I'll buy this if Daisy's in.

#41PT_PiranhaPosted 8/26/2010 7:21:02 PM
^
That actually sounds pretty good.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, we've got fun and games.
"Silence nonbeliever!" ~ Me @ Lemmy's Land.
#42MarioLuigi25Posted 8/27/2010 5:50:39 AM

Koopalmier posted...
Tatanga isn't a main character. Wart isn't a main character. You see, the Mario series is like a sitcom series, as someone else once said: the universe, backstories and characters are already complete. Then the characters are given said backstory to be thrown in said universe and we see what happens to them in every episode of the series. There are main characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser), characters that eventually got their own series (Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario), secondary characters (Waluigi, Daisy) and characters that only appear once or twice and never come back again (Tatanga, Grodus, Cackletta). That allows the series to keep fresh without getting any major change.

In other words, characters and settings that only appear once are a good thing.
---
I can't beat Super Mario Bros.

Yeah I guess you're right. I don't think Mario spin-offs (or the Mario series overall for that matter) would be as good as they are now if characters like Tatanga and Wart just started appearing out of nowhere. And the characters that only appear once are the characters that already have their story filled out am I right? Oh and BTW, I think Yoshi might still be a main Mario character despite having his own series, as he still appears in major Mario titles like Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#43KoopalmierPosted 8/27/2010 6:02:39 AM
He doesn't appear very frequently though. He makes some appearances as a main character (like in SMG2) but it's not for the whole series. Yoshi is between a main character and a secondary character. But he's got games with his name in the title, so we can consider him like Wario and DK. Although technically it's the Mario series who originated from the DK series...
---
I can't beat Super Mario Bros.
#44PT_PiranhaPosted 8/27/2010 12:25:59 PM
But the Yoshi games very clearly take place in Mario's universe, even having the same enemy (Koopa Kingdom), so instead of being a spinoff I'd say it's more of a subseries.

As for Yoshi's status as a main character, I'd say if he isn't he's still a major character. I see it going like this:
-Main character (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, maybe Yoshi)
-Major character (everyone else that isn't limited to sports but keeps big roles)
-Side character (limited to sports IE Waluigi and Daisy)
-Recurring character (only appears on occasion, like E. Gadd)
-Minor character (never outside of more than one or two games)
-Cameo appearance (Link, Samus, etc.)

*Yeah I know Daisy originated in a non-sport game but it was ONE game that was LONG, LONG ago.

I think Yoshi still qualifies as a main character.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs, we've got fun and games.
"Silence nonbeliever!" ~ Me @ Lemmy's Land.