Rate my proposed Paper Mario partners...

#1JoeCoolc3 IIIPosted 10/19/2010 8:24:33 PM
Awhile back I made up 8 partners that could be for a new Paper Mario game. While we're waiting for real info, I figured perhaps these could entertain on what we might see. Enjoy!

This particular game takes place in Sarasaland. Bowser decides to try his luck against taking over Princess Daisy's kingdom instead. Some story background is given in each character's description.

Todd (Toad)
Todd can give information on the surroundings.
Todd joins Mario after the Toad Tunnel collapses and he goes for help in Sarasaland.
--Tattle
--Spin Kick
--Medicinal Spores (5 FP) - Heal Mario and Todd +5 HP
--Sporage (5 FP) - Deal 5 Damage to all enemies and chance of confusion

Princess Daisy (Boo)
Daisy can turn herself and Mario invisible to avoid enemies.
After Bowser's forces demolish Sarasaland Castle, Daisy is trapped and becomes a boo. Left with no other choice, she bands together with Mario to save the kingdom.
--Curse - Deal damage and chance to paralyze
--Hide (2 FP) - Avoid attacks for one turn
--Scary Face (3 FP) - Chance to scare enemies away or paralyze
--Royal Pain (6 FP) - Deals between 5 and 10 damage to a single enemy

Mishell (Koopa Troopa)
Mishell can shoot her shell out to retrieve far away items and/or hit switches.
Mishell, an old friend of Princess Daisy, joins Mario after meeting up with him.
--Shell Attack
--Shell Shock (3 FP) - Attack all ground-bound enemies
--Dizzy Shell (3 FP) - Chance to make enemy dizzy
--Gimme Shellter (5 FP) - Mario and Mishell get shell-helmets for 5 turns, preventing damage from jump attacks

Goomby (Spiky Goomba)
Goomby can pick locks with his pointy hat... thing... he's wearing.
Goomby is a struggling stand-up goomba comedian that joins Mario to help him out and, in turn, help himself find some new material.
--Tell Joke - Similar to tattle, but adds to joke log instead.
--Spike Trounce - Jump on any enemy
--Poison Spike (2 FP) - Jump on any enemy and poison them
--Multi-Poison Spike Trounce (4 FP) - Jump on any enemy in succession until missing action command, with chance to poison

---
"Do not expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."
-Calvin Coolidge, 1914
#2JoeCoolc3 III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/19/2010 8:24:48 PM
Flyle (Fly Guy)
Flyle can carry Mario over short distances.
Flyle wants to become a politician one day and hopes to be a war hero as a young shy guy to use as his platform when he's an old guy.
--Dive Bomb
--Grenade Barrage (2 FP) - Throw a few grenades to blow up the next turn
--Hoover (4 FP) - Pick Mario up to avoid all ground-bound attacks for 2 turns
--Boomerang (6 FP) - Fly through all enemies and then boomerang back

Ewestace (Sheep)
Ewestace can carry Mario on his back to run at high speeds.
Ewestace joins Mario after growing tired of following the herd over the fence again and again in Dream Town.
--Head-butt
--Sleepy Sheep (2 FP) - Chance to put all enemies to sleep
--Sheep Herd (5 FP) - Stampede damages all enemies
--Graze - Restore up to 10 FP, rest for one turn after and cannot be switched out

Jeanie Beanie (Bean)
Jeanie can help Mario by distracting other characters with her celebrity, allowing the two past more characters.
Jeanie Beanie, the cute Beanish news reporter, hitches up with Mario late in his adventure to get the story firsthand.
--Wink - Chance to paralyze or love-poison single enemy
--Dirt - Kick dirt at enemies, chance of rock hitting for damage or dust to confuse enemies
--Bean Skip (5 FP) - Skip across all enemies' heads for damage; -8 damage to first enemy, -1 to every enemy following
--Kiss (6 FP) - Heal Mario +8 HP; Mario gets love-poisoned for 1 turn, effectively losing 1 HP a turn later

Scrubba (Clubba)
Scrubba can scrape away at surfaces with his brush club, revealing new passages.
Scrubba joins Mario after his boss, Jubba Jubba, fires him from his job at the shell wash.
--Scrub
--Club Chuck (2 FP) - Throw club at any enemy
--Super Scrub (3 FP) - Lowers enemy's defense by 2 points
--Thicken (4 FP) - Increase defense by 1 or 2, for 5 turns

---
-Calvin Coolidge, 1914
#3LightningYoshiPosted 10/20/2010 4:16:04 AM
Normally I don't look through these topics, but..

These characters are quite interesting. I'm liking a lot of the names for both characters and moves, and some of the moves aren't too shabby in the creative department.

Mishell. Heh.

I imagine some of these to have interesting animations, such as Flyle's Hoover and Boomerang. Nice name.

Ewestace.. Awesome. Graze is interesting.

