Urgh initial reviews are confirming my worries for this game (being dumbed down)

#21EzraGenesisPosted 11/7/2012 12:41:03 PM
Lol, Seamus.
---
Any Tree Can Drop An Apple. I'll Drop The Freaking Moon
PSN: EzraGenesis
#22GroadergreenPosted 11/7/2012 12:42:45 PM
They had to dumb it down so all the idiots on the Gfaqs board could finish it. They read the arguing that goes on and realized their fans lack basic and fundamental intelligence.
---
The Official Demonee-Ho of the SMT IV Board
#23SMASHKING84Posted 11/7/2012 12:54:06 PM
this game compared to paper mario,ttyd,spm
1.No xp
2.no partners
3.smw style map
4.stickers

pmttyd compared to pm
1.Audience
2.Partners have own hp
3.Partners get badges that work on them
4.Partners have more dialog
5.Super guard&stylish moves
6.INNS and Health blocks cost money
7.Post credits only sidequests 8.Mario has more paper based powers(like airplane and boat)
9.A partner that is 100% optional
10.pit of 100 trials
11.For the first and only time you fight peach
12.An in game event that uses real world time(that lottery thing)
13.For the first time since smrpg you can play as bowser
14.A final boss that for once isn't bowser
15.The game now tracks your recipes,tattles,and badges

15>3 especailly since AT LEAST 4 of those changes i listed were major changes so even if you say all four new ideas in pmss are major there's still way more new ideas in pmttyd.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY oppinon.
#24Confuseguy365Posted 11/7/2012 12:56:11 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
1.No xp
2.no partners
3.smw style map
4.stickers

pmttyd compared to pm
1.Audience
2.Partners have own hp
3.Partners get badges that work on them
4.Partners have more dialog
5.Super guard&stylish moves
6.INNS and Health blocks cost money
7.Post credits only sidequests 8.Mario has more paper based powers(like airplane and boat)
9.A partner that is 100% optional
10.pit of 100 trials
11.For the first and only time you fight peach
12.An in game event that uses real world time(that lottery thing)
13.For the first time since smrpg you can play as bowser
14.A final boss that for once isn't bowser
15.The game now tracks your recipes,tattles,and badges

15>3 especailly since AT LEAST 4 of those changes i listed were major changes so even if you say all four new ideas in pmss are major there's still way more new ideas in pmttyd.

Can we really list all the changes before the game even comes out?
#25SMASHKING84Posted 11/7/2012 1:06:11 PM
these are facts given to us by nintendo or reviewers i haven't seen any reviewers indicarte there are any new ideas besides those.

hell the review were talking about in this topic (i'm assuming the tc means game explain)
said "The potenial to do something new is there but it never does" it's like i said before slapping on gimmicks doesn't make a rehash not a rehash.

look at wind waker it plays exacly like any other zelda game except for one gimmick(sailing) you take out that one gimmick and it's oot with celshading.
people keep whinning about rehashes but the fact is this game is STILL a rehash,and frankly a game pretending it's not a rehash is worse then a game that admits it doesn't do anything special.
---
#26klecserPosted 11/7/2012 1:10:04 PM(edited)
Marsford posted...

Not if you're having coins and stickers constantly thrown at you.

I think that you haven't spent much time thinking through how the system works.

I think that the number of stickers you have is irrelevant. The challenge is knowing what to keep in your album, when to use them, what order to use them in, and whether it is an appropriate risk to try for added uses in a battle using the battle spinner. Note that many reviews state that some bosses are not beatable without using the battle spinner.

To get more coins, you have to use more stickers.

Put all of that together and your ultimate goal is not to spend so many stickers at the start of a level that you don't have enough (or the right one) for the final boss. Since final boss' are vulnerable to certain "thing" stickers, so the game encourages you to explore every secret place to go an easier route in defeating them.

This game is about finding balance. Many gamers are struggling with this because they are used to traditional games that PROVIDE YOU the balance and you just have to decide what order to use your established powers in. That is INHERENTLY less sophisticated than this mechanic.

I haven't played it yet, and neither have you, but I think what is going to happen here is that you will find that all of your "issues" with this game are related to your inability to look at traditional RPG gaming from a new perspective. Feel free to disagree. I'm just sick of listening to all of the detractors complain about aspects of the game play that they seem determined to not think through. Your enjoyment, or lack therefore, seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy based upon your unwillingness to examine RPG mechanics from a meta- level. There is a different level of analysis happening here.
#27ApolloJusticeAAPosted 11/7/2012 1:10:06 PM
klecser posted...
Marsford posted...

Not if you're having coins and stickers constantly thrown at you.

I think that you haven't spent much time thinking through how the system works.

I think that the number of stickers you have is irrelevant. The challenge is knowing what to keep in your album, when to use them, what order to use them in, and whether it is an appropriate risk to try for added uses in a battle using the battle spinner. Note that many reviews state that some bosses are not beatable without using the battle spinner.

To get more coins, you have to use more stickers.

Put all of that together and your ultimate goal is not to spend so many stickers at the start of a level that you don't have enough (or the right one) for the final boss. Since final boss' are vulnerable to certain "thing" stickers, so the game encourages you to explore every secret place to go an easier route in defeating them.

This game is about finding balance. Many gamers are struggling with this because they are used to traditional games that PROVIDE YOU the balance and you just have to decide what order to use your established powers in. That is INHERENTLY less sophisticated than this mechanic.

