Urgh initial reviews are confirming my worries for this game (being dumbed down)

#51ApolloJusticeAAPosted 11/7/2012 6:04:19 PM
tilaroxs posted...
ApolloJusticeAA posted...
FFMaster1212 posted...
Why not put it on it's own pedestal instead of putting it on that of another, because when you do compare games you can't hold a candle to an original. For example, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker was actually a good game... However people bashed it because it wasn't better than Ocarina of Time. Same thing is happening here. Why not base it on its own merit and stop comparing it to Paper Mario 64. When you get down to it, Sticker Star could be better however nobody wants to give it a chance cause of some preconceived ideals that make no sense whatsoever. So instead of complaining about past games Play this one before you start complaining about it. Another thing Not everybody shares the same Ideas, I personally hate warfare games whereas my friends love them.

Exactly there is merit to this game but so far everyone has bashed it based on not being paper mario 64. I cant say it will be great or better than the first 3 but I reserve final judgment until I actually play it

It's not because it's not a PM64 clone that we are "bashing" it. It's the fact that the changes made to the game just aren't good.

I didnt say people were bashing it because it wasnt a clone.-_- I said they are comparing it to paper mario 64 and pointing out everything it isn't. Look at this game from a different perspective. It has an innovative combat system, heralds back to the old school days of exploration without hand holding, has the unique charm prevalent in nintendo games. I admit this is all hearsay till I play it myself monday and can give a fair hands on review. It may not live up to the expectations people have set up in what they deem as the right way to make paper mario but it still has the potential to live up to what people expect from a nintendo release
---
Alt to Millamac: The Official Apollo Justice of all boards
#52LUlGIPosted 11/7/2012 6:06:05 PM
So basically look at it as a good game and a an awful paper mario game?
#53tilaroxsPosted 11/7/2012 6:17:00 PM
tilaroxs posted...
FFMaster1212 posted...
Why not put it on it's own pedestal instead of putting it on that of another, because when you do compare games you can't hold a candle to an original. For example, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker was actually a good game... However people bashed it because it wasn't better than Ocarina of Time. Same thing is happening here. Why not base it on its own merit and stop comparing it to Paper Mario 64. When you get down to it, Sticker Star could be better however nobody wants to give it a chance cause of some preconceived ideals that make no sense whatsoever. So instead of complaining about past games Play this one before you start complaining about it. Another thing Not everybody shares the same Ideas, I personally hate warfare games whereas my friends love them.

Exactly there is merit to this game but so far everyone has bashed it based on not being paper mario 64. I cant say it will be great or better than the first 3 but I reserve final judgment until I actually play it

It's not because it's not a PM64 clone that we are "bashing" it. It's the fact that the changes made to the game just aren't good.

I didnt say people were bashing it because it wasnt a clone.-_- I said they are comparing it to paper mario 64 and pointing out everything it isn't. Look at this game from a different perspective. It has an innovative combat system, heralds back to the old school days of exploration without hand holding, has the unique charm prevalent in nintendo games. I admit this is all hearsay till I play it myself monday and can give a fair hands on review. It may not live up to the expectations people have set up in what they deem as the right way to make paper mario but it still has the potential to live up to what people expect from a nintendo release

The bolded part. look at it.

Innovative battle system: it's not really needed when there is no reason to fight enemies besides bosses. Stickers system is really flawed.
exploration without hand-hand holding: I agree that this should be a factor in many games, but not to the point where you are stuck for long periods of time like many have said about this game

my opinion.
#54Capitan_KidPosted 11/7/2012 6:33:29 PM
LUlGI posted...

Yep
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
#55ApolloJusticeAAPosted 11/7/2012 6:38:30 PM
tilaroxs posted...
tilaroxs posted...
FFMaster1212 posted...

The bolded part. look at it.

Innovative battle system: it's not really needed when there is no reason to fight enemies besides bosses. Stickers system is really flawed.
exploration without hand-hand holding: I agree that this should be a factor in many games, but not to the point where you are stuck for long periods of time like many have said about this game

my opinion.

