG
#28qwerty107Posted 7/26/2010 8:14:14 AM
http://www.mariowiki.com/Watt
This says female

---
All we need is a little less tragedy. - All We Need by Pennywise
#29mariostar0001Posted 7/26/2010 10:15:34 AM
"http://www.mariowiki.com/Watt
This says female"

Mariowiki? Anyone could have changed it, even you. I once read there that Toadsworth was Peach's father, but that doesn't make it true.
---
If are a JESUS FREAK and are 100% proud put this as your sig. Favorite Video Game Characters: Mario, Sonic, Kirby and Yoshi.
#30InuYashaaaPosted 7/26/2010 10:41:00 AM
Pfft, everyone knows Toadsworth is Peach's grandfather.