PM vs TTYD - Day 17 - Recurring Enemy (Jr. Troopa vs. Lord Crump)

#1LightningYoshiPosted 6/25/2012 6:24:41 AM
Welcome to the Paper Mario Comparison Topic!

This topic will contain SPOILERS!

There are several similarities between Paper Mario (Nintendo 64) and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Gamecube). These topics serve to compare the smaller aspects of the game. Cast aside are the age-old debates of overall storylines and thematic settings - instead, we'll be comparing things like items, badges, sidequests, etc.

(== Comparison Queue ==)
Koopa Partners - Kooper vs. Koops
Goombas - Goombario vs. Goombella
Bob-ombs - Bombette vs. Admiral Bobbery
Sewage Contest - Toad Town Sewers vs. Rogueport Sewers
Mail Delivery - Parakarry (snail) Mail vs. GBASP (E-)Mail
Wind-Themed Partners - Lakilester vs. Flurrie
Defense-Piercing Partners - Watt vs. Ms. Mowz
Carry-Type Partners - Parakarry vs. Yoshi
Character Themes - Twink's Theme vs. Flurrie's Theme
Enemy Bases - Bowser's Castle vs. X-Naut Fortress
Strong-Looking Weaklings - Monstar vs. Armored Harriers
Whacka-doo! - Whacka (PM64) vs. Whacka (TTYD)
Defense-Busting Jumps - D-Down Jump vs. Soft Stomp
Peach Kidnappers - Koopa Troop vs. Secret Society of X-Nauts
Better Title Screen - Paper Mario vs. The Thousand-Year Door
Optional Boss - The Master vs. Bonetail
Train Ride - K64 vs. Excess Express
Chapter 1 Castles - Koopa Bros. Fortress vs. Hooktail Castle
Spooky Bosses - Tubba Blubba vs. Doopliss
Kammy Koopa - Kammy Koopa (PM64) vs. Kammy Koopa (TTYD)
Luigi's View - Luigi's Diary vs. Luigi's Adventure
Threatening Enemies - Tutankoopa vs. Cortez
BLOOOOOOOOPER!!! - Bloopers vs. Blooper
Evil Team Comparison GO! - The Koopa Bros. vs. The Three Shadow Sisters/Beauties

Don't forget to nominate more topics! Don't forget to VOTE for tomorrow's topic!

Nominate topics to go into the Comparison Queue. Examples include Koopa Koot vs. Trouble Center, Repel Gel vs. Boo's Sheet, and Rowf's Shop vs. Lovely Howz of Badges.

Day 1 - Thrill Seekers - Kolorado vs. Flavio | 16-3
Day 2 - Chapter 3 Clubba Boss - Tubba Blubba vs. Macho Grubba | 3-20
Day 3 - Second-in-Command - Kammy Koopa vs. Lord Crump | 12-6
Day 4 - Vanish Partners - Lady Bow vs. Vivian | 9-16
Day 5 - Star Power Attacks - Star Storm vs. Earth Tremor | 6-9
Day 6 - Water Travel - Sushie vs. Boat Mode | 13-4
Day 7 - Penguin Detective Chapters - A Star Spirit on Ice vs. Three Days of Excess | 5-10
Day 8 - Ultra Boots - Ultra Boots (PM64) vs. Ultra Boots (TTYD) | 5-11
Day 9 - Crazy Contraptions - General Guy's Toy Tank vs. Lord Crump's Magnus von Grapple | 11-7
Day 10 - First Line - "Mail Call!" vs. "Mail Call!" | 6-3
Day 11 - Final Dungeons - Bowser's Castle vs. Palace of Shadow | 12-11
Day 12 - Best Final Boss - Bowser vs. Shadow Queen | 3-17
Day 13 - Chapter 7 - A Star Spirit on Ice vs. Mario Shoots the Moon | 19-3
Day 14 - Peach's Partners - Twink vs. TEC-XX | 9-17
Day 15 - Seven Stars - Star Spirits vs. Crystal Stars | 11-12
Day 16 - Peach Cooking Mini Game - Strawberry Cake vs. Invisibility Potion | 15-5
#2LightningYoshi(Topic Creator)Posted 6/25/2012 6:24:46 AM
Day 17 - Recurring Enemy - Jr. Troopa vs. Lord Crump

Paper Mario - Jr. Troopa
This pint-sized powerhouse just can't handle you trespassing on his property, and from then on, a warm friendship was forged. Or not. Jr. Troopa chases you all around the Mushroom Kingdom, increasing in strength each time. He learns how to hide in his shell, fight with a spike, sprout wings, and even shoot magic! The dude swims across the ocean TWICE to chase you down, and he bats the Super Ultra Mighty Koopa Bros. away like they were nothing - focused solely on Mario.

