Just wow. What a let down.

#51McmadnessV3Posted 11/6/2012 9:10:40 PM
Darkkirby its funny you say that because the most comment criticism is that the game is too open and doesn't give you much help in solving the puzzles.

So yeah, I wouldn't quite throw the "casual" title around just yet.

Besides, its bloody Paper Mario, these games are about as "casual" as you can get when it comes to rpgs.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#52Mariofan15Posted 11/6/2012 9:25:03 PM
Are you effin kidding me? So just like Heroes of Ruins flopped.... it seems like Paper Mario will follow the same path to obscurity! Watching the xplain review had me shaking my head massively. Killing enemies is supposed to have some sort of accomplishment so let me try to understand this:

1) Killing NORMAL enemy mobs is completely unnecessary provided you have overpowered stickers for the main boss.

2) You can run away the entire game provided you have optimal stickers. The enemies disappear so its almost like you won the battle without doing anything (lol).

3) Someone tell me the point of killing enemy mobs again? Super rare stickers? Seriously? Pretty sure you can find these stickers loitering around the worlds you go through.

4) The game provides no sense of direction. Puzzles can be infuriating to solve with no clues whatsoever. Nice.

I guess not having a leveling system (EXP and all that jazz) in place really does hurt the core fundamentals revolving around the battle system. This is really the point of playing RPGs you know? Nintendo just can't seem to get anything right.

Purchasing this game is next to impossible now. Rental? Yes. "Possible" rental and that is not even a guaranteed objective.

Lol. Good job making your own decision there,chief. This is why people need to make their own choices and not listen to some stupid ass review. What happened to judging the game yourself? Nowadays,everyone decides if a game is worth a purchase based on review's now instead of renting the game.
---
0476-5632-3140:Pokemon White 2
#53DarkKirby2500Posted 11/6/2012 9:28:00 PM(edited)
McmadnessV3 posted...
Darkkirby its funny you say that because the most comment criticism is that the game is too open and doesn't give you much help in solving the puzzles.

So yeah, I wouldn't quite throw the "casual" title around just yet.

Besides, its bloody Paper Mario, these games are about as "casual" as you can get when it comes to rpgs.

Unless you exploited Power Up ---> Multi Attack, Thousand Year Door wasn't easy. The difficulty was moderate, and some bosses required strategy to defeat.

Bowser's Inside Story was also of moderate difficulty. If you made wrong decisions or wandered into areas with high level monsters with no items, you'd just die.

Those are the games I would consider have acceptable difficulty.

Not stuff like Super Paper Mario, etc. where dying is difficult. Even the last boss, they could have at least made it so only the head, which moved, was attackable, instead they made its giant defenseless collar attackable which was hard not to land on.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#54McmadnessV3Posted 11/6/2012 9:30:44 PM
There is this little thing called dominant strategy in games. Basically it means even if your offered different strategies, your always going to take the best one unless you feel like challenging yourself.

So basically you saying "its hard as long as you don't use the strategy that makes it easy" doesn't really mean anything.

Paper Mario games are very simple easy rpgs as they are designed for people who are new to video games. Just like every Mario game ever.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#55DarkKirby2500Posted 11/6/2012 9:57:12 PM
McmadnessV3 posted...
There is this little thing called dominant strategy in games. Basically it means even if your offered different strategies, your always going to take the best one unless you feel like challenging yourself.

So basically you saying "its hard as long as you don't use the strategy that makes it easy" doesn't really mean anything.

Paper Mario games are very simple easy rpgs as they are designed for people who are new to video games. Just like every Mario game ever.

I disagree. You're basically saying "if I can do it, why shouldn't I, even if it ruins the game". Some have made this complaint for Skyrim, or Elder Scrolls games in general for PC. Even if you choose to play without mods (which you shouldn't), you still have console commands, they ability is always existent, but if you are to abuse them you can make the game very, very easy. It's up to the player to exercise self control and decide the difficulty they want. Early on in Skyrim there was the Smithing exploit, which allowed players to get max level armor and weapons at very low levels, which also made the game very easy. It was eventually patched (which Nintendo almost never does for their games, which is a shame) out, but during the time it was in the game, the common "solution" people gave others complaining of easy difficulty was to just have some self control. Console commands are still existent of course, some people choose to exploit it to make the game easy, but if you do, and it is your right to play the (single player) game the way you wish, you lose the right to complain that the game is too easy.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#56SkyCrackersPosted 11/6/2012 10:02:06 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
Mario Kart Wii was just... well the courses were all incredibly forgiving (boring) compared to past Mario Kart games. Were are those courses you had to memorize on 150cc because the turns were sharp?

Huh, I felt the exact opposite. I thought the courses were a lot more tricky and complex than its predecessors. My non-gamer sister had a lot of difficulty with it, as opposed to Double Dash and MK64.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#57tw1g_007(Topic Creator)Posted 11/7/2012 12:54:51 AM
Mariofan15 posted...
Are you effin kidding me? So just like Heroes of Ruins flopped.... it seems like Paper Mario will follow the same path to obscurity! Watching the xplain review had me shaking my head massively. Killing enemies is supposed to have some sort of accomplishment so let me try to understand this:

1) Killing NORMAL enemy mobs is completely unnecessary provided you have overpowered stickers for the main boss.

2) You can run away the entire game provided you have optimal stickers. The enemies disappear so its almost like you won the battle without doing anything (lol).

3) Someone tell me the point of killing enemy mobs again? Super rare stickers? Seriously? Pretty sure you can find these stickers loitering around the worlds you go through.

4) The game provides no sense of direction. Puzzles can be infuriating to solve with no clues whatsoever. Nice.

I guess not having a leveling system (EXP and all that jazz) in place really does hurt the core fundamentals revolving around the battle system. This is really the point of playing RPGs you know? Nintendo just can't seem to get anything right.

Purchasing this game is next to impossible now. Rental? Yes. "Possible" rental and that is not even a guaranteed objective.

Lol. Good job making your own decision there,chief. This is why people need to make their own choices and not listen to some stupid ass review. What happened to judging the game yourself? Nowadays,everyone decides if a game is worth a purchase based on review's now instead of renting the game.

Renting is a possibility if you read the post you quoted completely. And its not about "judging the game for myself" because the reviewer pretty much said everything I needed to know. The fighting part of the game is my biggest reason for purchase and if its so flawed according to the review then I can resort to two things:

1) Wait till the game is dirt cheap and I'm talking well under $20 before making a solid purchase.

2) Rent the game but at this point I am doubtful I will even bother because I could simply watch Youtube videos and make an informed decision from there.

The fighting game issues is also a fact and not based off opinion bs like you guys keep saying. Issues I presented at the beginning of this topic is undeniably true based on not just this review but several others who correlate similar experiences.
---
MH will have to wait and why do most GameFAQ'ers in the 3DS board have sex with their 3DS?