Review embargo just lifted. WIll post them as they come in.

#31AnclationPosted 11/6/2012 11:42:08 AM
Kid Icarus: Uprising got very mixed reviews and is IMO by far the best original 3DS game. Considering that, I'm not really worried about some of the lower scores.
#32klecserPosted 11/6/2012 11:44:04 AM
It isn't the scores that bother me. Its the inability of gamers to think outside their defined boxes. Such is the internet.
#33EarthViperPosted 11/6/2012 11:48:19 AM
klecser posted...
It isn't the scores that bother me. Its the inability of gamers to think outside their defined boxes. Such is the internet.

QFT
---
Clam shell plastic packaging is, in fact, my mortal enemy.
#34Capitan_KidPosted 11/6/2012 11:53:00 AM
klecser posted...

So because someone dislikes this game for ripping out and tossing aside what made the first two games so great like partners, a good story, exp, a reason for fighting mooks, unique characters that enrich the world and plot, it means theyre not thinking outside the box? Get over yourself.
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#35Pieman0920Posted 11/6/2012 12:03:44 PM
Capitan_Kid posted...
klecser posted...

So because someone dislikes this game for ripping out and tossing aside what made the first two games so great like partners, a good story, exp, a reason for fighting mooks, unique characters that enrich the world and plot, it means theyre not thinking outside the box? Get over yourself.

That's the only thing that you said there that actually applies to making the first two games great. The partners were just partners, and anything good about them has to deal with the bolded part. The story was never the main draw of the series, but rather the writing of the things between it. EXP is what I'm assuming your reason for fighting is, and there is that in the game.

Super Mario RPG and the Paper Marios stood out from everything because they were different and tried something new. That's always how its been. The main complaints from reviewers aren't even directed at these things.
---
(9^_^)--------0(x_X^)
Official ungrateful jerk of GameFAQs.
#36Capitan_KidPosted 11/6/2012 12:09:46 PM
Pieman0920 posted...
Capitan_Kid posted...
klecser posted...

That's the only thing that you said there that actually applies to making the first two games great. The partners were just partners, and anything good about them has to deal with the bolded part. The story was never the main draw of the series, but rather the writing of the things between it. EXP is what I'm assuming your reason for fighting is, and there is that in the game.

Super Mario RPG and the Paper Marios stood out from everything because they were different and tried something new. That's always how its been. The main complaints from reviewers aren't even directed at these things.

How is the story not one of the main draws when there are characters that make it so great? The partners are not just partners. They added a whole new depth in TTYD since they had their own health bars and could be used as shields orbto build star meter or attack or defend. There isnt any exp. Theres practically no point in fighting mooks since you wanna save your good stickers for the bosses.
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#37Pieman0920Posted 11/6/2012 12:21:46 PM
Partners in RPGs are very commonplace. What makes Paper Mario partners so great is their charm/writing, not their battle mechanics. That's what's lost here, but as the M&L games have shown that doesn't deteriorate the charm/writing of the game as a whole.

Fighting mooks gets you stickers, but overall they are supposed to be obstacles. You don't actively seek them unless you want EXP, and that's just grinding. Some people get a kick out of grinding, but personally I see it as a good thing to skip out the middleman here. It worked very well in the Battle Network series, and I believe it can work well here too.
---
(9^_^)--------0(x_X^)
Official ungrateful jerk of GameFAQs.
#38klecserPosted 11/6/2012 12:37:41 PM(edited)
Pieman0920 posted...
Partners in RPGs are very commonplace. What makes Paper Mario partners so great is their charm/writing, not their battle mechanics. That's what's lost here, but as the M&L games have shown that doesn't deteriorate the charm/writing of the game as a whole.

Fighting mooks gets you stickers, but overall they are supposed to be obstacles. You don't actively seek them unless you want EXP, and that's just grinding. Some people get a kick out of grinding, but personally I see it as a good thing to skip out the middleman here. It worked very well in the Battle Network series, and I believe it can work well here too.

Yep. Partners are pretty much represented here, in the stickers. If someone's argument is that they're not playing the game because they liked the "charm" of partners, then I can get behind that. Its the pretending that the partner mechanic is somehow different and better than the stickers that shows a lack of thinking outside the box.

So, Captain_Kid, when I say inability of gamers to think outside the box, I literally mean that that is what the problem is for many users here. If you don't like, you don't like it. But the "justifications" that I'm seeing for not liking it don't match the reality of the game. I'm hoping that by reading different opinions you can begin to see why your interpretation of it might be a tad short-sighted. I respect "partners was charmig for me and I'm missing it because I liked this." What I hear instead is: "stickers are totally different than partners, so the gameplay is less deep." That doesn't match what the reviews say.
#39XxPika740xXPosted 11/6/2012 12:58:48 PM
NEVER trust the first batch of reviews
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicandGamesandStuf
----->Pika740<----- Say my name, say my name.
#40SagadegoPosted 11/6/2012 1:00:44 PM
8 - destructoid
by
Jonathan Holmes

http://www.destructoid.com/review-pa...r-237949.phtml
---
Why did Nintendo rip off digimon? demondog666