The Thousand-Year Door - Lord Crump
Buh. Buh huh. You first cross paths with this guy when you c*** block him. Or save a poor defenseless girl from his advances. Something like that. Anyway, he's got a large army at his disposal, and a powerful robot suit to boot! You'll fight him over here, over there - on a boat - most anywhere! He even disguises himself and ends up as a member of your crew!

Ready? VOTE!

---
Because girls like guys who keep following them.
At least, that's what I heard.
#3StephenYap3Posted 6/25/2012 6:45:41 AM
Jr. Troopa. He's funny, especially how he swam across the ocean twice and how he froze on ice. He can also evolve after each battle, and I loved his final form! Plus, you fought him more times than Lord Crump!

Lord Crump was okay. He was too easy, but did have a more sinister personality compared to Jr. Troopa. But still, again, my pick is Jr. Troopa.
---
"Every rain drop holds a memory...of you" - Stephen Yap
#4bigstar66Posted 6/25/2012 7:13:35 AM
Jr. Troopa easily.

Where do I start? Crump was never a hard boss; even in his final form I could beat him in four turns or less. That's what it comes down to. He was just too easy for all of his persistence. Although I like his catchphrase, "And with that, POW! I'm gone," I don't like his laugh. If he was a movie villain, he would be Sinbad in Jingle All the Way - not really a threat, just enough to be a thorn in your side.

Jr. Troopa, though only three or so of his six fights were difficult, always 100% always had the element of surprise on you. You NEVER knew he was coming. Even after beating the game as many as ten times, I still sometimes forget to equip proper badges before getting on the tuna at the end of chapter 5. Crump on the other hand, you always have time to prepare for.

Jr. Troopa - 2
Lord Crump - 0
---
ACCF: 4083-6568-1976 (Patrick - Climax)
MPH: 1246-4232-1245 3* SSBB: 4339-2152-2086
#5StephenYap3Posted 6/25/2012 9:53:11 AM
bigstar66 posted...
Jr. Troopa easily.

Where do I start? Crump was never a hard boss; even in his final form I could beat him in four turns or less. That's what it comes down to. He was just too easy for all of his persistence. Although I like his catchphrase, "And with that, POW! I'm gone," I don't like his laugh. If he was a movie villain, he would be Sinbad in Jingle All the Way - not really a threat, just enough to be a thorn in your side.

Jr. Troopa, though only three or so of his six fights were difficult, always 100% always had the element of surprise on you. You NEVER knew he was coming. Even after beating the game as many as ten times, I still sometimes forget to equip proper badges before getting on the tuna at the end of chapter 5. Crump on the other hand, you always have time to prepare for.

Jr. Troopa - 2
Lord Crump - 0

YES!! I agree!
---
"Every rain drop holds a memory...of you" - Stephen Yap
#6WodPythonPosted 6/25/2012 9:54:12 AM
Jr. Troopa, nuff said.
---
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither."
#7StarSpriteZeroPosted 6/25/2012 10:28:07 AM
JR TROOPA since he shows up EVERY chapter other than Lord Crumpy over there.
---
I'd give you my friend code for my 3DS if I didn't sell it for my 4DSiXLU. Buy it in 2053 when it comes out for you guys.
#8Michael_PatcherPosted 6/25/2012 10:53:39 AM
StarSpriteZero posted...
JR TROOPA since he shows up EVERY chapter other than Lord Crumpy over there.

Prologue
Post Chapter 1
Post Chapter 3
Post Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
#9Harvest-TyPosted 6/25/2012 12:00:25 PM
Jr. Troopa of course! Yesterday I came back on the whale and I had to fight him with 5HP! I had to use up my good items on him. :C

It's also fun to beat him up afternyou knock him out.

Noooooooo!
#10Elec Man EXEPosted 6/25/2012 1:17:03 PM(edited)
Lord Crump hands down.

I hate Jr. Troopa. He's completely pointless, serves no purpose at to the actual the story, just shows up out of the blue to battle you over and over again for no reason other than "boo hoo Mario beat me so now I need revenge 'cuz I'm a tough guy". And you have to battle him way too many times with only small differences between, it just becomes annoying after a while. Oh, and his design is rediculous, why is he running around the entire game in his eggshell?

Crump is at least important to the story in a way that makes his repeated appearences meaningful. He's got an actual reason to want to stop Mario. And he's funny, particularly during the pirate chapter.
---
~ Master of Electricity ~
Electro: 0518-6613-7620 - Pokemon White