Do you think they'll switch up the battle system?

#1ocarinaoftasiPosted 9/12/2010 9:05:04 PM
Maybe make it similar to that of BiS or other portable Mario RPGs. It would be interesting, but personally I would prefer the classic Paper Mario combat.
---
The wizard did it.
The Conduit FC: 4984-8243-5440 Tasi.
#2MegaForestPosted 9/13/2010 7:45:56 AM
based on the screenshots, i'd say it will probably stay more or less the same. there may be a few changes here and there, but i think it will probably stick to the classic paper mario formula. besides, I think that our palls at Nint10d0h know 1 thing: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
---
"Yeah! For what it's worth, I'm willing to unleash the power of the pants!"
-Quote by Neemon, in Digimon Frontier episode 43
#3Elec Man EXEPosted 9/13/2010 9:27:12 AM
Its already pretty similar to both Mario and Luigi and Mario RPG. You've got the whole timing / specific action to power up attacks, timing to avoid attacks or reduce damage, special moves (each game taking a slightly different route with them, but still more or less the same in general), ect. All of the major battle mechanics are pretty similar between the 3.

There are slight differences, of course. Mario and Luigi has 2 set characters, Paper Mario has 1 set character and 1 changable character, and Mario RPG has 1 set and 2 changable. Mario and Luigi focuses on outright avoiding damage altogether, where the others are more reduction (aside from Superguarding). Mario RPG gives all characters a set of specials, Paper Mario gives both characters their own standard attacks (some of which could be considered specials) and gives Mario a list of actual specials. Mario and Luigi gives you a set of standard commands, and combined specials. But those are all pretty minor.

The only big difference is the perspective, where Paper Mario is on a flat plane, Mario and Luigi is on a right to left 3D plane, and Mario RPG is on a top to bottom 3D plane.

I'm not really sure how it could become more similar without just outright adopting the exact battle system of one of the other games.

But anyway, I hope Paper Mario stays just as it is (or was in the first 2 games). And by the look of the screens, its more or less going to.
---
Master of Electricity
~Lucario Alliance Member~
#4KuhnertPosted 9/15/2010 2:01:46 PM
This follows in line with the paper mario series.

They will copy and paste the battle system from TTYD, and update it similar to how they did updates from the original PM.

Ala

They took the battle system from MaL and updated that in PiT, which then again was slightly updated in BiS.

Don't expect to much other than straight plain in simple fun with the combat systems.
#5strongo9Posted 9/15/2010 4:09:59 PM
Paper Mario will probably stick with the system of defending for less damage and M & L will probably stick with the system of dodging, blocking, and countering to avoid damage.
---
Must have: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Kid Icarus: Uprising,
Paper Mario, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Donkey Kong Country Returns.
#6kc2go2Posted 9/16/2010 11:59:16 AM
I hope they switch it back to the TYD.... SPM just plain sucked since you could easily defeat enemies.... I litterallySPOILERS

Took out the final guy in a minute because of that one pixel you hop on to use Bowser's flame when jumping, so it was stomp stomp burn stomp burn Repeat.

END SPOILERS
---
The cake is a lie...
#7Electric_SonicPosted 9/17/2010 2:41:50 AM
It'll be the same as PM and TTYD, more or less, I would think.

However, I wonder if they'll have some kind of new change to it akin to the crowd in TTYD.
---
http://brawlinthefamily.com/
#8daniel1232323Posted 9/17/2010 3:06:51 AM
they would probably change it up some how. not too much though,
#9terrareusPosted 9/17/2010 6:45:07 AM
In a word: nope.
#10vyseskiesPosted 9/17/2010 12:42:45 PM
Super paper mario is the worst paper mario ever firstly because of its battle system
I hope for the good old battle system.
---
SoA 2- Hope(...) // Nintendo 3DS- Desire // GT5- learning
The rest is rest ranging between joy and sorrow through needs(...)