Review embargo just lifted. WIll post them as they come in.

#21draemsuPosted 11/6/2012 10:40:37 AM
Scores are higher than I was expecting. Definitely getting this now.
---
Your signature is appended to the bottom of every post you make.
#22SagadegoPosted 11/6/2012 10:42:10 AM
Game Informer: 8.75/10 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/paper_mario_sticker_star/b/3ds/archive/2012/11/06/paper-mario-sticker-star-review.aspx

note: they didn't care for paper mario thousand year door
---
Why did Nintendo rip off digimon? demondog666
#23Prince_PyroPosted 11/6/2012 10:42:39 AM
abbyhitter posted...
I'm still getting this game regardless of the reviews.

This. And I'll also get a free copy of Donkey Kong Original.

Besides, I think the problem is that the reviewers are going into it expecting a purer RPG experience, and therefore aren't seeing the forest for the trees.
---
[=[3DS]=] FC: 0946-2412-9538
[o+[___]. ::]
#24MetalKirbyPlushPosted 11/6/2012 10:49:13 AM
Prince_Pyro posted...
Besides, I think the problem is that the reviewers are going into it expecting a purer RPG experience, and therefore aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

That's not what I'm getting from most of these reviews so far. They seem to acknowledge the changeovers fairly well; it's just that they found issues to address with the changes in the first place and the removal of some RPG elements doesn't help to improve the game as a whole, ie. battles are very unrewarding in addition to the expendable nature of your stickers.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#25klecserPosted 11/6/2012 11:16:05 AM(edited)
The 1UP review does a great job of explaining what many people are not understanding about the depth of the sticker battle system.

from 1UP review
Because using one of these abilities permanently removes it from your inventory, and because your inventory comes with sharp space limitations, you're constantly making resource-management decisions with each and every round of combat. Here's a mid-tier enemy; do you use a weak version of your attacks? Or is it better to use a stronger attack? If you can time the weak action perfectly, it'll inflict just enough damage to beat the foe; but a split-second error means you'll not only fail to take it out and leave yourself open to a counter, but you'll also be out the second sticker you needed to finish it off in the next round. Is it worth the risk? Should you use a more expensive power and play it safe? Sticker Star makes tactical decisions and resource management feel seamless and essential in even the most menial of battles.

So, for users here who seem to think that "partners" are somehow "deeper" than stickers, this is a good example of where many of us see quite a bit of depth in the "sticker system". Many have admitted that once you obtain a good "partner" in prior games, you could pretty much stick with them, using the same attack over and over again. I'm not sure how that is an example of tactical "depth" in combat. I'm not knocking prior games. People love them. I'm just saying that immediately dismissing the mechanic just because you don't "get" it isn't exactly giving the game a fair shot.

My take on the Gamexplain review:

-Reviewer butt hurt over minimalistic story.
-Reviewer too dumb to make tactical decisions appropriately from sticker book, deeming the process too "complicated". I've seen this guy review many a game, and for the life of me I can't figure out why heavy resource management like that is deemed positive in other genres, yet not appropriate for Paper Mario.
-Reviewer can't let go of RPG levelling.
#26duderdude3Posted 11/6/2012 11:08:16 AM
"Doesn't GXplain tend to be pretty strict? I remember it giving one of the lower ratings to Skyward Sword."

They gave Skyward Sword 4.5 / 5, a great score
#27Prince_PyroPosted 11/6/2012 11:09:54 AM
MetalKirbyPlush posted...
Prince_Pyro posted...

That's not what I'm getting from most of these reviews so far. They seem to acknowledge the changeovers fairly well; it's just that they found issues to address with the changes in the first place and the removal of some RPG elements doesn't help to improve the game as a whole, ie. battles are very unrewarding in addition to the expendable nature of your stickers.