I haven't played it yet, and neither have you, but I think what is going to happen here is that you will find that all of your "issues" with this game are related to your inability to look at traditional RPG gaming from a new perspective. Feel free to disagree. I'm just sick of listening to all of the detractors complain about aspects of the game play that they seem determined to not think through. Your enjoyment, or lack therefore, seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy based upon your unwillingness to examine RPG mechanics from a meta- level.

...*clap, clap, clap, clap*
---
Alt to Millamac: The Official Apollo Justice of all boards
#28evoxpiscesPosted 11/7/2012 1:35:20 PM
Maybe it doesn't have the battle system or level of customization of the previous PM games but it sure does look fun. And if you refuse to find fun in this game, then that's your own fault. I, for one, will be enjoying the heck out of this come Sunday.
#29CW4103Posted 11/7/2012 2:15:44 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
1.No xp (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed)
2.no partners (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed)
3.smw style map (Minor, but reduces importance of the PM staple of a hub area)
4.stickers (Major gameplay mechanic added)
5.No badges (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed) (also applies to spm)

pmttyd compared to pm
1.Audience (minor, only effects some battles and in a relatively arbitrary way)
2.Partners have own hp (slight change, partners rarely get hit, rarely effects how battles are fought)
3.Partners get badges that work on them (Didn't notice, does anyone actually use these?)
4.Partners have more dialog (really?)
5.Super guard&stylish moves (completely optional)
6.INNS and Health blocks cost money (minor inconvenience, barely noticeable)
7.Post credits only sidequests (what?)
8.Mario has more paper based powers(like airplane and boat) (don't effect battles, only function as slightly more creative "plot walls")
9.A partner that is 100% optional (I didn't even know about this until a while after I first beat the game, trivial sidequest)
10.pit of 100 trials (once again, optional sidequest)
11.For the first and only time you fight peach (creative bosses, doesn't sound like a change)
12.An in game event that uses real world time(that lottery thing) (optional/sidequest)
13.For the first time since smrpg you can play as bowser (very short, practically glorified cut scenes)
14.A final boss that for once isn't bowser (It's the second game, and smrpg boss wasn't bowser)
15.The game now tracks your recipes,tattles,and badges (optional log, no actual gameplay change, just some extra documentation)

15>3 especially since AT LEAST 4 of those changes i listed were major changes so even if you say all four new ideas in pmss are major there's still way more new ideas in pmttyd.

Changes in PM:SS are much more significant, and these are just changes that we know before even playing the game. All of the things you listed for TTYD were optional, not actual gameplay changes, or very minor changes. Also, if you notice, TTYD removed almost nothing. It only added on to what PM had already established. SS, on the other hand, lacks 3 major gameplay mechanics of PM turn-based rpgs.
#30SMASHKING84Posted 11/7/2012 2:29:33 PM
CW4103 posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
1.No xp (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed)
2.no partners (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed)
3.smw style map (Minor, but reduces importance of the PM staple of a hub area)
4.stickers (Major gameplay mechanic added)
5.No badges (Major gameplay mechanic completely removed) (also applies to spm)

pmttyd compared to pm
1.Audience (minor, only effects some battles and in a relatively arbitrary way)
2.Partners have own hp (slight change, partners rarely get hit, rarely effects how battles are fought)
3.Partners get badges that work on them (Didn't notice, does anyone actually use these?)
4.Partners have more dialog (really?)
5.Super guard&stylish moves (completely optional)
6.INNS and Health blocks cost money (minor inconvenience, barely noticeable)
7.Post credits only sidequests (what?)
8.Mario has more paper based powers(like airplane and boat) (don't effect battles, only function as slightly more creative "plot walls")
9.A partner that is 100% optional (I didn't even know about this until a while after I first beat the game, trivial sidequest)
10.pit of 100 trials (once again, optional sidequest)
11.For the first and only time you fight peach (creative bosses, doesn't sound like a change)
12.An in game event that uses real world time(that lottery thing) (optional/sidequest)
13.For the first time since smrpg you can play as bowser (very short, practically glorified cut scenes)
14.A final boss that for once isn't bowser (It's the second game, and smrpg boss wasn't bowser)
15.The game now tracks your recipes,tattles,and badges (optional log, no actual gameplay change, just some extra documentation)

15>3 especially since AT LEAST 4 of those changes i listed were major changes so even if you say all four new ideas in pmss are major there's still way more new ideas in pmttyd.

Changes in PM:SS are much more significant, and these are just changes that we know before even playing the game. All of the things you listed for TTYD were optional, not actual gameplay changes, or very minor changes. Also, if you notice, TTYD removed almost nothing. It only added on to what PM had already established. SS, on the other hand, lacks 3 major gameplay mechanics of PM turn-based rpgs.

i don't see how OPTIONAL makes something invalid at all.
if it's not optional it's manditory i don't think anyone would be for having go through the entire pit of 100 trials to reach the end credits.

"slightly more creative plot wall" by that logic so is switch pressing or using partners moves on the field.
so if this game let you CHOOSE weither or not you get xp,partners,badges,or stickers it automatically not count?

change only matters if it's forced down your throat,good to know.
"smrpg had this" my post was about pm>pmttyd smrpg has nothing to do with this smrpg is not PAPER MARIO

and really paper mario&ttyd have FAR MORE IN COMMON with smrpg then pmss.so this arguement falls flat no matter what. if your mad about pm not being like smrpg then there is NO REASON you wouldn't be even more angry about this game.
---