Jeanie Beanie.. Whoa. Veeery interesting. I've actually envisioned a status ailment called Lovestruck.

So yeah, these are all interesting. It reminds me of the Glitz Pit over on the TTYD board.

---
You are the thunder, and I am the lightning.
#4JoeCoolc3 III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 6:44:28 AM
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them, I also think it would be interesting to have a character that could restore FP. If I'm not mistaken none of the partners in either PM have been able to do that. I don't remember if that was true in SMRPG or not though.
---
-Calvin Coolidge, 1914
#5chibiroxasPosted 10/20/2010 7:56:38 AM
A bean would be really cool^^, why didn't I think of that?! :D
well. what i wish the most for mario's partner is a Shy Guy ^______^
and his most dangerous attack is showing the enemies what's behind his mask for a 33% chance on an instant kill ;P
---
who thinks, my english sucks...come and teach me better :D
#6Jiro911Posted 10/20/2010 9:00:51 AM
Goomby (Spiky Goomba)
Goomby can pick locks with his pointy hat... thing... he's wearing.
Goomby is a struggling stand-up goomba comedian that joins Mario to help him out and, in turn, help himself find some new material.
--Tell Joke - Similar to tattle, but adds to joke log instead.
--Spike Trounce - Jump on any enemy
--Poison Spike (2 FP) - Jump on any enemy and poison them
--Multi-Poison Spike Trounce (4 FP) - Jump on any enemy in succession until missing action command, with chance to poison

Heh,I like this guy.

---
Brawl Friendcode: 4854-6099-1628 Gex
Wizard fet http://mochimag.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/439920225_c65906b2dc.jpg
#7SkyminxyzPosted 10/20/2010 12:19:20 PM
Sigh too bad the bean guy would probably never be in any Mario game (other than the first M&L SS)...(which would still be cool to maybe see him as a camro in this game though

Daisey would be too weird for example: you beat the game and she still dead? Nintendo wouldn't think a unhappy ending for a famous princess would be a good idea...

Other than those two i wish they really would have those partners (maybe for koopa they could have dry bones and instead of bean maybe a Blooper!(to swim like in first Paper mario game!
---
1634 6696 3030 Ice
#8JoeCoolc3 III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/20/2010 12:32:00 PM
Sigh too bad the bean guy would probably never be in any Mario game (other than the first M&L SS)...(which would still be cool to maybe see him as a camro in this game though

There were two bean characters in PM2 and I believe Fawful has been in every M&L game and he's bean. I could see it happening, though most likely they'll just remain NPCs. Still, it's been established they fight, such as Prince Peasley so you never know.

Daisey would be too weird for example: you beat the game and she still dead? Nintendo wouldn't think a unhappy ending for a famous princess would be a good idea...

Yeah I thought about that, but they could easily have whatever mario recovers at the end of the game to return her to her true form at the end. Plot-wise I'd think Daisy as a boo would make things really interesting. It would be a way to incorporate a character that currently exists as nothing more than a slightly "tomboyish" Peach alt in the spinoffs. Hell, I wouldn't even mind if they kept her as a boo, again, would make the Mario cast a little more diverse in the spinoffs.

Other than those two i wish they really would have those partners (maybe for koopa they could have dry bones and instead of bean maybe a Blooper!(to swim like in first Paper mario game!

That's not a bad idea with dry bones, could go along with the destroyed castle theme, maybe Mishell got caught in the collapse or something too haha

I agree a blooper would be a good partner, though I would imagine some sort of tentacle or ink related assist power since Mario now turns into a sailboat (although I preferred Sushi myself).

---
-Calvin Coolidge, 1914
#9Elec Man EXEPosted 10/20/2010 2:12:20 PM
Too many repeated species. I'm tired of Goombas and Koopas especially, them being in both games (staple of Mario or not, they're still boring after 2 appearences), and even another Boo is a bit boring.

At the very least, maybe something similar in function but not the exact same species. Like a Buzzy Beetle instead of a Koopa, or another type of ghost (Fishing Ghost? Dino Ghost?). Not sure what could be similar to a Goomba, but I'd still prefer something else.

And a sheep? Yah, not too thrilled with that idea. I like partners that are classic Mario enemies, not brand new species, and a sheep isn't very cool anyway.

Field abilities are pretty bland. Mostly just the same stuff as earlier Paper Mario games. Lockpicking seems kind of cool, but at the same time would allow you to bypass areas you shouldn't be able to (or only work on certain doors, which would suck).

The names and personalities are pretty interesting, though, as are the in-battle moves. Nice job on those.
---
Master of Electricity
~Lucario Alliance Member~
#10LightningYoshiPosted 10/20/2010 3:20:08 PM
And a sheep? Yah, not too thrilled with that idea. I like partners that are classic Mario enemies, not brand new species, and a sheep isn't very cool anyway.

I assumed sheep were in Mario games before? Like Sleepy Sheep.

---
You are the thunder, and I am the lightning.