Yeah, but the notion of battles being "unrewarding" hinges on the fact that you don't gain XP from fighting (I can only assume you'll still gain money from fighting, though). In the sense of "expendability" regarding the stickers, it's fundamentally similar to most other RPGs in that you have limitations on what you can and can't do in battle. Many games use a sort of MP or skill point system, whereas this one uses stickers. I genuinely don't see any significant difference.

Seeing as this is the first portable game in the series, though, they had to make obvious concessions to keep the game "portable". I don't think the several hour stretches of gameplay ("chapters", as it were) would have worked the same on the 3DS as they did on the console releases. It's broken up into smaller levels, which tends to work pretty well for the type of system.

All in all, the general consensus seems to be that this is more of the same. Why complain about that if it's simply more of what people liked in the first place? There seems to be enough of a change here for it not to come off as a complete rehash of old gameplay.
---
[=[3DS]=] FC: 0946-2412-9538
[o+[___]. ::]
#28MetalKirbyPlushPosted 11/6/2012 11:25:45 AM
Prince_Pyro posted...
Yeah, but the notion of battles being "unrewarding" hinges on the fact that you don't gain XP from fighting (I can only assume you'll still gain money from fighting, though). In the sense of "expendability" regarding the stickers, it's fundamentally similar to most other RPGs in that you have limitations on what you can and can't do in battle. Many games use a sort of MP or skill point system, whereas this one uses stickers. I genuinely don't see any significant difference.

The critical difference being you don't lose the move for it. The use of items is what allows you to weigh the choice between expending a lot of MP/TP/FP/etc. and spending whatever value needed for upkeep (that is, the items needed to ensure you can keep using a certain move). In most games, there's the consequence of time/turns spent using an item directly in battle. With stickers, the move literally disappears. It's makes using high value or rare moves outright undesirable on all but the important battles. With a point system, it's the matter of making the move available again in the same battle usually at some sort of monetary and consequential expense (losing your turn/losing mobility).

All in all, the general consensus seems to be that this is more of the same. Why complain about that if it's simply more of what people liked in the first place? There seems to be enough of a change here for it not to come off as a complete rehash of old gameplay.

Except it's been pointed out that the game rather skimps out on story and exposition that the series has proven a good chunk of its strength on. Plus, I don't think anyone ever had an issue with PM 1 and 2 gameplay in the first place. It was never considered stale at all; the series has really had few games to evolve on.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco
#29KeyBlade999Posted 11/6/2012 11:28:11 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
Pieman0920 posted...
2/5 from GameXplain apparently.

What

The

F***

Did not see that coming!

O_o

Lies. All lies.

Then again, I haven't played. We'll see my opinion a week after I start FAQing this bad boy. ^_^
---
Every wound a new opportunity, every curse a new challenge.
I shall encounter defeats... But I will not be defeated.
#30klecserPosted 11/6/2012 11:41:39 AM
MetalKirbyPlush posted...

The critical difference being you don't lose the move for it. The use of items is what allows you to weigh the choice between expending a lot of MP/TP/FP/etc. and spending whatever value needed for upkeep (that is, the items needed to ensure you can keep using a certain move). In most games, there's the consequence of time/turns spent using an item directly in battle. With stickers, the move literally disappears. It's makes using high value or rare moves outright undesirable on all but the important battles. With a point system, it's the matter of making the move available again in the same battle usually at some sort of monetary and consequential expense (losing your turn/losing mobility).

I would call losing the move completely a pretty significant tactical decision in itself. Your argument is basically that all moves should be open to you at all times and that challenge should be solely in the order that you use them. In this game, not only is the challenge of what order to use them present, but adds the additional element of the likelihood that you can't even use the move at all. So, this is actually ADDED difficulty, but you are somehow interpreting that as "simpler".

Many reviews have explained that the Coins system becomes critical later on and the added coins that you get from finishing earlier battles with more efficient "stickers" are needed to use on the Battle spinner later on. So, if you completely avoid battles, you have no coins and some bosses require two hit combos to even damage them.