That is the truth people hate it for not following more in root with paper mario 64 and ttyd still didnt say people want it to be a clone though. I agree that from what I've heard the battle system is flawed but that is hearsay I need to play it myself because where one may find flaw another may enjoy. Same goes for the exploration I've played plenty of games that don't hold hands so the difficulty in that is subjective. Like I said I plan to reserve final judgment until I play it myself I may be turned off by it as well but its my choice to make
---
#56wiiking96Posted 11/7/2012 6:38:51 PM
McmadnessV3 posted...
You forget that stickers are picked up outside battle,

Very very different than being equipped. Heck, pretty much every thing like that is picked up outside battle, it's not special.

managed by your sticker album space,

Not in the same way at all. All the stickers are the same shapes, and you just pick them up as you go. TTYD lets you get an infinite amount of badges.

add effects on Mario during battle

This is what items did in the first two Paper Marios, like Power Punch or Boo's Sheet. Badges are managed OUTSIDE battle and let you plan how future battles are played out, and they aren't consumable. Very very different.

and do things in the field.

Stickers act as solutions to puzzles, Badges affect Mario's behavior in the field. Totally different.

PS: Comparable means they share a lot of noticeable similarities, not exactly the same as each other.

The only "similarity" the two share is that they let you attack in some form. Pretty shallow comparison if you ask me.
---
Quote and Curly Brace for Super Smash Bros 4!
Appeasing an unlimited amount of chocolate . . .
#57ApolloJusticeAAPosted 11/7/2012 6:41:01 PM
LUlGI posted...

If that's how you took it. I think it will be both a good game and a good addition to paper mario
---
#58SeaArrKingPosted 11/7/2012 6:51:34 PM
"Good" changes and "bad" changes are all subjective and relative to personal opinion. Personally, I think this game will be great fun, and am excited to play it. In short, I simply disagree with the very vocal minority that loves to make bullet points about how this game is "changing things for the worse." See, I quoted that because it's not my own opinion, someone else said it. I disagree with it, but at least I acknowledge that what I'm saying is merely my opinion and not some cold, hard fact. People are people, and they're bound to disagree. I for one am just excited to play this game. I'm also getting tired of all the bickering and arguing on this board, but I'm still here because dang it, in a twisted way I enjoy all this discourse. It's so foolish to hold one's own opinion up as fact, yet so many posters do it. It boggles my mind.
---
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Friend Code: 0989-2264-8970
#59SMASHKING84Posted 11/7/2012 6:58:16 PM
except we aren't a minority you would know that if you ever went to any other gaming site but gamefaqs.

seriously everywere i go the people saying "it doesn't matter" are out numbered several times over. this is literally the only site i go to were the majority of the memebers aren't against this game.

it's nice that you think gamefaqs is the majority when it's actually less then .001% of gamers.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon ppl who agree:3
unless i state otherwise everything i say is MY oppinon.
#60Marsford(Topic Creator)Posted 11/8/2012 9:07:10 AM(edited)
klecser posted...

I think that the number of stickers you have is irrelevant. The challenge is knowing what to keep in your album, when to use them, what order to use them in, and whether it is an appropriate risk to try for added uses in a battle using the battle spinner. Note that many reviews state that some bosses are not beatable without using the battle spinner.

As I've said a while ago, that "challenge" sounds extremely basic relative to the challenge of micro-managing TTYD's battle system.

This game is about finding balance. Many gamers are struggling with this because they are used to traditional games that PROVIDE YOU the balance and you just have to decide what order to use your established powers in. That is INHERENTLY less sophisticated than this mechanic.

I disagree.

Your enjoyment, or lack therefore,

My lower enjoyment will be due to the fact that Nintendo perfected a battle system only to get rid of it for something simpler.

SeaArrKing posted...
"Good" changes and "bad" changes are all subjective and relative to personal opinion. Personally, I think this game will be great fun, and am excited to play it. In short, I simply disagree with the very vocal minority that loves to make bullet points about how this game is "changing things for the worse." See, I quoted that because it's not my own opinion, someone else said it. I disagree with it, but at least I acknowledge that what I'm saying is merely my opinion and not some cold, hard fact. People are people, and they're bound to disagree. I for one am just excited to play this game. I'm also getting tired of all the bickering and arguing on this board, but I'm still here because dang it, in a twisted way I enjoy all this discourse. It's so foolish to hold one's own opinion up as fact, yet so many posters do it. It boggles my mind.

Okay. I agree?
---
Official Marsford of the NDF
People should really learn the difference between a troll and an idiot.