I have never played a Paper Mario game...

#1themoth2112Posted 10/22/2010 5:52:59 AM
but are they ALOT like the Superstar Sagas on the DS and GBA? Because the gameplay looks a lot alike, what about everything else?
#2KoopalmierPosted 10/22/2010 10:22:03 AM
They are like the M&L series' battle system, but way more simple. They have more "plot" (it's a Mario game, there's no plot outside of "Peach got kidnapped" anyway) too.
---
No Wi-Fi = no online, no WiiWare, no DSiWare. I hate my modem.
#3daniel1232323Posted 10/22/2010 12:23:53 PM
actually, i believe super star saga, while shorter than paper mario, has more depth, considering there were lots of plot turning points. when all paper mario was, bowser kidnaps peach, mario collects the 7 stars, goes and kicks bowsers butt.
#4LightningYoshiPosted 10/22/2010 1:58:06 PM
Both series of games feature humor prominently, although the Mario & Luigi games feature more slapstick.

Both revolve around turn-based battles for the most part. However, in Mario & Luigi, while on the defensive, dodging every single attack is essential. It's not like that in Paper Mario - it's definitely closer to your typical RPG, with partners you can switch out in battle, equips that are switchable in-between battles, powerful attacks related to a separate meter, etc. Both games include puzzle-solving as well.

That's not exactly a fair comparison of the storylines, because I can make the Mario & Luigi storyline sound just as simple, in addition to the fact that sometimes numerous plot twists are actually detrimental to the storyline.

---
You are the thunder, and I am the lightning.
#5daniel1232323Posted 10/22/2010 4:28:19 PM
you cant some up mario and luigi as little as i did for paper mario. mario and luigi super star saga. too much unexpected things happen.
#6KoopalmierPosted 10/22/2010 5:01:45 PM
"because I can make the Mario & Luigi storyline sound just as simple"
Plot spoilers:
- Super Mario RPG: The Star Road, which allows dream to come true, was broken by Smithy - a monster from another world, himself under Smithy's orders. Mario teams up with Peach, Geno, Mallow and surprisingly Bowser to recover the Star Pieces and defeat Smithy's army. The team travels through the continent and eventually goes to Smithy's dimension and beats him.
- Paper Mario 1: Bowser kidnaps Peach. And becomes invincible. Mario beats him with stars.
- Paper Mario 2: Aliens kidnap Peach. To give full power back to an ancient demon again. Mario beat them all.
- Paper Mario 3: Some emo guy wants to destroy the world. Also Bowser and Peach are heroes again. Mario beat the emo guy and the guy who tried to betray him.
- Mario & Luigi 1: Peach's voice is stolen. Then you learn it wasn't. Then Peach is kidnapped by a witch and Fawful. Then she's saved.
- Mario & Luigi 2: Peach is kidnapped. In the past. Also, more aliens. Then Peach is saved and the aliens are exterminated.
- Mario & Luigi 3: Fawful takes over Bowser's Castle and Peach's Castle and later kidnaps Peach to give full power back to an ancient demon again (sounds similar, right ?). Then Mario, Luigi and - again - Bowser save the world.

I explained the plot for every Mario RPG in a few words. Miyamoto himself said that the Mario series didn't have any story.
---
#7strongo9Posted 10/22/2010 5:08:09 PM
You could have done more summarizing on SMPRG.
---
Must have: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Paper Mario,
Donkey Kong Country Returns, and Kid Icarus: Uprising
#8RundazPosted 10/23/2010 1:30:12 AM
- Paper Mario 3: Some emo guy wants to destroy the world. Also Bowser and Peach are heroes again. Mario beat the emo guy and the guy who tried to betray him.

Stop using that damn word for characters it isn't meant for. Count Bleck lost everything that mattered to him, and I mean everything. He had every reason to be a villain.
---
I've seen these guys and they're ugly as sin. Worst models ever!-Madworld
New Paper Mario at last! :D
#9KoopalmierPosted 10/23/2010 3:34:42 AM
"Stop using that damn word for characters it isn't meant for. Count Bleck lost everything that mattered to him, and I mean everything. He had every reason to be a villain."
That's exactly what I'm saying - he went emotional.

And, yes, I could have summarized SMRPG's story a bit more. Just replace "Geno and Mallow" by "new charactes that never appeared again after'". It's the only Mario game ever to have a story, and it's ridiculously light.
---
#10daniel1232323Posted 10/23/2010 11:13:38 AM
Miyamoto himself said that the Mario series didn't have any story.

because the mario rpg's so obviously do not have story.