Just wow. What a let down.

#41ShinobishyguyPosted 11/6/2012 6:49:10 PM
Chaosmaster00 posted...
I agree with OP and the views he and others have similarly expressed about the flaws in the game mechanics and about how this is likely to be an unfortunately more "casual" Mario RPG game...

...but I'm still gonna buy it and see for myself. Call me a troll all you want, but there, in black and white, I say I am still going to give it a chance at redemption of opinion until I can factually state I will not like this game. I have my pre-order since a year and a half ago, and I'll be damned to think I wasted all this time for nothing until I can see that for myself.

how is it more casual when one of the complaints is how it doesn't hold you hand?
#42DMZappPosted 11/6/2012 6:50:05 PM
Fargo22 posted...
I agree with TC about the battle system. It is, from what has been said so far, relatively flawed. What other RPGs have battle systems with no reward, other than some item you can attack with? Where is the experience? The partners? The strategy?

I swear, I was looking forward to this game, but now I don't know... It does seem like a more casual entry to the series, sadly.

I heard the story is bare bones. The sticker system is imbalanced and overly simplistic. Even the bosses, which are some of my favorite moments in RPGs, follow a guess-and-check method with a specific sticker! With that sticker the bosses are too easy; without it, they are too difficult.

There is truly no fun in running in an RPG. In fact, I don't allow myself to run unless it is part of the game script. But, with no serious reward for battles, I find myself wondering, what IS the point of fighting?

Compared to the first two Paper Mario games, and even SPM to a lesser degree, this game is not even close to the pedigree that Paper Mario fans have come to expect from this franchise.

What a let down...

Same. And after the absolute heinousness of the gameplay redesign of Mario Party 9, I am not in the mood for taking another chance with another drastic redesign of a Mario spin-off game.

I don't even care if people bash me for this ...OK, I do, so maybe the better phrase is "I'm not backing down on my words unless the conditions in the next paragraph are met". The 34 minute preview was a joke. The newest Nintendo Direct relating to this game sank my hopes even further. And don't get me started on the pointlessness of fights (I'm a NOW kind of person, in case one couldn't tell- I want a substantial battle reward NOW, not just 3 coins). And now, the news that there's not much story?!

I will give this game one last chance just ONE!!! to sway me. If two different Youtube walkthroughs of Chapter 1 fail to immerse and impress me, then adios to my Christmas list, Paper Mario: Sticker Star!
---
Pokemon Black FC: 0905 2290 4576
Nothin' much, just cookin'.
#43Kromlech06Posted 11/6/2012 7:07:32 PM
TC, isn't there an Uragaan speedrun you should be gunlancing?

Assuming TC is satirical and looking for dumb responses.

Mission accomplished, Sir Twig.
#44Chaosmaster00Posted 11/6/2012 7:33:06 PM
Shinobishyguy posted...
Chaosmaster00 posted...
I agree with OP and the views he and others have similarly expressed about the flaws in the game mechanics and about how this is likely to be an unfortunately more "casual" Mario RPG game...

...but I'm still gonna buy it and see for myself. Call me a troll all you want, but there, in black and white, I say I am still going to give it a chance at redemption of opinion until I can factually state I will not like this game. I have my pre-order since a year and a half ago, and I'll be damned to think I wasted all this time for nothing until I can see that for myself.

how is it more casual when one of the complaints is how it doesn't hold you hand?

It's not like the others did either, just not to the same degree of being more "on your own" with no good hint-giving "partners", or someone to help show you the way (one of the Merlee/Merluvlee twins).

Also, perhaps vague, but I guess I was hinting more at overall gameplay than the puzzle-solving aspect, though being an important factor as it is now, guess I should have disclaimed it when I mentioned "casual", knowing someone would say SOMETHING to counter my sentiment.
---
Ar Rappy of the PS0 board | Rappy Souls: 1054 | 3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#45KamirineGoddessPosted 11/6/2012 7:42:20 PM
While I do believe that going by one review (whether positive or negative) is ridiculous, if not even a little stupid, I don't see the problem with people having geniune concerns about a games possible flaws. More so when said flaws are brought up in other reviews, such as this game. (I always believe in 'compare and contrast' when dealing with gaming reviews, not scores or relying on one source of review information. To each there own however.)

