RUMOR - Paper Mario 3DS to hit this year in Japan?

#31LightHawKnightPosted 9/17/2010 9:27:42 AM
That is the problem with japanese games, most of the puns don't transfer, when translated the puns have to be changed so they are funny to the people playing them, which means loss of good puns that could be understood by americans, but not many. Its sad, but has to be done, name changes are rather stupid though...
---
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true.
#32vyseskiesPosted 9/17/2010 11:38:52 AM
No, it comes to Brazil first. After is Arabia Saudita. After is Japan and finnaly, USA
---
SoA 2- Hope(...) // Nintendo 3DS- Desire // GT5- learning
The rest is rest ranging between joy and sorrow through needs(...)
#33KoopalmierPosted 9/17/2010 12:52:18 PM
"The games are supposed to put humor above all else. If you give such a literal translation like you're wanting them to do, you'll get something quite boring... like Cave Story's translation for WiiWare in comparison to the PC version. That's a good example that maybe taking creative liberties is a better thing than translating from the original text, because some phrases just don't carry over too well without molding them into the translated language's idioms."

I understand that, but I'm talking about text they change for no reason. Why did they changed "Dino Piranha Jr."'s name to "Peewee Piranha", except for the small Petey Piranha reference ? Were they obligated to change "Hammer Robot" to "Megahammer" ? Or "Mushroom Town" to "Toad Town" ? Heck, why must every "galaxy" name in SMG and SMG2 be a unfunny pun that makes the game more childish than anything ? I understand jokes being replaced by similar ones, but complete name changes (Chamelegon -> Francis, for instance), or dialogue change (okay, Vivian being insulted a man in the original version may have be wrong for America, but why did they took out that yet kept the blood on the floor of Rogueport ?) aren't always good.
---
I can't beat Super Mario Bros.
#34doomedchocolatePosted 9/17/2010 12:59:57 PM
Because, again, a literal translation such as "Hammer Robot" is boring, and something like "Megahammer" adds a bit of flair.
#35KoopalmierPosted 9/17/2010 1:32:20 PM
I agree, actually. I'd rather talk about really stupid name changes - like Sun-Sun Desert being renamed Desert Hill. Although they really changed everything in sight in SMB3, SMRPG, MK64 and SM64. But, that aside, the guy who translated SMG and M&L3 from-Japanese-to-French is an awesome translator who somehow can keep the atmosphere of the original text, and most of the jokes. I simply want PM3DS to be translated by him too.
---
I can't beat Super Mario Bros.