For instance, the issues that the GameExplain review brought up (about the fighting system and the 'Thing Stickers') are the exact same issues that have been brought up in other reviews, including the IGN one. That's what has me the most concerned: that two seperate reviews (well four if you count the other two that came in), each with varying scores, are listing the same issue(s).

So it's a safe assumption that this could be a legidimate problem with the game, one of which I'll openly admit, I'm concerned about myself.

Do I still plan to get the game or at least play it? Of course: I'm my own best judge of what I'll like and can tolerate. But will I be cautious/know there's a possiblity I won't enjoy the game as much as I did previous titles, more so if a flaw that's being brought up is one I was already concerned about to begin with? Yes.

And seriously: just because a score is negative doesn't mean it should be grain of salted if the reviewer gave legidimate reasoning (whether you agree or not, after all, reviews tend to be opinion as well as factual based) for his review. But at the same token, neither should a game reviewed as positive be written off as "Oh, they're just fanboys!", etc. etc.

This is one of the dumbest, 'run-to' excuses I see posters give pretaining to why a game gets a high/low score...
---
Apparently, the only 'right' opinion on a message board is what the majority believes. Huh. Go figure.
#46Chaosmaster00Posted 11/6/2012 7:46:34 PM
KamirineGoddess posted...
While I do believe that going by one review (whether positive or negative) is ridiculous, if not even a little stupid, I don't see the problem with people having geniune concerns about a games possible flaws. More so when said flaws are brought up in other reviews, such as this game. (I always believe in 'compare and contrast' when dealing with gaming reviews, not scores or relying on one source of review information. To each there own however.)

For instance, the issues that the GameExplain review brought up (about the fighting system and the 'Thing Stickers') are the exact same issues that have been brought up in other reviews, including the IGN one. That's what has me the most concerned: that two seperate reviews (well four if you count the other two that came in), each with varying scores, are listing the same issue(s).

So it's a safe assumption that this could be a legidimate problem with the game, one of which I'll openly admit, I'm concerned about myself.

Do I still plan to get the game or at least play it? Of course: I'm my own best judge of what I'll like and can tolerate. But will I be cautious/know there's a possiblity I won't enjoy the game as much as I did previous titles, more so if a flaw that's being brought up is one I was already concerned about to begin with? Yes.

And seriously: just because a score is negative doesn't mean it should be grain of salted if the reviewer gave legidimate reasoning (whether you agree or not, after all, reviews tend to be opinion as well as factual based) for his review. But at the same token, neither should a game reviewed as positive be written off as "Oh, they're just fanboys!", etc. etc.

This is one of the dumbest, 'run-to' excuses I see posters give pretaining to why a game gets a high/low score...

Why can I NOT find the "thumbs up" or "Like" buttons for posts on this site?!

You'd have my vote for sure. Nails on heads with hammers and hitting them, or something.
---
Ar Rappy of the PS0 board | Rappy Souls: 1054 | 3DS FC: 1590-4884-9269
Sage of The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave board ( http://i48.tinypic.com/20gmued.jpg )
#47co1onelPosted 11/6/2012 8:03:28 PM
Kromlech06 posted...
TC, isn't there an Uragaan speedrun you should be gunlancing?

Assuming TC is satirical and looking for dumb responses.

Mission accomplished, Sir Twig.

Gosh no, please don't encourage him to make more awful videos.
#48DarkKirby2500Posted 11/6/2012 8:07:54 PM
It's pretty much Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii all over again, appealing to casuals.

Because casuals can't figure out RPG mechanics for crap.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#49Rurouni720Posted 11/6/2012 8:18:14 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
It's pretty much Super Paper Mario and Mario Kart Wii all over again, appealing to casuals.

Because casuals can't figure out RPG mechanics for crap.

Yeah, your looking WAY too much into this in comparison to the term "casual".
#50DarkKirby2500Posted 11/6/2012 8:41:39 PM
Rurouni720 posted...

Yeah, your looking WAY too much into this in comparison to the term "casual".

"Casual" is me being polite. There is another, more accurate word.

I enjoyed Super Paper Mario's story, but the game play was garbage. Dying was literally a challenge everywhere except the pits, and the pit difficulty was artificial. The was no strategy, no skill, just having tons of cooked items as you essentially tanked it.

Mario Kart Wii was just... well the courses were all incredibly forgiving (boring) compared to past Mario Kart games. Were are those courses you had to memorize on 150cc because the turns were sharp?
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>